Thailand's first citizen's charter puts bureaucracy to real test

webfact

THAI TALK
Thailand's first citizen's charter puts bureaucracy to real test

Suthichai Yoon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's first "citizen's charter" has come into being, with an official launch ceremony chaired by Premier Prayut Chan-o-cha. But don't be surprised if the majority of the Thai people still aren't quite aware of its existence.

It has taken years to push through a law that requires government officials to "serve" the people, instead of "lording it over" citizens who are at the mercy of government agencies empowered to decide whether or not to issue permits of various kinds.

Corruption is rampant when officials can legally use their own judgement to decide, without a time limit, whether or not to grant permission to a citizen, on everything from birth certificates to applying for a permit to open a factory.

The idea of a citizen's charter is basically to improve public services by:

• Making civil servants more accountable and "citizen-friendly".

• Ensuring transparency and the people's right to information.

• Enforcing measures to motivate bureaucrats to genuinely "serve the people".

• Reducing or eliminate corruption in bureaucracy.

After prolonged efforts by the private sector, a law finally came into effect on July 21 requiring all government agencies to produce individual "people's handbooks" that specify the procedures, rules and regulations, conditions (if any) and, most importantly, clearly laid-down deadlines for the finalisation of each application from a citizen.

Each government agency is also required to set up one-stop services (officially known as "the joint service centre") where all activities related to citizens' applications for permits or licences can be centralised. The legal buzzword for this process is, "Providing convenience to citizens."

In the past, offering "convenience" was never a priority in the normal working pattern of bureaucrats. In fact, the reverse was true. Government officials were there to flaunt their authority rather than to "serve". Hence the general perception among the general public that getting into contact with government agencies was almost always a horrendous experience and best avoided if possible.

The new law directs that the "people's handbooks" - which must be displayed both visibly at prominent locations as well as digitally, online - must lay down specific information on how many days a particular kind of application will take before a decision is made by the authorities. The duration of the application consideration process must also be judged "appropriate" in length by the Bureaucratic Development Commission (BDC), which is authorised to recommend corrective action to the Cabinet if it considers any handbook rules to be unacceptably restrictive to the public.

Once the consideration period is over, authorities are legally required to inform the applicant of their decision within seven days. If there is a delay in this process, authorities must provide the applicant with reasons for the delay every seven days, in writing, until a decision is made. A copy of this explanation must also be submitted to the BDC.

Does this new law represent a real revolution that will shake up the bloated bureaucracy? The jury is still out. The real test has yet to begin.

The interior and foreign ministries have proved, despite the absence of citizen's charter legislation, that they can process the issuance of ID cards and passports with admirable efficiency, once the decision to be "citizen-friendly" is vigorously implemented - and the people have access to information and the right to lodge complaints against inefficiency and corruption.

The test for the new, comprehensive "people's charter" will be in how rigorously the clauses of the law are implemented, particularly those that demand a dramatic change in civil servants' attitude towards their daily work - from being the "boss" to being the "servant" of the public. It's a tall order, but it is an order that can't be ignored in an era when social media can place any misbehaving civil servant in the spotlight almost immediately.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Thailands-first-citizens-charter-puts-bureaucracy--30265515.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-30

It would be nice if this were an effective measure. Enabling the individual to challenge individuals in government.

However, they have charters in the UK. Passenger charters on trains for example. Which are notoriously late and provide opportunities to complain but no real recourse for recompense or accountability.

2 responses.

1 The individual was constrained by bureaucracy

2 The complainant cannot complain about the individual without proof the individual wasn't following bureaucratic regulations - Investigated by the manager (who has a personal relationship and vested interest in perpetuating any corruption).

Charters sound great, but are employed by governments interested in duck shoving.

It's hard not to be automatically cynical. But as Sutthichai points out, the Interior and Foreign ministries have shown that bureaucrats can be resonsible, and responsive, to the people, who ultimately are their masters. I'd like to add in the Immigration Dept, which if the Jomtien branch is anything to go by, is becoming very efficient. My experiences at the Social Security and Revenue Dept offices also show there are competent staff who believe in helping the public. The main problem as I see it is not the avenues of complaint about civil servants' ineptitude or corruption, but willingness on the part of those entrusted to take action on our behalf.

"After prolonged efforts by the private sector, a law finally came into effect on July 21 requiring all government agencies to produce individual "people's handbooks" that specify the procedures, rules and regulations, conditions (if any) and, most importantly, clearly laid-down deadlines for the finalisation of each application from a citizen."

"The new law directs that the "people's handbooks" - which must be displayed both visibly at prominent locations as well as digitally, online - must lay down specific information on how many days a particular kind of application will take before a decision is made by the authorities."

Any link to the online version of the "people's handbooks" with the mentioned "consideration periods" or any "specific information on how many days" it will take to put it online? Where? What's the "consideration period" for this task?

At least we now basically know what the government means with "The idea of a citizen's charter". Mission accomplished, I guess.

It's hard not to be automatically cynical. But as Sutthichai points out, the Interior and Foreign ministries have shown that bureaucrats can be resonsible, and responsive, to the people, who ultimately are their masters. I'd like to add in the Immigration Dept, which if the Jomtien branch is anything to go by, is becoming very efficient. My experiences at the Social Security and Revenue Dept offices also show there are competent staff who believe in helping the public. The main problem as I see it is not the avenues of complaint about civil servants' ineptitude or corruption, but willingness on the part of those entrusted to take action on our behalf.

My own personal experiences at Immigration at Chaeng Watthana have been positive. Yes you have to wait but that is not because the staff are not working it is because of the number of people requiring service. I know some members here complain about it but there is limited space hence limited staff that can work at any one time.

A kind of bureaucratic charter is welcomed for Thailand's civil service so that it may deliver fair, expediant, and knowledgeable service to the public.

But having it officially launched by a Head of Government who had no respect for the Thai people's sovereignty and refuses them representation in his government mocks the charter's purpose.

A kind of bureaucratic charter is welcomed for Thailand's civil service so that it may deliver fair, expediant, and knowledgeable service to the public.

But having it officially launched by a Head of Government who had no respect for the Thai people's sovereignty and refuses them representation in his government mocks the charter's purpose.

Jesus. Put a sock in it!

This charter idea wouldn't have even been conceived under the majority of former politicians!

The only people that Thai civil servants government employees/officials serve are themselves always looking to make a baht out of every punter who comes into any office me first then your query will be dealt with once I get my cash.And getting them to serve the public and put other people first will be such a shock for them and it will never change until the next generation of Thais take over the old boy network.

Organisations like immigration, the labour offices, Passport and ID offices are great, in my experience with helpful officials who ask for no additional money (other than inviting one to buy a special item such as a t-shirt or other small item they might be selling on the side - and even that only after they have completed the task so it is more a thank you than a bribe). I think there are still problems with some agencies like the customs authorities and of course the RTP, but things are moving forward and the charter can only help. Some of the .go websites even have functioning and comprehensible english language pages and downloadable forms.