How will my child be exempted by Buddhist teaching in a Thai School?

bestathens

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bestathens, the answer to your question is really simple. As of right now Thailand's constitution allows true freedom of religion to every Thai citizen and the expression of that religion is guaranteed. So just let the principle of the school and their teachers know they are Christian and they can opt out of any Buddhist ceremonies and holidays. Most schools are very considerate of all religions and will work with you. God bless you and pray you will find favor with their schools.

My parents (and I eventually learned to love them very much) are both dead now, but they originally brought me up as "Church of England," they hated all, Roman Catholics, Jewish people, and people of Colour. Then they moved on to a more fundamentalist sect, and in their own loving way, as I now see, tried to force their beliefs on me, including the embarrassment of not doing Morning Prayers with my schoolmates, not playing with my friends on Sundays, going to constant religious meetings one after the other... Move on 50 years and I am essentially atheist, but with Buddhist influence.

I guess my message to the OP is, try as you might, and I do understand why. Your children will make their own minds up... If you caused them nothing but pain and embarrassment in their school years, you will lose the battle for their hearts and minds. Make no mistake, it's a battle, and by making them stand out amongst their peers will only have the opposite effect of what you"lovingly" want.

It always intrigued me that children of Catholics were always Catholic and children of Protestants were always Protestants, but they were only the religion they were because of their parents. Most people don't question the beliefs they are given as a child and the susceptible hold those beliefs for their whole life, almost like a crutch to support them. If it were my child I wouldn't object to the exposure to Buddhism teachings in school, you can teach what you want at home and she can make up her own mind. Why do you feel the need that she has to believe what you believe?

I am repeating the question is "How to do...?" so if you are kind enough, keep your own opinions about relegion for you, I am asking for ways not for criticism. You can open another thread against Christians or Obama or smurfs...

Thanks

Good luck with that on this forum. There are too many on here that will always offer their unsolicited "sage" advice.

In my school, which is a Thai government school, we have had several Christian students in the past few years, generally those who grew up for awhile in the states or Europe. During the Buddhist ceremonies these students will only be in attendance (as I am), they don't actually take part in the ceremony itself. The Thai teachers understand these students are not Buddhist and certainly do not try to make them perform any ceremony they don't want to take part in. However, they will take Buddhism classes and learn a little about Buddhism and its history.

You downgrade sage advice from other people, then proceed to give your own... What's with that?

I am repeating the question is "How to do...?" so if you are kind enough, keep your own opinions about relegion for you, I am asking for ways not for criticism. You can open another thread against Christians or Obama or smurfs...

Thanks

Good luck with that on this forum. There are too many on here that will always offer their unsolicited "sage" advice.

In my school, which is a Thai government school, we have had several Christian students in the past few years, generally those who grew up for awhile in the states or Europe. During the Buddhist ceremonies these students will only be in attendance (as I am), they don't actually take part in the ceremony itself. The Thai teachers understand these students are not Buddhist and certainly do not try to make them perform any ceremony they don't want to take part in. However, they will take Buddhism classes and learn a little about Buddhism and its history.

You downgrade sage advice from other people, then proceed to give your own... What's with that?

No, I wasn't attempting to give any advice at all, I was actually trying to answer the OP's question. I personally don't care how she raises her child, but I do have experience in the Thai schools with Christian students, no "advice" given, just what I've observed.

Thanks

So you don't realize that it is YOU that started the antagonism?

Why did you have to mention the name of your particular sect? You could have asked a neutral question too.

Next you enlightened us about where to find the truth, while having a go at atheists and at other religions.

You reap what you sow.

It always intrigued me that children of Catholics were always Catholic and children of Protestants were always Protestants, but they were only the religion they were because of their parents. Most people don't question the beliefs they are given as a child and the susceptible hold those beliefs for their whole life, almost like a crutch to support them. If it were my child I wouldn't object to the exposure to Buddhism teachings in school, you can teach what you want at home and she can make up her own mind. Why do you feel the need that she has to believe what you believe?

