SIM card doomsday: Last day for prepaid phone users to register before service suspended

webfact

As soon as i registered, i got this pop-up:

Thanks for letting us track you. You will be assigned to Detective (name withheld). We see that you have not left your chair for 11 hours. Last night you went to Spicy. And ..... (it goes on for 100 pages).

Good thing I have 9 phones, all different people.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 months notice with regular updates and cautions in media, television, forums and Facebook.

Well not everyone is on the internet, think about the elderly, handicapped, poor, vision-impaired, even those unable to read.

Indeed, having a working phone is literally a LIFE LINE for many.

If they don't know about the current deadline they won't know about an extended deadline so no point in extending it. Extend it for 20 years and they'll still never know.

Yet another typically pointless exercise on the NBTC's part, which is solely aimed at causing the maximum inconvenience and hassle possible....

I totally disagree with you, having had a few death threats over the phone. This for many people can be an extremely disturbing thing, being told that you are the subject of a contract hit, and then being unable to trace the callers. I,m all for it smile.png

do u really think that serious criminals are stupid enough to be using a SIM card registered in their name........theres already a post on here where the local motorcycle taxi man took 50 SIM cards to 7-11 and registered them all in his name

its all about spying on people and the option to pinpoint anybody they feel like locating via triangulation of signals of mobile phone masts

It's also IMHO all about the sadists at NBTC deriving considerable pathological pleasure from inflicting pain and misery on the populace at large for a measure which will doubtless prove next to useless in the fullness of time if their previous mass registration exercise several years ago is anything to go by. I'm not sure whether my UK SIM card is similarly registered with OFCOM back home, but, if it is, then I certainly wasn't expected to endure this sort of nonsense in order for this particular goal to be achieved!

Edited by OJAS

Not always quite as simple as you suggest. BTW, that was my wife asking the 7-11 staff in Thai that produced the "no, cannot" answer.

There was a prior thread here about being able to register prepaid SIMs at local 7-11 outlets.

First try, I went to a couple of my local 7s, and they both said they could do for Thais, but couldn't do for farangs.

so what happens now when you buy a new SIM?

If i go to a little stall on a market with all those cards......

I bought a SIM from a phone shop in the basement of Big C a few weeks ago. They asked for my ID, which I happily handed over to them. They took a picture of it, and forwarded it to TRUE. A couple of hours later, I got an SMS saying "Welcome and thank you for registering".

So- if the place you buy your SIM is decent, they will register for you. If not, you will need to schlep to Seven Eleven or any other registration point and do it yourself.

apart from my phone, I have 3 SIMs used for 3G internet only.......I've registered one already.....is it necessary to register them as they are not for use in phones?

deafening silence will follow?

Simm cards need to be registered is my take.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

so what happens now when you buy a new SIM?

If i go to a little stall on a market with all those cards......

One would assume it will be the same as in Oz where you buy a new SIM anywhere and register it on the phone companies website.

About 9 months ago, I replaced my SIM, same number, at DTAC shop. Had to produce my passport to prove I was the owner of that number. Last week, got a message that it was unregistered, and had to go through the process despite my name being on my number's account.blink.png

And they said, the simcard will remain active (for incoming calls) until end of august. Until then (end of august) you still have the chance to register and reactivate your card. After that your simcard will get permanently inactive.

NBTC officials have been quoted as saying that unregistered SIMs can be revived, by registering, for up to twelve (12) months after this deadline. After which time they will be recycled/resold. The NBTC has been very supportive of consumer rights vis-a-vis prepaid balances in the past. But I realize that this subject is as much emotional as it is technical, and as such, reliable detailed implementation information is scarce. I'd expect some clarification in the coming weeks.

There has been some chatter re: suspending in-coming calls at the end of August, perhaps this is what AIS was referring to?

apart from my phone, I have 3 SIMs used for 3G internet only.......I've registered one already.....is it necessary to register them as they are not for use in phones?

Yes. The NBTC has said mobile data will be suspended for unregistered SIMs.

Edited by bamnutsak

Well it is now almost 12 hours after the cutoff deadline, and I have tested unregistered phones from all 3 networks, and they are all still working as normal.

Voice incoming & outgoing & data are all still working.

I wonder how long it will take for the networks to cut 18 million phones. Chances are they did not write a program to do this automatically, as that would take

them at least a few years. Just look at how long it is taking to write the programs to integrate BTS & MRT ticketing, and the Easy Pass software for Highway 7 to Chon Buri.

Years have passed & they still have no working software.

I would say that cutting off 18 Million phones manually one at a time may take a few years in itself.

Well it is now almost 12 hours after the cutoff deadline, and I have tested unregistered phones from all 3 networks, and they are all still working as normal.

Voice incoming & outgoing & data are all still working.

I wonder how long it will take for the networks to cut 18 million phones. Chances are they did not write a program to do this automatically, as that would take

them at least a few years. Just look at how long it is taking to write the programs to integrate BTS & MRT ticketing, and the Easy Pass software for Highway 7 to Chon Buri.

Years have passed & they still have no working software.

I would say that cutting off 18 Million phones manually one at a time may take a few years in itself.

