Thai government backpedals on booze ban

webfact

Making rules as you go along and passing them into law the following week is usually not a good idea....whistling.gif

This is why the legislative process exists in civilized places. That way the merits and demerits of new laws can be debated and stakeholders given a chance to weigh in.

These fools should stay in the barracks and play with their expensive toys instead of driving the country down the drain with ill-advised policies. They are not educated for nor fit for the intricacies of running a country. They have no experience for this kind of work and they are not smart enough to realize it. They hear something, react with what they think is good idea and implement it without consulting people that know more than them.

I'm very sorry to have to tell you that under Article 44 no one is deemed to know more than the PM.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easiest way is to check ID and thats it!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can buy alcohol some more meters away that all makes no sense, just enforce new regulations that are not controlled and if: just makes the pocket money of what is called corruption and i thought this PM wants to fight against it!!!!!

why not simply ban entry and the sale of alcohol in any establishment to younger than 18? The law is already there but is not enforced.

Simples same as no money no honey, no I/D =no service +no booze or is this to difficult to understand. a few bib checks on bars, large fines for anyone caught seling to under 20's, done, bib happy to share fines problem solved

Only now do the venerable words of Sir Humphrey Appleby start to make sense.....

It's clear that the Committee has agreed that your new policy is really an excellent plan. But in view of some of the doubts being expressed, may I propose that I recall that after careful consideration, the considered view of the Committee was that, while they considered that the proposal met with broad approval in principle, that some of the principles were sufficiently fundamental in principle, and some of the considerations so complex and finely balanced in practice that in principle it was proposed that the sensible and prudent practice would be to submit the proposal for more detailed consideration, laying stress on the essential continuity of the new proposal with existing principles, the principle of the principal arguments which the proposal proposes and propounds for their approval. In principle.

And to finish

To put it simply, Prime Minister, certain informal discussions took place, involving a full and frank exchange of views, out of which there arose a series of proposals which on examination proved to indicate certain promising lines of enquiry which when pursued led to the realization that the alternative courses of action might in fact, in certain circumstances, be susceptible of discreet modification, leading to a reappraisal of the original areas of difference and pointing the way to encouraging possibilities of compromise and cooperation which if bilaterally implemented with appropriate give and take on both sides might if the climate were right have a reasonable possibility at the end of the day of leading, rightly or wrongly, to a mutually satisfactory resolution.

Thank you Sir Humphrey. Even Sir Les Patterson couldn't have put it better.

You can not all of a sudden make people close there business.... Coz some Thai started writing on paper in meters LOL.

Oh yes you can just like when a falang pays for his VISa in another country and only to return here. To find new laws pay twice funny. I ask why and I know the answer already... I f a dog can licks itself it will :)

Give the bars a spell... If your that bored go cactch some criminals. That should keep you running for lets say 100 years.

And please not back pedal. BKK is sinking and it has enough pressure son.

why not simply ban entry and the sale of alcohol in any establishment to younger than 18? The law is already there but is not enforced.

Last Night in Chiang Mai Bats where raid that where breaking new law 55 under age drinkers where arrested in one bar alone

Maybe not such a bad out come

Nothing like getting everything right the first time , just because PM Prayut - O called for a ban, everything has to happen now mentality kicks in, no proper investigation , planning and no mention of compensation ( if there was I didn't notice it ) the Junta has the same gifted approach as the PTP, before anything gets said or done how about remembering the 6 P's, proper preparation prevents piss poor performance works every time, even though an Ex General wants everything done yesterday without question. coffee1.gif

These guys need to learn from the cops, and make the phone call before acting. They then know how far they can go without upsetting the people of influence, no backpedaling required.

Or they can start calling the shots and start enforcing the laws all of the laws regardless of who may be upset.

"Nothing except for the specific order signed by Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha that unequivocally states “no person shall sell alcoholic beverages within 300 meters from the boundary line of tertiary education institutions and vocational institutions.”"

Thank goodness my sons primary school is spared of this ruling.

Simples same as no money no honey, no I/D =no service +no booze or is this to difficult to understand. a few bib checks on bars, large fines for anyone caught seling to under 20's, done, bib happy to share fines problem solved

It'll never happen for the very same reason those little M&P shops are able to sell all hours and not tied to 'official sales times'. The police empathise with them as many of their own families own them. Same as five kids on a bike never being stopped. It's the cheapest way for them to get about. Plus, they wouldn't have the tea money biggrin.png

It actually isn't that funny.

These idiots are playing with the livelihoods of mostly decent folk here without thinking it through or looking at the big picture.

Off the cuff decisions like the one announced on the 23rd July should have consequences to the committees that made them IMO.

This is a very good point. I don't know about elsewhere, but at least 3 places that I know of have been put up for sale or the closed sign has gone up. One bar owner (a Thai) told us at the weekend that it just isn't worth the trouble any more and has locked the door and walked away.

Would have been SO Difficult..eh.Big Sign outside every gin joint and hooch selling outlet....in LOS....

post-13-0-28024600-1438080375_thumb.png

In Thai.(of course )......plus Bt 5,000 Fine.....shop and customer...

If they would just stop and think through something before enacting it as either law or policy. In the same week I read that the USA is wriyting laws about drones, they said it would take a year to gather and review all aspects. Thailand announced a few days later they would have drone laws placed within a month. To many other examples to list.

Open up new laws to public input for a few weeks and some basic oversights can be fixed before the law is written. But leaders know all and never miss the obvious aspects.

When I was a little boy say 5-8 years old, my grandparents used to send me to the pub to buy some bottles of beer for them. I loved it, because the owner always gave me a free Lemonade...

What is needed is a more "normalized" approach. All these restrictions are making it even more interesting for young kids / teens to consume. In an ideal world all this would not be needed.

There are too many laws already, start with enforcing some of them.

Edited by StefanBBK

One step forward and two steps back...these guys are whacked. No corruption...corruption is rampant, no drugs...sales are up, especially at full moon parties, bad cops...they're more obvious than ever, and don't even care, Good people, where the hell are they, they must have check out and left the country... Same Same, but Different

Just more loss of face.

I don,t really think so. Surely it is a good thing to admit when you have made a big mistake and proceed to rectify that mistake. I do believe the government will benefit from the general population thinking that there is someone in their midst who has a bit of common sense :) Plus now they won,t need to bulldoze down Walking Street :)

QED?

The thing that is so worrying is that these pompous sort of decisions are coming form people who tell us they are the "only ones" who can set the country straight.....yet time and again they give us the impression that in fact they are totally incompetent.

why do these people think that they are immune to normal government process.....if they want to tinker in the day to day life of the country, they should at least do their research and preparation properly

No surprises there then ! FIRE ! er no, Fire !, no let's just have a look, Fire ! , no, well let's go find a farang to do the firing then ........ Good idea, then we can blame it on them....... I hope to god that the Thai military never have to fight...... Far better put the LBs out of Nana up front........... Much more formidable army......

As predicted. A lot of fuss about nothing.

Call it trial and error, or learning from mistakes and correcting them. Should they have a national referendum over every issue?

To be honest the "fuss" I was referring to was the fuss created on this Forum.