Tesco Lotus announces major price-cutting campaign

webfact

As all other big supermarkets, they have a cartel. So have been robbing Thailand for so long. Now they are robbing a little less. In many other countries they would be prosecuted. Here they advertise with it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard it all before and when you go what do see? Price reductions often not actioned or no stock available. It is not run like Tesco in the UK and its not great in the UK so that tells you bad it is here. I wont be bothering to make a visit, the recent flyer arrived 2 days ago and there was nothing in it to support the article.

Tesco could be much cheaper if they didn't have far too much personell who do nothing all day.

And why do they need so much personell to sell hotdogs? Just pack and price them.

But i really don't like the big tesco's where they have very loud announcements all the time.

A lot of people complain about the numbers of staff in all of the big chain stores such as the home stores, well, at least those people have jobs.

I hope they do not make staff cuts, they have already taken a massive share of the food market by undercutting on things like meat, if they didn't employ a good number of staff it would be all bad for Thailand whereas at the moment it is just half bad.

Tesco could be much cheaper if they didn't have far too much personell who do nothing all day.

And why do they need so much personell to sell hotdogs? Just pack and price them.

But i really don't like the big tesco's where they have very loud announcements all the time.

I second the motion on the wasted expense of surplus personnel.

I second your objection to the loud speakers, too. I leave whenever I encounter them. I go and shop at another store when it is too loud.

As all other big supermarkets, they have a cartel. So have been robbing Thailand for so long. Now they are robbing a little less. In many other countries they would be prosecuted. Here they advertise with it.

Yes, in many other countries one man would not be able to own so much, Tesco Lotus, 7 Eleven, CP and Macro without going into all the supply chain, being owned by one man is a true monopoly but in Thailand and other countries that can actually be seen as a good thing, but really it's completely clueless to choose the admiration of someones success over the hopeless situation it leaves for their competitors.

I have been in Thailand for a long time and frequently shop at Tesco Lotus. I have constantly seen prices increased by 5 to 15 percent and then "CUT" by half of the increase to give the illusion of savings but actually an increase in the selling price. A very deceptive practice.

I am really disgusted by the cockroaches I saw this week at the cashier counters at Pattaya Sukhumvit.

They need to do something as the number of customers seems to be constantly dwindling.

Nice for me and wifey to shop without the hordes but bad for the bottom line.

No wonder they are losing customers, they have went crazy with their prices on potatoes.

Love the place, free napkins all day long no need to buy bogroll anymore.

Just prowl and collect napkins near the hotdog stand, few baht in the back pocket.

Thats on top of what I pull out on the toilet dispensers and stuff in my bag.

Thats how I adjust my cost of living in a tight economy.

Got to think like a Thai these days to survive here.

I think a lot of posters are going to be angry reading this, but up to a point I do agree with you.

They are a customer of ours. They have been focused on driving growth of premium priced products the last two or three years and foregoing discounting as much as possible to maximize margin. No big surprise that this is not working in Thailand. So now they go the other way. And that 3 billion ... well figures can't lie but liers can figure.

Just prowl and collect napkins near the hotdog stand, few baht in the back pocket.

I save even more by not making a trip to Lotus at all. I just let my dog lick my ass clean. He gets to all the places the tissue can't get to.

T

What's wrong with a bum gun, I bet it cleans your ass better than your dog.

Tesco Lotus has a price-checking team to ensure that customers are confident that prices are the lowest when they shop at our stores.

If that is true then this "Price-checking team" are doing a poor arse job blink.png ... Have they ever checked the prices in Makro ... ?

Tesco Lotus suxx compared to Makro - Even Big C is better than Tesco ...

well they will not have to cut to hard in their budget has, for the same comparative product they are the most expensive supermarket in thailand... where

i never buy.

macro is in ubon ratchathani for example the less expensive, then big c and to finish tesco lotus.

in bangkok..before when i was living there.....to me the best places where to buy are "C con square" near srinakarin wich is very good and hudge and then in nonthabury "the mall"

also the market in tao pun was for alive prawns and fish one of the cheapest and remarkable quality site.

coffee1.gif

Tesco boring bloody Tesco........staff screaming down megaphones.......sullen unfriendly checkout operators...rotten vegetable/fruit produce (on the inside)....salad bar closing at 4pm...just when you arrive to pick up some salad for dinner......Tesco Radio...OMG...somebody please turn it off...!!!....I could go on........