Very true.

But why single out those 2 christian sects?

What you say is true for every religion.

Schools should offer initiations to all religions AND to atheism.

Thanks

Why did you have to mention the name of your particular sect? You could have asked a neutral question too.

Next you enlightened us about where to find the truth, while having a go at atheists and at other religions.

You reap what you sow.

If you were a bit educated about religions you would know that Catholics, Protestants and Eastern Orthodoxs are not sect... You are biased by your beliefs to give a name...

Very true.

But why single out those 2 christian sects?

What you say is true for every religion.

Schools should offer initiations to all religions AND to atheism.

At the time of going through school those were the religions I was exposed to, Apart from one person who was a Jehova's Witness I think that was pretty much it of the people that I remember from school, so that is the only reason for mentioning them, no other specific reason.

As a Christian you are may or may not be aware that during Jesus' undocumented years from 14 - 29 years old he spent his time in Kashmir discovering the teachings of the Buddha. That is why, when he returned home, his teachings bore a remarkable resemblance to Buddhist teachings and little or no connection to the Judaism he grew up with. Although there will be a lot of superstition taught in Thai classrooms just think of the connection between the Buddha and Jesus. It might make you more comfortable.

This is a lie that atheists and other religions use... The truth is written inside the Gospels and says that he was working as a carpenter all these years in Nazareth.

Thanks for your advises but my question was "how to do...?" not "If what I want to do is right or wrong?"

As a non-religious person, I always have to chuckle when believers dismiss a different perspective as a lie :-)

Thanks

You reap what you sow.

If you were a bit educated about religions you would know that Catholics, Protestants and Eastern Orthodoxs are not sect... You are biased by your beliefs to give a name...

There..... it happened again, I got lured into a meaningless discussion with a religious zealot.

When will I ever learn?

But it is fun though....

My problem is what you are suggesting is pure segregation - you are imposing your belief values on a child.

You are only concerned with yourself- you live in a Buddhist country- where the teachings of the Buddha impinge on everyday life.

You cannot escape it.

Have you thought about the child- has to sit at the back and not be involved with the rest of the classmates.

Religion is of course total nonsense - to believe in supernatural all powerful beings is just illogical.

Maybe your kid will decide to be a Buddhist- no god - oh dear that will not go down too well- but probably a wise choice.

As a Christian you are may or may not be aware that during Jesus' undocumented years from 14 - 29 years old he spent his time in Kashmir discovering the teachings of the Buddha. That is why, when he returned home, his teachings bore a remarkable resemblance to Buddhist teachings and little or no connection to the Judaism he grew up with. Although there will be a lot of superstition taught in Thai classrooms just think of the connection between the Buddha and Jesus. It might make you more comfortable.

and at the same time he was visiting Glastonbury in the UK, what is your reason for saying that Jesus lived in Kashmir or is it just a folk tale like Glastonbury

Sorry to burst the bubble. It's not just Glastonbury and Kashmir.smile.png

This is a lie that atheists and other religions use... The truth is written inside the Gospels and says that he was working as a carpenter all these years in Nazareth.

Thanks for your advises but my question was "how to do...?" not "If what I want to do is right or wrong?"

samjaidee is right.....Jesus had Buddhism teaching before starting Judaism learnings at age 13 to become a rabi.. Later, he chose other ways to be religious, and a leader, when he didn't agree with his teachers and the Judaism faith and believes. In reality..do not have precise accounts of Jesus whereabouts after his teenager times, and before his mentoring and death.

In Buddhism teaching, Jesus is researched, together with many other important religious figures, and named also "Buddhas"......

Buddhism is NOT a religion...it is a way of thinking.....and a way of life...and older than any other..that inspired many modern religions.

As a Christian you are may or may not be aware that during Jesus' undocumented years from 14 - 29 years old he spent his time in Kashmir discovering the teachings of the Buddha

This is a lie that atheists and other religions use... The truth is written inside the Gospels

??? Atheists claim that Jesus studied buddhism in Kashmir???

