Is this a change to the way UK visa fees are charged ?

This was released by UKVI yesterday as an "update" :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/entry-clearance-fees-ecb06/ecb06-entry-clearance-fees

It contains this sentence :

"Fees can be paid in Locally Acceptable Currency, which is determined by the country where the applicant will provide biometrics."

There has been a lot of discussion over the past year or so about why visa fees are charged in US$. maybe this is a quiet way of changing it ? Maybe not.

Tony M

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

"Fees for entry clearance and related services are set in UK legislation in UK pounds (GBP). Changes to the Fees are approved by the UK Parliament. Fees can be paid in Locally Acceptable Currency, which is determined by the country where the applicant will provide biometrics. The exchange rate is determined by the UK Consular Rate of Exchange mechanism and may be subject to change."

I don't think the previous paragraph governs this paragraph. What is interesting is that it states that the fees are set by the UK Parliament in UK Pounds and that fees can be paid in locally acceptable currency determined by the country where biometrics are taken. So that suggests that the locally acceptable currency in Thailand is US$ as that is how we have had to pay for some time. My reading of this is no change but I would be happy to be wrong on this.

I note that they use the term "Locally Acceptable Currency" and by making the first letters in capitals possible makes it a quasi legal/contractual term. So I googled it and lifted the following from the terms and conditions of a non-related organisation :-

"Locally Acceptable Currency" means the currency We define as an acceptable currency in which payment can be made, in relation to a country of application. Normally this will be the national currency of the country of application but in some instance the national currency is not designated as the currency of payment, because of limitations dictated by the global financial services market and Our online payment service provider.

I sense a bit of backside covering from UKVI!

"Fees for entry clearance and related services are set in UK legislation in UK pounds (GBP). Changes to the Fees are approved by the UK Parliament. Fees can be paid in Locally Acceptable Currency, which is determined by the country where the applicant will provide biometrics. The exchange rate is determined by the UK Consular Rate of Exchange mechanism and may be subject to change."

I don't think the previous paragraph governs this paragraph. What is interesting is that it states that the fees are set by the UK Parliament in UK Pounds and that fees can be paid in locally acceptable currency determined by the country where biometrics are taken. So that suggests that the locally acceptable currency in Thailand is US$ as that is how we have had to pay for some time. My reading of this is no change but I would be happy to be wrong on this.

+ 1

I note that they use the term "Locally Acceptable Currency" and by making the first letters in capitals possible makes it a quasi legal/contractual term. So I googled it and lifted the following from the terms and conditions of a non-related organisation :-

"Locally Acceptable Currency" means the currency We define as an acceptable currency in which payment can be made, in relation to a country of application. Normally this will be the national currency of the country of application but in some instance the national currency is not designated as the currency of payment, because of limitations dictated by the global financial services market and Our online payment service provider.

I guess that brings us back to one of the original questions - why doesn't the UK govt or the Service Provider consider UK Sterling to be a Locally Acceptable Currency" ?

Tony M

• Like 2

I guess that brings us back to one of the original questions - why doesn't the UK govt or the Service Provider consider UK Sterling to be a Locally Acceptable Currency" ?

Tony M

UK government won't give a toss - they get their GBP 85.

Question best directed towards Vfs Global.

Tony M

Possibly because if the service provider was paid in Sterling, it might be located and taxed in the UK. Being paid in $US means the registered office can be anywhere, thereby avoiding tax. Ironic if this were true.

Tony M

Possibly because if the service provider was paid in Sterling, it might be located and taxed in the UK. Being paid in $US means the registered office can be anywhere, thereby avoiding tax. Ironic if this were true.

Sorry Jinners but I don't really understand what you mean. The service provider I take to mean VFS in Thailand. Apparently they are a Swiss corporation who have a contract with the British government. I would imagine this to be for a fixed fee possibly ratcheted up if applications reach certain levels. They are very unlikely to get a percentage of each fee. I don't think that tax is the issue here as VFS would have to pay tax in Switzerland. The real issue in my opinion is the currency used in payment of visas. This is a decision made by HMG based on commercial considerations. I personally think that they have decided not to allow payment in GBP because they would then lose about 8% of total fees in the exchange rate rip-off. That is scandalous.

Tony M

UK government won't give a toss - they get their GBP 85.

Question best directed towards Vfs Global.

Nothing to do with VFS.

The UK Parliament sets the fees in Sterling.

The UK government decided to collect those fees in USD at an exchange rate very favourable to them; which means once converted back to Sterling they actually get quite a bit more than the actual fee set by Parliament!.

Fees are paid direct to UKVI online, via WorldPay, and VFS play no part in fee collection anymore.

WorldPay will process payments in any currency of their clients' choosing. Which means there is no reason why UK visa fees cannot be paid in Sterling; despite the pathetic excuses for charging in USD given by the Home Office and UKVI.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

"Locally Acceptable Currency" means the currency We define as an acceptable currency in which payment can be made, in relation to a country of application. Normally this will be the national currency of the country of application but in some instance the national currency is not designated as the currency of payment, because of limitations dictated by the global financial services market and our online payment service provider.

The bit I've highlighted in bold, looks almost word perfect to one of the standard feeble excuses trotted out by UKVI as reported in the other older thread on this topic. Reading that again just reminds me that I haven't yet heard one good reason from UKVI as to why dollars is used in preference to pounds sterling. Doubt I ever will.

Edited by TCA
  • Like 1

I think that the paragraph above determines if you can pay in a local currency. It says:

If online payments are not mandatory

This is the hinge pin.

I think that you will find that if you cannot pay online then you cannot make the visa application in Thailand and have to go to another county.

I seem to remember that when I did it a couple of months back that pay online was the only option for Bangkok. There is nothing local about online payments.