I hate the place but in my area it is the only choice...unless I want to travel 5km's

On one occasion I/we ran out of bread. I opted to drive 20K to Tesco Nong Ruea to get some. It was a/b 4 pm. There was not one slice of bread to be bought. WHAT!!!!!! Yea.... in the entire store.

I hate to load our freezer with bread but nothing else around here.... And I can only seem to "bear" eating rice ONCE daily.

Shame Tesco. Wish Wal Mart was here or how a/b Krispy Creme dougnuts?

"focusing on mother-and-baby products with cuts of up to 20 per cent on more than 870 product lines."

meaning, they will presure the manufacturers to drop their profits, not tesco itself ... the "baby" milk contains already 20+ % of CORN SIRUP ... question of getting the babies ready for the rest of their life to this toxic poison

Tesco is not unusual in employing to many personal but I commend them for using this approach great advertising. I noticed this at the new Power Buy store as well. I would guess there was 50 mostly standing around doing nothing. I think there may have been 15 customers in the store. Prices seemed higher by about 15%. They had to many washers and frigs on display and little of anything else especially computers. The TV selection was not the best. It was a huge store with everything spread out to make it look full. On a scale from 1 to 10 I give it a 2 and a half. The owners must have deep pockets.

In reality they will spend nothing to lower prices,they will

use the same tactics they use in the UK,screw the suppliers,

force them to lower their profits,

In my opinion,Tesco is usually more expensive than Big C,

so they need to lower prices.

regards Worgeordie

Thailand is ripe for Walmart to move in and give them retailing lessons and they would also be closer to most of the suppliers of their merchandise.

Bloody Brits, They are comparing with U K. They would complain if their bums were on fire

I think anyone would complain if their bum was on fire!

What pizzes me off most is at the cash register, those useless <deleted> king total readouts are so bad I cannot recognise the numbers. Surely the morons in charge can buy better digital readouts than the ones they have.

And why is it Dewberry cookies are 19 baht a sleeve of 8 in Phi Chit yet down the road in Sak lek at the TL Express there 10 baht a sleeve???

Tesco Lotus has a price-checking team to ensure that customers are confident that prices are the lowest when they shop at our stores.

If that is true then this "Price-checking team" are doing a poor arse job blink.png ... Have they ever checked the prices in Makro ... ?

Prices at Makro are higher and closer to Tesco Lotus than before they were aquired by the SAME company that owns Tesco Lotus. Monopolies are great for the owners but not so good for consumers. The Thai government seems to do nothing to control monopolies.

Since Carrefour is out of the game the only imagined real competitor is Big C and they seem to track with Tesco Lotus rather than compete. Tops and Foodland aren't a threat. More like collusions than competition. Don't expect Thailand to figure it out anytime in the near future.

Edited by JimInPattaya

Prices at Makro are higher and closer to Tesco Lotus than before they were aquired by the SAME company that owns Tesco Lotus. Monopolies are great for the owners but not so good for consumers. The Thai government seems to do nothing to control monopolies.

Since Carrefour is out of the game the only imagined real competitor is Big C and they seem to track with Tesco Lotus rather than compete. Tops and Foodland aren't a threat. More like collusions than competition. Don't expect Thailand to figure it out anytime in the near future.

Actually, CP sold its Tesco Lotus shares in 2003. But Dhanin keeps talking about buying them back. Every couple months or so you will read a story like this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/24/us-tesco-cpgroup-thailand-idUSKCN0J80PL20141124

Actually, CP sold its Tesco Lotus shares in 2003. But Dhanin keeps talking about buying them back. Every couple months or so you will read a story like this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/24/us-tesco-cpgroup-thailand-idUSKCN0J80PL20141124

In 2013, SHV sold Siam Makro Pcl. (Thailand) to CP ALL, a subsidiary of CP Group.

The CP Group

Charoen Pokphand Foods

Main article: Charoen Pokphand Foods

Known as Charoen Pokphand Foods Plc.,[3] CPF was established in 1978 with operations in animal feed production, livestock breeding, further processing and trade. Currently, CPF invests overseas in 9 countries, has subsidiaries in 17 countries and exports to over 40 countries. Furthermore, CPF is today the leading producer of feed and one of the largest producers of poultry in the world.[citation needed] Charoen Pokphand Foods is listed in the Stock Exchange of Thailand under the code: CPF.