When I read your opening post, I sympathized with you. Now I think your child is not worse off with buddhist nonsense then with your christian nonsense.

Im with you nidienimaitre As MARK TWAIN SAID: If Jesus was here now one thing he wouldnt be is a Christian

who cares, really get a life, it's just the same rubbish with a different theme, although one could say if you really and truly are a religious nu... i mean person, you could view true Buddhism as a philosophy and not a religion, whatever, your child will grow up in a world full of conflicting views and will be indoctrinated by,not the religion,but the government system under which she lives. Get off of your soap box, religion isn't important in the age of reason.

who cares, really get a life, it's just the same rubbish with a different theme, although one could say if you really and truly are a religious nu... i mean person, you could view true Buddhism as a philosophy and not a religion, whatever, your child will grow up in a world full of conflicting views and will be indoctrinated by,not the religion,but the government system under which she lives. Get off of your soap box, religion isn't important in the age of reason

100 % on topic... it is your opinion make another thread to expose it.

who cares, really get a life, it's just the same rubbish with a different theme, although one could say if you really and truly are a religious nu... i mean person, you could view true Buddhism as a philosophy and not a religion, whatever, your child will grow up in a world full of conflicting views and will be indoctrinated by,not the religion,but the government system under which she lives. Get off of your soap box, religion isn't important in the age of reason

That's what the forum is for, to express an opinion, no need to get your knickers in a twist, turn the other cheek, i wont cut your ear off but even if i did you would know who could stick it back on for you.

That's what the forum is for, to express an opinion, no need to get your knickers in a twist, turn the other cheek, i wont cut your ear off but even if i did you would know who could stick it back on for you.

This becomes offensive and personal... I could reply in the same style but I wish to end it here as it seems worthless to discuss with you... I will obey the Moderator and end it here. However I can understand that "bullying" exist into this forum...

Edited by bestathens

Don't know whether Jesus went to Kashmir, stormed the euro tunnel, or even if he even existed...but think it funny you are inferring that Thai superstition is over the top to a Christian whose whole faith is founded on a ghost....555555555

Question : a) Celebrating the birthdays of King and Queen have or not participation of monks? B) Camps where the kids stay one week at the temple are or not religious activities?

Happens to know because they take place in my school...

Unfortunately for you and others, Kingship and Buddhism are inextricable intertwined in the Divine Comedy that is Thailand. There is relatively little Buddhist trappings in Thai public schools, and you could easily, and without risk of prejudice, make a request to excuse your child from the few such activities that might exist; although such things as making a krathong for Loi Krathong is a pretty harmless activity. But when it comes to that intersection of faith and the monarchy, your child will have to act in public just as any Thai would, just as you stand in a movie theater during the brief video hagiographic film of His Majesty presented before the main feature is shown. A certain amount of respect and following procedure will be expected in such cases and if this is perceived by you as unacceptable then perhaps you will need to find a private school.

Thai public schools are widely varying in acceptance of others and in quality. I had one friend in a neighboring district who had to remove their child because of permitted harassment of their luuk khreung child. In the adjacent school our kids were welcome by one and all without any incident. And as relates to quality, Thai public schools tend to be mediocre at best. The issue of Buddhist teachings should be the least of your worries: better they be exposed to Buddhism then suffer a Thai education.

I would have thought a knowledge of other beliefs would be benificial to a child. Keeping them away from other beliefs is essentially forcing them to follow what you the parents believe in. I can only assume that later in life you child will not be encouraged to make up their own mind in this respect. Is there an inherent fear in you to want to isolate your child from the world?

Depending or where you are, there are many Christian schools located throughout the country. I'm agnostic but do believe in your right to practice what you believe, unlike many of the posters on here. If you want to be criticized then you've come to the right place.......full of ignorant, beer swelling, bar banging <deleted> who know more about raising your children than you do. Just google and you shall receive.