As this week-end is an extended holiday, I can't see much happening till next week.....i also wonder how long I have to register my phone.

illegal use of a SIM usually requires a quick purchase and a short use - so I don't really see what these measures will do except get people agitated....

Mine is still working,couldn't tell you if it's registered or not...........did lose a phone about 1.5. years ago and in getting a replacement sim with all my numbers on it in the new phone they did take some information from me.

Also, I have not been receiving any messages, someone told me they were at one point receiveing six messages a day in Thai about registering their phone.

PS - it will be interesting to see if the phone companies incur a noticeable drop in revenue as large numbers of phones are disconnected

Think about all the new accounts opened. Sounds like a windfall to me.

erm . . . imagine a terrorist with a couple prepaid SIM cards from Malaysia.He goes to another country and then uses the roaming facility from one SIM/phone to call his other SIM/phone attached to something nasty and BOOM.

This is going to somehow cease to be possible now Thai people have to register their SIM cards?

Am I missing something in this argument?

R

PS - it will be interesting to see if the phone companies incur a noticeable drop in revenue as large numbers of phones are disconnected

Think about all the new accounts opened. Sounds like a windfall to me.

I can't imagine there is going to be any measurable drop in users but possible some folks losing credit or possibly having a reactivation cost as well as less bandwidth availability as people may be off for a bit (who paid) while they get registered. Don't really see many people deciding they no longer need a phone because of this rule.

Telcom Asia had this recent snippet on the registration process...

Not sure exactly what they mean (aren't they requiring requiring Thai ID cards or passports?? -- what does Telcom Asia mean about "agent user names and passwords??))

But it sounds like the typical Thai government performance:

However, it is unclear what this registration process will accomplish in terms in terms of national security as previously it was possible for anyone to register themselves with agent usernames and passwords that were widely available on Thai webboards. The NBTC only belatedly in May this year tightened up the registration process, closing the gate after the horse had already bolted.

http://www.telecomasia.net/content/thailands-mvnos-face-wipeout

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

TrueMove. I can still use my phone perfectly fine. Like I suspected, they won't disconnect a good paying customer (THB1500/month+).

Give it until next week.

or next year or perhaps next reincarnation?

The Thai phone system has been overloaded for some time now. That is why a few years ago we went to a 10 digit format form the previous 9 digit numbers. As many articles have stated, there are upwards of 95 million SIM card/phone numbers out there. Not bad for a country of 65(ish) million (taking into account the wee little ones and ancients that wouldn't have phones/numbers and you're looking at almost 2 SIMs per person on average, maybe more).

IIRC at one point the Thai phone companies were so desperate for numbers that if you let your phone go dormant for more than 3 months, they would cancel your number and reissue it. I had to get new SIM cards twice because I'd go off to work and a month later my number would "expire" due to inactivity (even though I still had credits) and when I got back to Thailand 3-4 months later I'd have to get a new SIM. I finally got the "one year" SIM and haven't had a problem since then. (I believe the phone companies had to change their policies due to a large public outcry. Not positive but I think now if your SIM is inactive for over a year they can cancel and reissue the number.)

This registration would be a boon to the phone companies as it will allow them to cancel (and reissue) millions of dormant/inactive numbers. A large number of which probably belonged to tourists who've left Thailand never to return and those that have been lost/stolen/discarded by Thais.

What's funny is most of you have no clue how easy it would be for "them" to track your activities right now if they wanted to. They don't need you to register your SIM card in order to track you, or to listen in on your calls (there is a distinct reason why you should never give out passwords, account numbers or credit card info over a cell (mobile) phone, or even over a wireless handset of a landline phone).

Edited by Kerryd

EVEN if you've already registered,, I strongly reccomend everyone double check it,,, Back several months ago, when DTAC, changed the name, carrier, whatever, My phone stopped working,,,, I went to the DTAC store in Terminal 21, got it all working, and asked to register my number since I was there,, They took the SIM card, and my ID, photocopied them, filled out some paperwork and sent me on my way,,,, I just tried the *151#,, and got a message in Thai, (I've also REPEATEDLY called, asked my messages be in English, STILL not),, My girl read it, said, "is not registered",,, I called DTAC service, Explained I had already done it,, I was told, "The government asked it be done again, Go to any 7/11, they can do it",,, Went to 7/11,, was told, "No, we can't do it, you have to go to a DTAC store",,, So TYPICAL, "Thainess" ALL around....

I agree with Adeeos, check to see if you SIM registered, even if your SIM was registered in the past.

My DTAC SIM was registered when I purchased it back in May this year. . The guy that did it, explained how the government required the registration.

I went back several weeks later for internet access problems and the lady that assisted me, told me my SIM was not registered and registered the SIM a second time.

Hopefully, it will still be registered when I return at the end of the month.

I am sure at the press of a button all unregistered phones can be blocked...

And I am sure as soon as the NTBC tell all the phone companies if they do not comply they will be fined billions of bahts it will happen.

I am also sure that the phone companies will not lose out... because as soon as the phone companies block unregistered phones the users will register them.

Better still send them a recorded message, "out going calls have been blocked, register within 24 hours or it will cost you 500B to register this number, if you do not register within a week we will cut you off and you will lose this number".