C.P. Foods has a revenue of approximately $14 billion (2012), with a market capitalization of over $8 billion (2012)

CP ALLSubsidiaries including

Counter Service Company Limited (CS) provides a bill payment service business

CPRAM Company Limited (CPRAM) manufactures and sells of frozen food and bakery

CP Retailink Company Limited (CPR) distributes and repairs retail equipment

Thai Smart Card Company Limited (TSC) (with business alliances) offers product and service payment through Smart Purse electronic cash cards

Gosoft (Thailand) Company Limited (GOSOFT) provides information technology services

MAM Heart Company Limited (MAM) provides marketing consulting services

Dynamic Management Company Limited (DM) provides logistics services

Suksapiwat Company Limited (SPW) provides educational services through Panyapiwat Technological College, a retailing vocational school for retail education, and Panyapiwat Institute of Management, an institute in bachelor degree concentrating on 5 majors: business administration, engineering and technology, management science, liberal arts, and communication arts and master degree concentrating on 1 major: business administration

Panyatara Company Limited (PTR) provides training and seminar services

All Training Company Limited (ATN) provides training and seminar services

The Company has also expanded its own business operations as follows

7-Catalog Order as a distribution channel in purchasing products from catalog magazines

Book Smile as a new distribution channel for books and magazines

eXta as a health and beauty shop offering pharmaceuticals and medical supplies, health products and cosmetics

Kudsan as a channel to sell special selected products including coffee and bakery

CP ALL Public Company Limited is the flagship company of the Charoen Pokphand Group’s marketing and distribution business. It is the Thai licensee of 7-Eleven since 1989 and operates 6,479 convenience stores under that trademark in Thailand. This is the third largest number of stores after the United States and Japan.[14]

C.P. All completed FY 2012 with approximately $12 billion in revenue, and currently has a market capitalization of over $13 billion (2013).

True Corporation

Main article: True Corporation

The Telecommunications Business Group was established during the late 1980s. Known as True Corporation Plc,[3] True offers a ‘convergence’ of voice, video and data services across its integrated communications platform. Based in Bangkok, True currently services more than 23 million subscribers to its various services, which includes Thailand’s third-largest mobile operator (True Move), the country’s largest broadband and dial-up internet provider, largest fixed-line phone operator in Bangkok Metropolitan Area, electronic cash and payment services, personal communication telephone, data services, VoIP services, online portals, online games and is the only nationwide cable-TV provider (True Visions). True Corporation is listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand under the code: TRUE

True Corporation generated approximately $3.1 billion in revenue in 2012, it has a market capitalization of about $4.3 billion (2013). It is spinning off its infrastructure operations into a new telecommunications fund set to IPO at about $1.8 billion, putting the group's total value at about $5 billion [15]

True Growth Infrastructure Fund

True GIF is a $2 billion fund set up to manage True's extensive telecommunication assets including Thailand's largest fibre optic network and largest 3G & 4G cell networks. It became Thailand's second largest IPO ever in late 2013. True Corp is True GIF's largest shareholder.

Lotus Supercenter

Main article: Lotus Supercenter

C.P. Lotus Corporation is a retail operation in China.[16]

C.P. Pokphand

Listed in Hong Kong, CPP is one of the world's largest producers of feed and one of China's leading agricultural companies with factories nationwide.[17]

C.P. Fresh Mart

A Thai-based chain selling frozen foods and finished products, now has over 700 branches.[18]

Dayang Motors

One of China's leading motorcycle producers, recently signed a joint venture to begin production of cars in Thailand. Its motorcycles are exported to South East Asia, Europe, and Africa.[19]

Siam Makro

Held through C.P. All, Siam Makro is Thailand's largest cash and carry store. C.P. All purchased Siam Makro for $6.6 billion in 2013.

C.P. Land

C.P. Land manages several Bangkok properties including C.P. Tower 1 & 2. It is listed through C.P. Land Infrastructure Fund and has a market capitalization of over U.S.$300 million.

