PM Prayut rejects idea to use TPP to improve TIP standing

webfact

HUMAN TRAFFICKING
PM rejects idea to use TPP to improve TIP standing

The Nation

Says transpacific partnership trade scheme is not good for the Kingdom

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday brushed off an idea to link trade negotiations in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) scheme with the placement of Thailand in Tier 3 of the trafficking in persons (TIP) report, saying the scheme was not good for Thailand.

"What will we get and what will we lose if we join the scheme [in exchange for a better placement]?" he said.

"We would be pressured on drug patents and other [trade issues].

"I don't know, maybe the previous government wanted to join [the TPP] but I don't buy that," he said.

"But don't blame them [the previous government], it is not a political [ploy]. I would say only we have to accept and comply with the rules and solve the problem."

Prayut said he would not argue or create any dispute with the US over the TIP report but would continue to combat human trafficking.

"Thailand has investigated, prosecuted and convicted more than 100 traffickers," he said. "Look what we did and what the other country which was upgraded from Tier 3 did. I don't need to say anything, we [are doing] our part," he said.

Army to follow guidelines

Army chief General Udomdej Sitabutr said the Army and security units would continue to follow the government's strict anti-human trafficking regulations. The commitment was made even as the US decided to maintain Thailand on Tier 3 in its human trafficking report, he told reporters, before visiting the troops in the South of Thailand.

General Udomdej is confident Thailand will improve its rating for cracking down on human trafficking in the next round of evaluations, as the responsible agencies were doing their best to address the issue.

Social Development and Human Security Ministry permanent secretary Wichian Chavalit said the placement of Thailand in Tier 3 for another year would not change anything in the fight against human trafficking.

The government will not solve the trafficking problem for a better rating in the TIP report but for our own sake, he said.

"But, if you asked why Thailand remained on the lowest level, I would say there were two groups of countries in Tier 3; the backward countries and enemies of the US," he said.

"For us, we [made much] progress over the past year."

However Thailand remained with three unsolved problems in dealing with the prosecution of traffickers, he said.

"We have problems finding the victims, the data base and witnesses for the prosecution," he said.

In the eastern coastal province of Rayong, Pol Colonel Saneh Janyasathit, the deputy provincial police chief, called a meeting of agencies in the province to seek a solution for illegal fishing and for illegal migrants working in the fishery sector.

Opas Prasong, president of the Klang Fishery Association in the province complained that officials only talked about regulations but the authorities could not provide sufficient services to help fishing trawlers comply with the regulations.

"The authorities demand that we check our fishing boats but we have to wait in the queue for a long time to have them checked, which wastes a lot of time," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-rejects-idea-to-use-TPP-to-improve-TIP-standing-30265528.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-30

Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday brushed off an idea to link trade negotiations in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) scheme with the placement of Thailand in Tier 3 of the trafficking in persons (TIP) report, saying the scheme was not good for Thailand.[/b]

"What will we get and what will we lose if we join the scheme [in exchange for a better placement]?" he said.

"We would be pressured on drug patents and other [trade issues].

Customs agents don't want to lose their primary source of income by adopting international duty standards. So much for cleaning up corruption.

"The authorities demand that we check our fishing boats but we have to wait in the queue for a long time to have them checked, which wastes a lot of time,"

says it all, how much he really cares wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Good for the general, any US sponsored trade scheme is primarily for US benefit, i.e. their corporations.

So if the Thai fishing industry had sanctions placed on it by the US so they (the US) can not buy cheep sea food is to their benefit huh? much like the EU and the pending red card and trade sanctions also.

The problem has been around for a long long time and Thailand has been warned again and again to do something about it, only in the last few months has there been any progress and still the court cases are pending, no sentences for those involved in the slave trade yet, just talk.

But credit where credit is due the ball is rolling on this issue, just to late for the report to reflect it this year.

Do you think the tier 3 rating and the pending red card is warranted or not?

"Good for the general" for what? considering he has told the media to stop reporting and asking questions on the issue, Yeah "good for the general"

Do you live here or just blow in now and again and make comment without knowing the facts or what mate?

