On the social media, empowerment for the little guy

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL
On the social media, empowerment for the little guy
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- With more voices than ever being heard and echoed, suddenly it seems, on any given day, another David stands up to a Goliath

The era of social networking continues to bring us irrefutable proof that the pen is mightier than the sword - and more so now than at any other stage of history. The serious questions a young Chinese man posted online last year about United States government policy are still circulating on the social media. A citizen's online criticism of the late Singaporean statesman Lee Kuan Yew a few months ago raised the hackles of the authorities there - and a chorus of support. Now in Thailand we have a student making headlines with a biting attack on what she terms "coup propaganda".

In the first case, the reasoned and eloquent diatribe against unfair, self-serving and hypocritical American policy raised eyebrows as a rare instance of vociferous free speech being tolerated by the Chinese government. Perhaps this was because it took aim at China's arch-rival, but make no mistake: The criticism struck a resounding global chord on its own merits.

The Singaporean protester who went online to assail the legacy of Lee Kuan Yew shortly after the venerated leader's death didn't intend to target the dearth of free speech in the island-state, but the authorities' stern response served to undermine Singapore's reputation as Southeast Asia's sole bastion of civic rights. What the youth wrote abruptly became far less relevant than the ugly fact of Singapore's intolerance for freedom of expression.

In Thailand just days ago, a student at a prestigious Bangkok high school turned in a blank test paper and went straight to the social media to explain why. She condemned the test question as post-coup propaganda aimed at subverting citizens' civic duty. Overnight she became an anti-coup icon, hailed as a young voice speaking louder and more honestly than her elders.

What these three cases have in common is that they demonstrate the power of individual opinion, regardless of the speaker's status in society. When we perceive wrongdoing we can - and by conscience should - be dissenting, bold and defiant toward established authority. And, with the aid of the Internet, we can have an immediate impact and trigger brave, far-reaching discussion that might just stand a chance of fostering change.

The social media have empowered ordinary citizens to take significant, meaningful strides in the name of improving society. An anonymous Chinese writer challenges America with a forthrightness that galvanises millions. A young Singaporean garners widespread admiration for daring to question Lee's enshrinement. A girl at a Thai secondary school takes the country's most powerful man to task.

None of these events could have happened 15 years ago. Nor would such dissent be permitted today if not for the sheer scale of public opinion awakened and unified via the social networks.

In the meantime there are also the countless online commentators for whom freedom of expression takes the far less brave but often just as powerful form of humorous graphics that are "shared" in the tens of thousands - satirically captioned photos and the like. These anonymous pundits capture the public's attention and spread opinions on a far wider scale than earnest prose alone can manage.

In words or pictures, such ubiquitous outcroppings of discontent allow unbiased users of the social media to see all sides of events so they can make a more informed judgement. Raw rhetoric, so easily exposed for its one-sidedness, is fading on these Web platforms as mainstream ideology becomes increasingly challenged.

In the flight of ideas, the butterfly effect is unstoppable. Both good- and ill-intentioned notions will continue to be disseminated, but the very fact that the game has changed, that people are learning to be smarter and daring to be bolder, bodes well for the future.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/On-the-social-media-empowerment-for-the-little-guy-30265628.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-01

Absolute guff.

The comparison between the current Thai government and a 30 yr old regime in Singapore is ridiculous.

The only similarity is that both people disagreeing with the status quo(not the band) used social media to publicise their claims.

I suspect even the current government doesn't think the present situation is ideal, but is trying their best to develop a situation where the people in power in the future can't allow corruption to flourish. And distort public funding and the legal/judicial system to work for their individual interests. To enshrine a society where open and frank public discourse can exist without resulting in riots and violence (whichever side of the spectrum you fall within).

I have not seen any evidence of breaches of human rights, harsh imprisonment and torture under this government (it might be heavily suppressed but I have heard nothing). So the assertion that the protesting girl in Thailand has the same legitimacy as the Singaporean guy is clearly a fallacy.

BTW anyone who thinks other countries are any different to Thailand, try and destabilize them and see how far you get. USA has a long history of cruel and unusual punishments for political dissidents. Just google Huey P Newton and see how he is represented. Considering legitimate social media causes like #blacklivesmatter he seems to be a true hero of civil rights.

Edited by Charlie Croker

Absolute guff.

The comparison between the current Thai government and a 30 yr old regime in Singapore is ridiculous.

The only similarity is that both people disagreeing with the status quo(not the band) used social media to publicise their claims.

I suspect even the current government doesn't think the present situation is ideal, but is trying their best to develop a situation where the people in power in the future can't allow corruption to flourish. And distort public funding and the legal/judicial system to work for their individual interests. To enshrine a society where open and frank public discourse can exist without resulting in riots and violence (whichever side of the spectrum you fall within).

