pop.gmail.com. What is this?

Sviss Geez

The following window appears on my screen every hour or so and has done for many months, can anyone tell me what it is and what I should do to stop it? Currently I just close it but it's regular reappearance is very irritating.

pop.gmail.com window.htm

The deleted email account that shows has been cancelled but the window still appears.

Seems that the account in question is still subscribed therefore news is still forwarded on a regulsr basis, even though the account has been cancelled subscription is still active in some cases for several months as you state or continuous until unsubscription of account is forwarded.

Sorry, that's not what appears, that's what was saved when I tried to download the window that does show! I'm not very good at this IT lark.

The window that shows (and has just done so again, I am copying it out word for word) is:-

Enter Network Password

Type your user name and password.

Server pop.gmail.com

User name [email protected] (the cancelled gmail account)

Password .............

OK Cancel

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Cancelling these memberships is impossible?

Leaving them dormant for a couple of months seems to be the only workable strategy.

This where my ignorance shows. What memberships are you referring to?

I'm referring to a gmail account that I have cancelled, it's certainly possible to do that, I've just tried to sign in out of curiosity and the use name is not recognised any longer.

I think the problem lies with microsoft outlook. Did you ever configure your gmail account with Outlook?

If you can, open Outlook and go to 'account settings' and then see if this email account is still active. You can delete the account from there (if you no longer use it) and you should stop seeing the pop up messages

What email client software do you use on your computer? Outlook maybe?

If so, it looks like your email client is periodically trying to logon to your cancelled gmail account and download/upload emails. So unless you removed that account info from your email client it going to continue to periodically try to connect, it can't, and then it shows you the popup. Remove that cancelled account from your email client software setup and you should be good to go.

Cancelling these memberships is impossible?

Leaving them dormant for a couple of months seems to be the only workable strategy.

This where my ignorance shows. What memberships are you referring to?

I'm referring to a gmail account that I have cancelled, it's certainly possible to do that, I've just tried to sign in out of curiosity and the use name is not recognised any longer.

I was referring to Yahoo. I now have Gmail - easy transition; user friendly; quality.

I think the problem lies with microsoft outlook. Did you ever configure your gmail account with Outlook?

If you can, open Outlook and go to 'account settings' and then see if this email account is still active. You can delete the account from there (if you no longer use it) and you should stop seeing the pop up messages

If so, it looks like your email client is periodically trying to logon to your cancelled gmail account and download/upload emails. So unless you removed that account info from your email client it going to continue to periodically try to connect, it can't, and then it shows you the popup. Remove that cancelled account from your email client software setup and you should be good to go.

Thanks for your help, this is starting to make some sense to me. I do use Outlook and that gmail account was connected to it.

Now my problem is how to remove it, I've opened Outlook from where i can see all the options such as inbox, junk reply, forward, etc but cannot find anywhere to alter the settings as Unabunga suggested. Where do I find the settings option?

Thanks for your help, this is starting to make some sense to me. I do use Outlook and that gmail account was connected to it.

Now my problem is how to remove it, I've opened Outlook from where i can see all the options such as inbox, junk reply, forward, etc but cannot find anywhere to alter the settings as Unabunga suggested. Where do I find the settings option?

File, Account settings, find the Gmail account and delete it.

It depends which version of outlook you are running, but here's a couple of options for you to try;

For older versions (Outlook 2003, 2007 etc) look along the menu toolbar and find 'Tools'. then choose 'Email Accounts', then 'View or change email account' and then click on the email account you wish to remove, then click 'remove'/OK.

for Newer versions of Outlook , go to 'File' in the top left corner then select account settings. Should be self explanitory from there.

Good luck :)

It depends which version of outlook you are running, but here's a couple of options for you to try;

For older versions (Outlook 2003, 2007 etc) look along the menu toolbar and find 'Tools'. then choose 'Email Accounts', then 'View or change email account' and then click on the email account you wish to remove, then click 'remove'/OK.

for Newer versions of Outlook , go to 'File' in the top left corner then select account settings. Should be self explanitory from there.

Good luck smile.png

Brilliant, it worked, thanks.

Archived