Good for the general, any US sponsored trade scheme is primarily for US benefit, i.e. their corporations.

Amusing, but somewhat depressing. Do you even know what the TPP is about?

I find it amusing because multiple groups in the USA claim that trade agreements are bad for US workers because it leads to job losses. They then point at "evil" Mexico which gained jobs from the USA. You consider the USA as the bogeyman, but US workers do not understand why the USA should sign and give other countries easier access into the USA market, when the USA is blocked from those countries' markets.

I find it depressing as you obviously haven't the slightest clue what the TPP is about. Are you aware that the TPP was an agreement that was initially agreed to by New Zealand, Singapore, Chile and Brunei? The USA isn't even a signatory but is negotiating to sign, just as Canada, Australia, Vietnam, Japan, Peru, Malaysia and Mexico are negotiating to sign. Do you have a problem with countries having better access to some western markets and reduced trade barriers and costs?

What's wrong with lowering tariffs in return for fair access to a market; agreeing to intellectual property rights so that profiteers can not steal other people's work and then sell it; enforcing standards for fair wages and safe working conditions, i.e. labour standards; and enforcing basic environmental protection standards?

Amusing, but somewhat depressing. Do you even know what the TPP is about?

I find it amusing because multiple groups in the USA claim that trade agreements are bad for US workers because it leads to job losses. They then point at "evil" Mexico which gained jobs from the USA. You consider the USA as the bogeyman, but US workers do not understand why the USA should sign and give other countries easier access into the USA market, when the USA is blocked from those countries' markets.

I find it depressing as you obviously haven't the slightest clue what the TPP is about. Are you aware that the TPP was an agreement that was initially agreed to by New Zealand, Singapore, Chile and Brunei? The USA isn't even a signatory but is negotiating to sign, just as Canada, Australia, Vietnam, Japan, Peru, Malaysia and Mexico are negotiating to sign. Do you have a problem with countries having better access to some western markets and reduced trade barriers and costs?

What's wrong with lowering tariffs in return for fair access to a market; agreeing to intellectual property rights so that profiteers can not steal other people's work and then sell it; enforcing standards for fair wages and safe working conditions, i.e. labour standards; and enforcing basic environmental protection standards?

The good general probably didn't learn much economics in the military economy. He knows how to drive a tank though.

The General is right. ThaiVisa posters who think otherwise should do their homework on this covertly drafted and negotiated "free trade" deal, which is in essence a Trojan horse enabling giant US corporations to exploit the markets of less powerful nations. It will have a devastating effect on living standards across countries like Thailand and undermine their sovereignty. Thank your lucky stars that Wall Street proxy Thaksin was sent packing - otherwise it would be a done deal.

Try this link for starters: http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/07/9-ways-the-tpp-is-bad-for-developing-countries/

quote article nation::

"
In the eastern coastal province of Rayong, Pol Colonel Saneh Janyasathit, the deputy provincial police chief, called a meeting of agencies in the province to seek a solution for illegal fishing and for illegal migrants working in the fishery sector. "

rather late!! Comment on the rating (tier 3) ??

Perhaps all countries should adjust their strategies so they, and their corporations, do not benefit? Trade schemes are much like a chess game. There are winners and losers. The "experts" and critics, who sit on the side-lines, are often the loudest noise makers.

Yes they will all be moving to Vietnam and shipping back to the USA. As Mayalasia is a signatory of the TPP it seems funny that they moved up to level 2 hmmm

The General is right. ThaiVisa posters who think otherwise should do their homework on this covertly drafted and negotiated "free trade" deal, which is in essence a Trojan horse enabling giant US corporations to exploit the markets of less powerful nations. It will have a devastating effect on living standards across countries like Thailand and undermine their sovereignty. Thank your lucky stars that Wall Street proxy Thaksin was sent packing - otherwise it would be a done deal.

Try this link for starters: http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/07/07/9-ways-the-tpp-is-bad-for-developing-countries/

Free trade deals are never free, they benefit a few at the expense of many.