Someone suggested AliExpress for orders

Be aware that you may also have customs duties (especially if sent by private service). My one try with them of under $100 item by normal post was I had to go to post office and pay customs duty (about 1000 baht) and found item was destroyed (electronic) after return home (300 more baht for trip). Although sent them photos proving total damage (strung along for almost a week with new requests) only recourse they offered was my sending back and them sending replacement in same manner (no packing at all - just thin paper display box) - but if I were willing to pay for a new unit they would pack better.

That said have seen others reporting much better luck.

I had my orders sent by China Post. The last one arrived in under a week from when I ordered it I guess it really depends on the supplier. On the last three orders they put sample $10 on the packet and I paid no duty

I have had fairly good luck using the China Post shipping option, takes a little longer, but never paid any duty but most items were small so did not attract attention.

On the other hand, read the ads carefully and in the fine print there are some suppliers at AliExpress that can take up to two weeks just to process your order, add that to the slow shipping times and Lazada is sometimes a better option if what you want is available there

I have used AliExpress on numerous occasions for items big and small, of high and low value. Frankly the quality of service depends on the individual supplier. Many are good, some are shonky - same as Amazon.

A few times I have made claims re shonkies or faulty products and I have found that if I am willing to wade through their procedures and supply the evidence, AliExpress are true to their word.

Of course how well an individual item is package is wrapped is entirely in the hands of the actual supplier - again, same as Amazon.

If the item is worth $200 and you choose to pay for a private courier, expect to pay hefty import duties also. If you want a good chance of avoiding them, choose the slower China Post or better, if it is offered, Swiss Post. Delivery time can vary from 2 to six weeks using China Post.

I've used AliExpress for about 20 orders: two tablets, several phones, some phone cases, batteries, ect. China Post has never been more than a month and a number of times I've been surprised to receive my goods in less than 15 days. As others have said, a lot depends on how long the seller takes to process and ship the order.

I've used FedEx and DHL a few times when I was in a hurry and goods always arrived in the specified time.

I've always been assessed duty on phones & tablets. For DHL and FedEx shipments, I leave money with my building receptionist, usually about B300 for a $200 phone and that usually comes pretty close. For China Post, I usually get a notice and have to pick-up & pay at the local P.O.

FWIW, I've always found it helps expedite things to use the AliExpress chat function to communicate with the seller before submitting the purchase and try to get them to commit to shipping within 24 hours. They want positive feedback so they will usually agree and follow through.

Edited by dddave

• 6 months later...

Once, i wanted to order something from AliExpress. After the registration they asked me for a copy of my passport to identify myself. No thanks.

I'm facing the same thing -- using a CC from outside Thailand to ship to Thailand, so the ordered was cancelled due to "security reasons"

I chatted with customer support and they told me to go to the Alipay site to change my account address to match my CC address. I did that and gave my passport number -- but no copy of it -- it still didn't help. The seller told me to re-order. I did and it was cancelled again.

I guess I'l have to break down and get Thai bank CC or give them a scan of my license then wait again to see if the Aliexpress gods deem me worthy of shopping at their site. Problem is that they have deals and mainly deals on stuff you can't find (easily) here.

Does anybody have experience with Aliexpress shipments using PostNL (Netherlands Post)? The item I want is about $US 80 and has free shipping with PostNL.

PostNL is OK. Had to work once in Den Hage and decided to expedite my belongings to Thailand.

Later on, I've purchased pieces for my bicycle and a master board for my HDTV. Everything was delivered between 1 or 2 weeks.

Edited by Thorgal

High value item via courier = almost certainty of customs taxes PLUS processing fees.

On the other hand I usually don't get charged for items sent by post. But then most of my orders are less than $100.

Does anybody have experience with Aliexpress shipments using PostNL (Netherlands Post)? The item I want is about $US 80 and has free shipping with PostNL.

I think shippers need to use certain carriers like PostNL if the shipment contains large (or large quantities of) lithium batteries. I've ordered batteries from Gearbest and Banggood and both sellers shipped them via PostNL. It always takes a long time to ship this way - as long as six weeks.

Edited by puuchaibaa

Once, i wanted to order something from AliExpress. After the registration they asked me for a copy of my passport to identify myself. No thanks.

I'm facing the same thing -- using a CC from outside Thailand to ship to Thailand, so the ordered was cancelled due to "security reasons"

I chatted with customer support and they told me to go to the Alipay site to change my account address to match my CC address. I did that and gave my passport number -- but no copy of it -- it still didn't help. The seller told me to re-order. I did and it was cancelled again.

I guess I'l have to break down and get Thai bank CC or give them a scan of my license then wait again to see if the Aliexpress gods deem me worthy of shopping at their site. Problem is that they have deals and mainly deals on stuff you can't find (easily) here.

I see. I also wanted to get shipped my order to Thailand. But the cc is based on a address in europe. The same thing happens with a PayPal account which seems to be pointless abroad for local shipments. Hilarious.

I see. I also wanted to get shipped my order to Thailand. But the cc is based on a address in europe. The same thing happens with a PayPal account which seems to be pointless abroad for local shipments. Hilarious.

Get a Thai PayPal account and when applying just use your Thai address.

You are only limited to one PayPal account per email address. Easy to link a Thai PayPal account to a Thai bank ATM card as opposed to linking it to a Thai Bank account, which is only really necessary if you want to receive funds via PayPal

Since Thai PayPal is handled out of Singapore, language is no problem and their CSR's can be very helpful

Since Thai PayPal is handled out of Singapore, language is no problem and their CSR's can be very helpful

Talking with them is no problem if directly to PayPal - but they they seem to switch to Thai when ordering from Ebay regardless of my IP address for there payment gateway.

Get a Thai PayPal account and when applying just use your Thai address.

You are only limited to one PayPal account per email address. Easy to link a Thai PayPal account to a Thai bank ATM card as opposed to linking it to a Thai Bank account, which is only really necessary if you want to receive funds via PayPal

Thank for the reply

When I was chatting with Aliexpress customer support, I asked about Paypal, and the rep said they don't use Paypal - period. They have their own version called Alipay. I have Paypal and just received goods from an online store based in Thailand using my foreign Paypal/visa account.

Edited by Inn Between