A Thai-based chain selling frozen foods and finished products, now has over 700 branches.[18]

Dayang Motors

One of China's leading motorcycle producers, recently signed a joint venture to begin production of cars in Thailand. Its motorcycles are exported to South East Asia, Europe, and Africa.[19]

Siam Makro

Held through C.P. All, Siam Makro is Thailand's largest cash and carry store. C.P. All purchased Siam Makro for $6.6 billion in 2013.

C.P. Land

C.P. Land manages several Bangkok properties including C.P. Tower 1 & 2. It is listed through C.P. Land Infrastructure Fund and has a market capitalization of over U.S.$300 million.

Edited by JimInPattaya

I save even more by not making a trip to Lotus at all. I just let my dog lick my ass clean. He gets to all the places the tissue can't get to.

T

What's wrong with a bum gun, I bet it cleans your ass better than your dog.

ah, so that's what it's for...now I feel like an idiot...I'm gonna miss that dog. Off to the shelter with you, boy; you're no good to me now.

T

In reality they will spend nothing to lower prices,they will

use the same tactics they use in the UK,screw the suppliers,

force them to lower their profits,

In my opinion,Tesco is usually more expensive than Big C,

so they need to lower prices.

regards Worgeordie

Thailand is ripe for Walmart to move in and give them retailing lessons and they would also be closer to most of the suppliers of their merchandise.

By the time they have a Thai partner for 51% a lot would change.

Ummmmmm.............so generous!!!!! They spend billions so people can eat.

I have been a good customer for about 20 years since Tesco opened

20 years a go in Rangsit. For the past couple of years I got disappointed

on so many occasions, the fresh produce look good on the outside but\

are rotten on the inside. AWFUL. I work for a living and the thing I dislike

the most is having to buy food meant to be good and throw it away sad.png

I would suggest the Tesco Big bosses to check often on Tesco Klong 4

Rangsit Tanya, there are big bugs running happily on fresh produces,

especially under red potatoes display. Also, please do something

about the quality control in klong 4 opposite moo Baan Burirom.

The quality of the very limited choice of fresh products is lousy.

We are not a third class citizens out here you know?

Our money are good!!!

If you've lived in Thailand 20 years and can't find fresh fruit and vegetables then God help you.

Who said I can't find fresh fruit and vegetables? What a stupid comment you left Einstein.

Tesco is not unusual in employing to many personal but I commend them for using this approach great advertising. I noticed this at the new Power Buy store as well. I would guess there was 50 mostly standing around doing nothing. I think there may have been 15 customers in the store. Prices seemed higher by about 15%. They had to many washers and frigs on display and little of anything else especially computers. The TV selection was not the best. It was a huge store with everything spread out to make it look full. On a scale from 1 to 10 I give it a 2 and a half. The owners must have deep pockets.

I've often wondered, but never found out, whether large stores are 'required' by government (?) or local authority, to employ a minimum of X staff before permission is given to build.

The reason for my puzzlement is that even in Thailand it must be obvious to owners that a reduction in staff, with a pay rise or bonus scheme for the remaining has to be beneficial.

Imagine a professional time and motion study taking place!. Also, it can be intimidating to be stalked by assistants as soon as you enter the large DIY stores. I bet many have, like me, left the store instead of being able to browse around to pick up bits and bobs.

In 2010 my Thai wife came to the UK and I told her to mooch around in M&S whilst I went to the opticians. After nearly one hour we teamed up and she told me how pleasant it was to be left alone to have a good look at the women's clothing. She did by a blouse.

I suppose the virtual 0% unemployment, trumpeted by the government, has something to do with it.

In 2013, SHV sold Siam Makro Pcl. (Thailand) to CP ALL, a subsidiary of CP Group.

The CP Group

Charoen Pokphand Foods

Main article: Charoen Pokphand Foods

Known as Charoen Pokphand Foods Plc.,[3] CPF was established in 1978 with operations in animal feed production, livestock breeding, further processing and trade. Currently, CPF invests overseas in 9 countries, has subsidiaries in 17 countries and exports to over 40 countries. Furthermore, CPF is today the leading producer of feed and one of the largest producers of poultry in the world.[citation needed] Charoen Pokphand Foods is listed in the Stock Exchange of Thailand under the code: CPF.

