NBTC to extend registration of prepaid SIM cards till August 31

Lite Beer

Does anyone know a number to check with AIS on the registration status of their SIM. ANd do you have to show actual passport or will a DL or maybe copy of passport do?

I used my Thai driving licence. Accepted without question.

Also had been under the impression that mine was already registered, but received a 'helpful' recorded message on the 30th I think, asking me to go do it, or risk disconnection. Job done, no real grief. Not sure it will actually *achieve* anything, but I'm all legal and up to date etc etc...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know a number to check with AIS on the registration status of their SIM. ANd do you have to show actual passport or will a DL or maybe copy of passport do?

I used my Thai driving licence. Accepted without question.

Also had been under the impression that mine was already registered, but received a 'helpful' recorded message on the 30th I think, asking me to go do it, or risk disconnection. Job done, no real grief. Not sure it will actually *achieve* anything, but I'm all legal and up to date etc etc...

What company are you with? Im with AIS and wouldnt accept my thai driving licence only passport.

My money is on a series of disconnections in September, followed by a system of registering when buying a new sIM.....then the system will gradually fade away so the idiots who designed it don't look too stupid.........

Was it the last military govt that demanded we register phones....and then gave up.

Why is it that the military are so paranoid that they waste loads pf public money in a vain attempt to monitor the people they are meant t serve?

cool.png I have been calling every number in my wife's village for the last 24 hours (Lower Issan) Mother, Sister, Brother, Aunt ,Uncle, etc. She is convinced that I am the problem.I am getting busy signal or number cannot be recognized. I tried to explain to her the situation with the mobile phones, but Thailand cannot possibly have a problem. Anyone else experiencing the same?

LL

Edited by llso

I have wasted about four days trying to register my prepaid sim card. First I followed one of the links here and went to DTAC site where they were doing the registration online. Bought a camera and headset just to do that. After three days found out that was not a universal govt. agency that does registration. They told me to call my provider which is AIS. After a long search finally got through to them and they said they do not do registration over the phone from abroad. They need me to find someone to do it in Thailand for me. I won't be there until the end of Dec." So sorry , can't be done" was the only phrase I got! I have paid for the card until March of next year and I only bought it because the bank required a Thai number. Why is it that one company allows something and another one doesn't. They are not getting my business next time and I won't buy a sim card from this company as they are not flexible and do not offer proper customer service.

What a bunch of bovine feces!

People have known about this for a long time and the responsible people have done it before the deadline.

The irresponsible should be shut down as promised.

It is not difficult and there is no excuse for not complying on time.

This is the kind of thing that encourages the deadbeats to continue to be flakes.

Thailand is full of flakes, both Thai and expat.

Stand by your original requirement and teach the childish to grow up.

Everyone would benefit..

I've been living here for 3 years and i didnt know about it, i live in a village and dont sit infront of a computer screen too often, last time i logged on to TV was in January infact i didnt even know about the coupe for about a month after, my wife has been away working in Aus while im here to do what ever i want and it doesnt include keeping up with the news.

I dont believe you. Sorry. Firstly is this your first post on TV for 3 years? If so you lack of knowing may surfice however I too live in a village and everyone knows about everyone else. You only have to mow he lawn in the morning the rest of the village know about it by the afternoon. So your claim ignorance of this subject is a little........ well...... emmmmmm.... sorry but I dont believe you.

Here's a serious question. How was this requirement advertised or people notified? It seems to have come out January 1, 2015. I was there a few months ago and over new year's, plus 2 times last year, and never knew about it until right now. No sms received or email received. Though since I don't live there it could easily have been via SMS while my SIM has been sitting with my travel docs. However I would have thought being there late Dec. to early Jan. I should have gotten a text or heard something.

Were there signs in 7-11's or somewhere similar? I was in True customer service centers on a couple occasions in the last 12 months and didn't see any signs, though they could of course have been in Thai or too small. But how were people notified?

I was thinking my SIM was done until I saw this extension. Little puzzled by not having heard about this until this week.