I have not seen any evidence of breaches of human rights, harsh imprisonment and torture under this government (it might be heavily suppressed but I have heard nothing). So the assertion that the protesting girl in Thailand has the same legitimacy as the Singaporean guy is clearly a fallacy.

BTW anyone who thinks other countries are any different to Thailand, try and destabilize them and see how far you get. USA has a long history of cruel and unusual punishments for political dissidents. Just google Huey P Newton and see how he is represented. Considering legitimate social media causes like #blacklivesmatter he seems to be a true hero of civil rights.

You suspect that the current government doesn't think this situation is ideal? They have been planning this since Yingluck care to power. You Can quote Suthep on that. Also Thailand has had how many coups in the last 70 years? What have they fixed exactly? Nothing. Just changing the piggies in suits to the piggies in uniforms so that they have more space at the trough!

Well done that girl for refusing to answer questions on a test Mussolini would of been proud of. Nationalistic, brain washing nonsense. She was called 'mentally ill' by her teacher for possessing critical thinking. If the junta have their way this kind of ignorance will still be commonplace. Can't have the people questioning things now can we?

I'm in disbelief that some of you support this archaic institution and find it worrying that you think they aren't pilfering the nation for their own good just like the people they 'saved' Thailand from.

The little girl is 17 years old isn't so innocent, telling tales of woe at the foreign correspondents club. The school snitch.

You seriously need to go back to the beginning of this story and see how it all came about. Do you even know the facts and history of this case, or are you just commenting between your Chang refills?

I would dare say this 17 year old girl is a hell of a lot more intelligent than you are.

"School snitch"? How about the BRAVEST GIRL IN SCHOOL! That would be much more appropriate.

What this bright young girl wrote...

Last week, Nattanan explained her action on Facebook, saying she had done this because the junta was trying to “become the dictator of morality by imposing the ’12 values of Thai people’ to teach people rights and wrongs”.

Her post, written in English, read: “I wonder how such an unrighteous leader could consider himself as the holy bishop of the country, forcing students to unwillingly swallow those values of his.

“I, therefore, refuse to take the exam on this propaganda subject in order to condemn the government’s effort to dictate the values of the society.”

All in English, well written and articulate. She also attends one of the best and most 'high so' schools in Bangkok. So junta fanboys she hasn't been brain washed at a red school, she is using critical thinking and refusing to swallow the nationalistic twadle this government churns out. Some have comended her, others have called her a monkey. I think she's a brave young soul and Thailand needs more like her.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is " suspended " come the sad day - as inappropriate for a nation in mourning.

When actually it would be a perfect platform for the people to share their grief.

All hell would freeze over before a proper ban though. I wouldn't put it past this junta to try it.

The little girl is 17 years old isn't so innocent, telling tales of woe at the foreign correspondents club. The school snitch.

You seriously need to go back to the beginning of this story and see how it all came about. Do you even know the facts and history of this case, or are you just commenting between your Chang refills?

I would dare say this 17 year old girl is a hell of a lot more intelligent than you are.

"School snitch"? How about the BRAVEST GIRL IN SCHOOL! That would be much more appropriate.

Her IQ is sure a lot higher as the one of any junta member ......

Edited by ikke

I only read the headline, not the article, and nor the replies.

The little guy does have the power. You just need to know how to see it.

I see great posts daily on facebook, one today was a mafia type at the airport trying to prevent legit honest taxis from taking honest fares, dresses as police. Full photo of this <deleted>.

That's the advantage of being a sexy girl on facebook. Lots of friends, and lots of good information in your timeline :)

It's not just young Thai people, many old school Thais feel the same way :)

I am still suffering from shock at the idea of critical thinking in Thailand. I will send my child to this school. anyone know which one it is. ?

yet to be seen if it is intelligent thinking and action when the evil junta send her for proper thinking attitude adjustment.

I am still suffering from shock at the idea of critical thinking in Thailand. I will send my child to this school. anyone know which one it is. ? yet to be seen if it is intelligent thinking and action when the evil junta send her for proper thinking attitude adjustment.

Triam Udom Suksa . Got the fees?

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/5344

I am still suffering from shock at the idea of critical thinking in Thailand. I will send my child to this school. anyone know which one it is. ? yet to be seen if it is intelligent thinking and action when the evil junta send her for proper thinking attitude adjustment.

Triam Udom Suksa . Got the fees?

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/5344

Also her teacher called her mentally ill for doing what she did. So she either has good parents or awoken up to what is going on by herself.