C.P. Foods has a revenue of approximately $14 billion (2012), with a market capitalization of over $8 billion (2012)

CP ALLSubsidiaries including

Counter Service Company Limited (CS) provides a bill payment service business

CPRAM Company Limited (CPRAM) manufactures and sells of frozen food and bakery

CP Retailink Company Limited (CPR) distributes and repairs retail equipment

Thai Smart Card Company Limited (TSC) (with business alliances) offers product and service payment through Smart Purse electronic cash cards

Gosoft (Thailand) Company Limited (GOSOFT) provides information technology services

MAM Heart Company Limited (MAM) provides marketing consulting services

Dynamic Management Company Limited (DM) provides logistics services

Suksapiwat Company Limited (SPW) provides educational services through Panyapiwat Technological College, a retailing vocational school for retail education, and Panyapiwat Institute of Management, an institute in bachelor degree concentrating on 5 majors: business administration, engineering and technology, management science, liberal arts, and communication arts and master degree concentrating on 1 major: business administration

Panyatara Company Limited (PTR) provides training and seminar services

All Training Company Limited (ATN) provides training and seminar services

The Company has also expanded its own business operations as follows

7-Catalog Order as a distribution channel in purchasing products from catalog magazines

Book Smile as a new distribution channel for books and magazines

eXta as a health and beauty shop offering pharmaceuticals and medical supplies, health products and cosmetics

Kudsan as a channel to sell special selected products including coffee and bakery

CP ALL Public Company Limited is the flagship company of the Charoen Pokphand Group’s marketing and distribution business. It is the Thai licensee of 7-Eleven since 1989 and operates 6,479 convenience stores under that trademark in Thailand. This is the third largest number of stores after the United States and Japan.[14]

C.P. All completed FY 2012 with approximately $12 billion in revenue, and currently has a market capitalization of over $13 billion (2013).

True Corporation

Main article: True Corporation

The Telecommunications Business Group was established during the late 1980s. Known as True Corporation Plc,[3] True offers a ‘convergence’ of voice, video and data services across its integrated communications platform. Based in Bangkok, True currently services more than 23 million subscribers to its various services, which includes Thailand’s third-largest mobile operator (True Move), the country’s largest broadband and dial-up internet provider, largest fixed-line phone operator in Bangkok Metropolitan Area, electronic cash and payment services, personal communication telephone, data services, VoIP services, online portals, online games and is the only nationwide cable-TV provider (True Visions). True Corporation is listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand under the code: TRUE

True Corporation generated approximately $3.1 billion in revenue in 2012, it has a market capitalization of about $4.3 billion (2013). It is spinning off its infrastructure operations into a new telecommunications fund set to IPO at about $1.8 billion, putting the group's total value at about $5 billion [15]

True Growth Infrastructure Fund

True GIF is a $2 billion fund set up to manage True's extensive telecommunication assets including Thailand's largest fibre optic network and largest 3G & 4G cell networks. It became Thailand's second largest IPO ever in late 2013. True Corp is True GIF's largest shareholder.

Lotus Supercenter

Main article: Lotus Supercenter

C.P. Lotus Corporation is a retail operation in China.[16]

C.P. Pokphand

Listed in Hong Kong, CPP is one of the world's largest producers of feed and one of China's leading agricultural companies with factories nationwide.[17]

C.P. Fresh Mart

Dayang Motors

Siam Makro

C.P. Land

Dayang Motors

Siam Makro

C.P. Land

So then, at the moment the Tesco-Lotus franchise is owned and operated by Ek Chai, with Dhanin & CP waiting in the wings to rebuy it?

Tesco Thailand is a Thai company staffed by Thais , selling products for Thais. The fact that farangs shop there is merely a fact as opposed to being of any interest to their management.

As other posters have commented, Makro has much better produce, and IMHO, better bread, and much better choice of & cheaper dairy products than Tesco.

I live in Phichit area and their store there is abysmal, with no competition from Big C.

I prefer my monthly safaris to P'Lok and Makro and TOPS.

I avoid them like the plague,

extremely poor service and quite often rude and next to useless staff

items marked as "on sale" are often the same or HIGHER than the normal price

items mark as "on sale" with a price are often refused to be sold (think it might be a discrimination thing there)

staff buying said discounted items before they reach the shop floor

normal priced items placed in sale items places

In full, a deceptive and disgraceful retailer.

On the other hand, they have plenty of checkout lanes. But only a few are occupied. That's why i don't buy anything there. I would waste too much time to checkout. Same as Big C.