Forum upgrade in progress! ×

SIM card doomsday: Last day for prepaid phone users to register before service suspended

webfact

Last day for prepaid phone users to register before service suspended

sim.jpg
File photo. Source: Internet

BANGKOK, 31 July 2015 (NNT) - The National Broadcast Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) is urging prepaid mobile phone users to register their SIM cards today, the last day before the cellular service is suspended.

NBTC Secretary General Thakorn Tantasit is encouraging prepaid users to visit their service provider and register by today. Customers must provide their ID cards at the counter for registration.

Aside from service provider outlets, the registration service can be performed at district and local administration offices across the country. Nearly 80% of mobile phone users in Thailand use prepaid plans.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-31 footer_n.gif

Find out how to register your SIM card here

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this really mean that at 0001 in the morning literally millions of people will not have call out service ?

Seems a massive task for the companies to suddenly switch of service for all errant users.

Hopefully we'll get feedback from people who have decided not to register until service is suspended.

So.....How can I register remotely as I am now back in UK?.... I guess when I return in September my SIM will be dead?....Can I register then and still retain number?.....

Cheers

The smart thing to avoid madness is to not turn off the phones but to impose a fine based on how long you wait after the deadline, like one month 100 baht, two months 500, baht, etc. up until a new REAL deadline.

nOTHING SMART ABOUT YOUR SUGGESTION. Just more confusion.

So.....How can I register remotely as I am now back in UK?.... I guess when I return in September my SIM will be dead?....Can I register then and still retain number?.....

Cheers

It depends on your provider. For example, DTAC offers online registration.

The smart thing to avoid madness is to not turn off the phones but to impose a fine based on how long you wait after the deadline, like one month 100 baht, two months 500, baht, etc. up until a new REAL deadline.

nOTHING SMART ABOUT YOUR SUGGESTION. Just more confusion.

OK, thanks for sharing, but I think it's smarter than having massive lines tomorrow if they actually cut off all those phones.

With a gradual fine structure, the lines could be managed ... 100 baht isn't a lot so people would have a month to deal with it without much pain.

Of course I am assuming they are SERIOUS this time ... and it does seem that they are.

Cheers

I just checked that out for the CM forum. It requires Chrome and a device with a camera on it such as your computer, mobile phone, tablet or laptop. So not sure how well the VDO, video connection will work from overseas but may be worth a try if DTAC.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/service/sim-registration.html

Yes, it works or Immigration too!!!

....like most things in Thailand...the deadline will be extended for this phone fiasco......viz-a-viz.....lottery tickets prices to go down to 80b...it went on and on and on...likewise...the recent booze thingee......already watered down and deadline extended...blind eye being turned.....

I was in both DTAC (paying my monthly bill) and TrueMove (exchanging a 3G SIM for a 4G SIM) shops in Siam Paragon today ~ 11:30 AM. Both shops were as empty as I have ever seen; perhaps not surprising given the 4-day holiday weekend?

I think individuals can use the NBTC 2-Shots app (Android, iPhone) to self-register? This is the app. that the "50,000 dealers" nationwide (incl. 7/11) are using. Hopefully it works?

In our neighborhood everyone got together and sent one local motorcycle taxi driver, normally used to pay bills, to register all ~ 50 SIMs in his name. rolleyes.gif

EVEN if you've already registered,, I strongly reccomend everyone double check it,,, Back several months ago, when DTAC, changed the name, carrier, whatever, My phone stopped working,,,, I went to the DTAC store in Terminal 21, got it all working, and asked to register my number since I was there,, They took the SIM card, and my ID, photocopied them, filled out some paperwork and sent me on my way,,,, I just tried the *151#,, and got a message in Thai, (I've also REPEATEDLY called, asked my messages be in English, STILL not),, My girl read it, said, "is not registered",,, I called DTAC service, Explained I had already done it,, I was told, "The government asked it be done again, Go to any 7/11, they can do it",,, Went to 7/11,, was told, "No, we can't do it, you have to go to a DTAC store",,, So TYPICAL, "Thainess" ALL around....

Well, they really SHOULD extend the deadline but I suggested a way they could save some face in doing so.

We're serious and now you will pay a little for not believing us.

7 months notice with regular updates and cautions in media, television, forums and Facebook. Can't see why an extension should be needed as there was plenty of notice. My wife knew about it and did hers before mine even. smile.png

I think many people, based on history, still didn't think it was serious.

Phone termination is a big problem for most people and consider the economic cost to the nation of so many people having their lives disrupted this way all at the same time.

LAST WARNING
Registration of prepaid mobile phones ends today

BANGKOK: -- Users of prepaid mobile phones are urged to register their SIM cards by close of business today or their service will be suspended.

Today is the deadline for the registration of SIM cards, Thakorn Tantasit, secretary general of the National Broadcast Telecommunication Commission, said.

He is encouraging prepaid users to visit their service provider and register by tonight. Customers must provide their ID cards at the counter when registering..

In addition to service provider outlets, registration can be made at district and local administration offices across the country. Nearly 80 per cent of mobile phone users in Thailand use prepaid plans.

The registration was initated after bombers in the south used unregistered mobile phones to trigger the explosions.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Registration-of-prepaid-mobile-phones-ends-today-30265616.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-31

Cheers

I just checked that out for the CM forum. It requires Chrome and a device with a camera on it such as your computer, mobile phone, tablet or laptop. So not sure how well the VDO, video connection will work from overseas but may be worth a try if DTAC.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/service/sim-registration.html

1-2-call with AIS so will do some surfin' to check..... cheers

7 months notice with regular updates and cautions in media, television, forums and Facebook.

Well not everyone is on the internet, think about the elderly, handicapped, poor, vision-impaired, even those unable to read.

7 months notice with regular updates and cautions in media, television, forums and Facebook.

Well not everyone is on the internet, think about the elderly, handicapped, poor, vision-impaired, even those unable to read.

Indeed, having a working phone is literally a LIFE LINE for many.

Indeed, having a working phone is literally a LIFE LINE for many.

Supposedly emergency numbers, like 191, can still be called, even from unregistered SIMs. But I think about some elderly folks trying to ring their children for help, and not being able to reach them.

I think many people, based on history, still didn't think it was serious.

Phone termination is a big problem for most people and consider the economic cost to the nation of so many people having their lives disrupted this way all at the same time.

Exactly. I forgot all about it....

Most people in Thailand dont have fixed lines, how about if they have an emergency and need to call a relative? For those who haven't registered there should be a vocal message or something for a few weeks warning them before it is disconnected.

I did it some weeks back for my True sim at the local 7/11 shop. the cashier takes a picture of ID with is (own) phone, then sends it off to True together with some numbers he took from my ID. 3 mins later I get an SMS that it registered. Piece of cake. and now the Americans can trace me anywhere I go.

"The registration was initated after bombers in the south used unregistered mobile phones to trigger the explosions."

This was first done 10 years ago for the same reason and I registered then but had to register again as it was no longer in their database.

Thailand forces registration of prepaid phones to thwart insurgency

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Archived