Public Transportation Chiang Mai..

les1

Does anyone know of a new transportation system in Chiang Mai. I have been overseas since April prior to that I was under the impression that the City was introducing a new Bus System. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thank you........thumbsup.gif

There are new signs and directories up next to the new refurbished bus shelters in Huay Keaw Rd.

I'm sure they're helpful, but as I and a few million tourists cannot read Thai, they're not a lot of help. bah.gif

I think they are basically new routes for the songtaews.

If they provided a decent, working and affordable bus service, the baht bus bandits would go apesh**.

The signs are in Thai and the services are straight line pretty well. I think this is an effort by the song taew drivers to appease demands for a working bus service. By the time you waste time going from one bus to another possibly 2 or 3 (to get to your destination) and waiting at the bus stop it is easier and cheaper to flag down a songtaew and travel directly to your destination. They should have bus routes that travel in loops to a large mall or shopping area and back again. I think the Pitsanulok city bus service would be a good example plus songtaew operators had signs up at the bus station quoting fares. A good starting point for this service would be the Chang Phuak bus station.

In short not a chance.cheesy.gif

They may introduce some thing to cover a very limited area such as the routes that they have for some songthaew's. But never any thing of real use t travel around town. for instance from Chiang Mai gate to the Railroad station then to say Mai Rim or any other community.

They may introduce some thing to cover a very limited area such as the routes that they have for some songthaew's. But never any thing of real use t travel around town. for instance from Chiang Mai gate to the Railroad station then to say Mai Rim or any other community.

My son was watching a segment on the Thai news last night. There was mention of approval for a CM light rail (overhead wires) running on the CM streets (street level).

Nothing today in the English language sites.

And perhaps a route going down the superhighway right out to Thai Watsadu. There are many new / old villages within a few hundred metres of the superhighway, right out to Thai Watsudu and even further.

Overhead footbridges of course almost non existent.