SIM card doomsday: Last day for prepaid phone users to register before service suspended

webfact

"The registration was initated after bombers in the south used unregistered mobile phones to trigger the explosions."

This was first done 10 years ago for the same reason and I registered then but had to register again as it was no longer in their database.

Thailand forces registration of prepaid phones to thwart insurgency

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I'm sure you're right. But I believe there is a far bigger agenda behind this registration process.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still doubt this will happen ...

Yup, just like Face Club in Pattaya doubted. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It will probably take quite a while before most people believe that, even sometimes, this government means what it says.

Like the fishermen who cannot leave port right now. w00t.gifcrazy.gif

Edited by Traveling Sailor

Does this really mean that at 0001 in the morning literally millions of people will not have call out service ?

Seems a massive task for the companies to suddenly switch of service for all errant users.

I think that''s what they use computers for ... "massive tasks" and all that.

Seems like a few mouse clicks to me.

blink.png

Edited by Fullstop

Yet another typically pointless exercise on the NBTC's part, which is solely aimed at causing the maximum inconvenience and hassle possible....

I totally disagree with you, having had a few death threats over the phone. This for many people can be an extremely disturbing thing, being told that you are the subject of a contract hit, and then being unable to trace the callers. I,m all for it :)

Does this really mean that at 0001 in the morning literally millions of people will not have call out service ?

Seems a massive task for the companies to suddenly switch of service for all errant users.

Hopefully we'll get feedback from people who have decided not to register until service is suspended.

Yeah,

There is actually a way around registering one's personal phone.

4 mobiles in this family

Mine is registered as I had to produce my passport when opening account

all other 3 are not and they all refuse to register

They believe Government wants to track there movements

When I talk to TW that she we be disconnected she just laughs

Guess Thais know there way of life netter than us Farlang

Hopefully we'll get feedback from people who have decided not to register until service is suspended.

I doubt that, the will be an amnesty and forgive and forget and then the 'reconciliation to all users

and more time will be given to the poor people to register.....

Yet another typically pointless exercise on the NBTC's part, which is solely aimed at causing the maximum inconvenience and hassle possible....

I totally disagree with you, having had a few death threats over the phone. This for many people can be an extremely disturbing thing, being told that you are the subject of a contract hit, and then being unable to trace the callers. I,m all for it smile.png

yes.

90 million phones must be registered because of what…?

Let's just settle on governments wanting FULL control of everything as if that's not already the case.

Let's have everyone give fingerprints and an iris scan. Then there can't be death threats over the phone; or can there?

I satisfied the registration requirement.

Yeah,

There is actually a way around registering one's personal phone.

Count me in

I would like to say that the Thais seemed to have handled this project rather well. Plenty of publicity, plenty of places to register, a simple registration process. Most people seem completely away of what they have to do. Of course some have left it till the last moment and will not be able to do it today for some reason but that really is their fault.

Few countries now have unregisted phones.

Anybody know how the DTAC online registration works?

A link maybe?

Is in Thai & English?

It works excellently. The DTAC agent handling my SIM registration spoke very good English.

A screen message asks you to have your passport, SIM card and phone ready, but don't take the SIM out of the phone because the agent wants to send you a one-time password (OTP). Scan and print the SIM and put it back in the phone, in case the agent wants you to read the number on it to you.

4 mobiles in this family

Mine is registered as I had to produce my passport when opening account

all other 3 are not and they all refuse to register

They believe Government wants to track there movements

When I talk to TW that she we be disconnected she just laughs

Guess Thais know there way of life netter than us Farlang

Who is TW?

And what is a Farlang?

Anybody know how the DTAC online registration works?

A link maybe?

Is in Thai & English?

It works excellently. The DTAC agent handling my SIM registration spoke very good English.

A screen message asks you to have your passport, SIM card and phone ready, but don't take the SIM out of the phone because the agent wants to send you a one-time password (OTP). Scan and print the SIM and put it back in the phone, in case the agent wants you to read the number on it to you.

I (re-)registered today@7/11 - they wanted to see the number matching the one you're registering (usually printed on the sim) and match it with the service request ( *151# ), upload the phone number and passport/id-card frontpage, and separately input the passport/id-number into the fields and then submit. Next they will order the same service request to confirm the registration went thru (and after that you receive the registration sms as well). Watched the whole detail submission next to the teller :)

DTAC has been pestering me for two weeks now - I don't think it's a bluff - and since my OTP's come thru that number, didn't want to take my chances. I'll have to find my other (unregistered) SIM-cards and test whether they work after tomorrow or not. I'll get back to it if I can find even one of them (after my recent move - everything all over the place) :)

This is the SECOND time I've had to register this phone....what did they do with the last list? same as this list after a few months?????

Also registered my 3G tablet which has no phone function Wouldn't register my AIS air card didn't recognise the number........ not an auspicious start....I'm now waiting to go in and complain that despite registering twice they've still cut my phone off.......anyone want to give odds on ow many are cut off despite having registered?

Edited by cumgranosalum

I totally disagree with you, having had a few death threats over the phone. This for many people can be an extremely disturbing thing, being told that you are the subject of a contract hit, and then being unable to trace the callers. I,m all for it smile.png

do u really think that serious criminals are stupid enough to be using a SIM card registered in their name........theres already a post on here where the local motorcycle taxi man took 50 SIM cards to 7-11 and registered them all in his name

its all about spying on people and the option to pinpoint anybody they feel like locating via triangulation of signals of mobile phone masts

Edited by HughJass

3 minutes past midnight, just signed up for another 1-week-data package 384 KB 99 Baht at AIS - my unegistered SIM still works. though I have not disconnected since midnight. and I feel I will not disconnect until the end of that 1-week-period or until I have found a local motocy-driver too who registers the SIM for me.

sorry, we are in a country where martial law is applied and I have not the slightest interest to let them sniff and spy on me all over wherever they want.

good luck to everyone

I am currently not in Thailand and discussed this issue with the hotline form AIS (1-2-call). They said, for unregistered simcards only outgoing calls will be blocked now. And they said, the simcard will remain active (for incoming calls) until end of august. Until then (end of august) you still have the chance to register and reactivate your card. After that your simcard will get permanently inactive.

If you are out of the country same me, AIS also accepts copies from your simcard, your passport and a letter of authorization, that you scan and email to someone in Thailand. This person can register your simcard for you, too. For me, it worked though, I just get registerd this way.

There was a prior thread here about being able to register prepaid SIMs at local 7-11 outlets.

First try, I went to a couple of my local 7s, and they both said they could do for Thais, but couldn't do for farangs.

So ended up going to the DTAC shop on the 6th floor of Terminal 21, where the entire process took about 10 minutes. That was Weds., and the shop was pretty busy, including with several other farang customers likewise doing their registrations.

The DTAC guy there seemed to be using some kind of app on his mobile phone, because he took a photo of my passport and then keyed in some other info, and sent it off to who knows where. Probably Ukraine... tongue.png