The Australian passport ripoff

Bulldozer Dawn

Passport costs increased considerably under Labor as an additional revenue grab. If you want to understand the legislation for passport fees have a read of "The Australian Passports (Application Fees) Act 2005"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the price of the Australian Passport was $5000 for 10 years I would pay it.As far as I am concerned they are far to cheap

If that's the price the Aussie government decided to charge, you would have to pay it, unless you stayed at home you'd have no choice.

That's right

The Australian passport is an electronic passport whereas the Thai passport is not.

The fact Australians have a electronic passport means they have ease of travel to many countries that Thai people don't. Thai passports are easily copied and as such worthless.

I'm happy to pay the extra for the ease of travel some people are not.

You should tell the Thailand Ministry Of Foreign Affairs because they seem to think it is electronic and has been since 2005.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21478-Electronic-Passport.html#1

So you are complaining about a document which for A$47 per year lets you travel to most places in the world visa free?

Compare that to the Thai passport and the cost of a visa for a majority of the countries in the world, not to metion the paperwork and time to apply, and you'll find the Aussie passport works out a lot more cheaply.

And yes, I have both.

No your analysis does not wash. Because my current passport is less than 5 years in and it is already close to full. Thanks to the stamp happy Thai immigration with its full page and half page stamps.

A better way to view it is price per page. A standard 35 page passport applied for outside of Australia costs $350. That is $10 per page.

So next time you get (for example) a re entry permit stamp (half page) it is burning up $5 worth of realestate in your passport.

And what about the numpty in Bangkok who put the first ever stamp in my last new passport. He kindly started stamping on page 3, and in doing so burnt $25 of passport page realestate.

You a visa runner or something? Burning through pages that quickly.

The Australian passport is an electronic passport whereas the Thai passport is not.

The fact Australians have a electronic passport means they have ease of travel to many countries that Thai people don't. Thai passports are easily copied and as such worthless.

The Thai passport is very much an electronic passport - haven't you noticed the electronic gates at Bangkok and Don Muang Airport that Thai citizens use to whizz through?

So you are complaining about a document which for A$47 per year lets you travel to most places in the world visa free?

Compare that to the Thai passport and the cost of a visa for a majority of the countries in the world, not to metion the paperwork and time to apply, and you'll find the Aussie passport works out a lot more cheaply.

And yes, I have both.

No your analysis does not wash. Because my current passport is less than 5 years in and it is already close to full. Thanks to the stamp happy Thai immigration with its full page and half page stamps.

A better way to view it is price per page. A standard 35 page passport applied for outside of Australia costs $350. That is $10 per page.

So next time you get (for example) a re entry permit stamp (half page) it is burning up $5 worth of realestate in your passport.

And what about the numpty in Bangkok who put the first ever stamp in my last new passport. He kindly started stamping on page 3, and in doing so burnt $25 of passport page realestate.

Does the first stamp being on page 3 void pages 1 and 2 ?

.Piffle...

The Thai passport works just as good passing through immigration in any country. That is, it gets stuff stamped in it.

Of course a person with an Australian passport has different opportunities for visas then the holder of a Thai passport. But I did not start this thread to discuss visas. I started it to discuss what a rip off Australian passports are.

You get no ease of travel because of your rip off priced passport. You get it because of your citizenship.

And don't carry on with the OH but the Australian passport has extra security features blah blah blah. What do I care. I am happy to buy one without those features for $40, the equivalent of what a thai pays.

You are really not getting it. The visa free and ease of entry Australians get relates too both our citizenship and the fact we have a very secure passport.

Look if all you do is travel back and forwards from Australia to Thailand then it would seem quite expensive, but for someone who use to travel to every second week internationally for work it was an absolute blessing. I use to do a passport every 14 months or so and never had an issue paying for it.

You should tell the Thailand Ministry Of Foreign Affairs because they seem to think it is electronic and has been since 2005.

I'm holding both a Thai passport and an Australian passport in my hand now.

I fail to see any type of electronic chip in the in the Thai passport. They might be able to swipe and scan the passport but I suspect the information given to the immigration office is limited. The oz passport has a chip centre page and I assume scanning that lets them know everything about us down to our shoe size.

I'm holding both a Thai passport and an Australian passport in my hand now.

I fail to see any type of electronic chip in the in the Thai passport. They might be able to swipe and scan the passport but I suspect the information given to the immigration office is limited. The oz passport has a chip centre page and I assume scanning that lets them know everything about us down to our shoe size.

Has it got the biometric symbol on the front cover? Thai E-Passports have a solid middle page where your precious chip is contained. When place on the Thai passport gate the cover page goes down against the glass scanner and the hard page falls upon the electronic scanner which then matches your facial and fingerprint data as you go though the gate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand[106] introduced the first biometric passport for Diplomats and Government officials on 26 May 2005. From 1 June 2005, a limited quantity of 100 passports a day was issued for Thai citizens, however, on 1 August 2005 a full operational service was installed and Thailand became the first country in Asia to issue an ICAO compliant biometric passport.[107]"

Right on. As if there is a choice.

There is a choice. Get another citizenship or don't get a passport or quit complaining about it.

So, I take it, you don't fight back when you are raped?

Australians gave up their rights long ago, now they complain when the government is exploiting them?

Sorry but if you don't like it then stop voting in these rapists. Like I said you do have a choice. Find a better country to become a citizen of or don't travel outside of the country.

But I fail to understand how complaining about fees on a foreign website is "fighting back" against them.

And yes, I have both.

no, i think, he - and i and many other australians - is (are) complaining about paying a very high price for something that has no tangible value and costs only a few $'s to create. same goes for oz driving licenses, trade licenses, boating licenses, visa fees etc. many other ountries offer you more visa free travels (i.e. germany) while their passports cost a fraction of the oz one.

generally, australia over charges on government fees in every respect - just another source of discontent for many aussis. and perhaps another reason why so many of us are here in thailand?

And yes, I have both.

You can tell them where you want to have your stamped placed. I have recently told both Thai and Myanmar officials to stamp my passport on page 1, even though the next 36 pages are mostly full. They happily complied.

But I do agree with your views that each page of an Aussie passport is expensive.

Another thing is that, just because an Aussie passport is more useful than a Thai one in terms of where you can travel abroad, not every Aussie or Thai is intending on heading over to Europe, Africa, the USA etc.

A Thai passport is actually more useful in many Asian countries, especially ASEAN where visa-free travel is granted for periods from 14 to 30 days in ALL ASEAN member states, including Myanmar starting on August 11 (although only for air arrivals for the time being). While Aussies can get 90 days for Malaysia and Singapore, compared to Thais, who get just 30 days for Malaysia and 14 days if arriving overland in Singapore (30 days if arriving by air) as a tourist, even that tends to be enough. Aussies still need visas (albeit they can be applied for on arrival) for Laos and Cambodia, while Vietnamese visas for Aussies are very expensive (though reportedly from July 1, 2016 Aussies will become visa-exempt going to Vietnam too). Russia is also visa-free for Thais (30 days), while for Aussies the visa application process is complicated.

So there you go - the high prices charged by the Australian government for passports, is not something we should stand for. Other nationalities get MUCH cheaper passports and they can get visa-free access to EVEN MORE countries than Aussies. For example, as I have already mentioned, Swiss citizens earn more than Aussies, pay much less for their passports and get visa free access to nearly all countries in the Americas (including South America) and Laos, whereas Aussies still need to obtain visas for some countries in that region and of course Laos as already mentioned.

And yes, I have both.

No. You can always tell immigration officials to use those pages if you wish. Works best if you speak the local lingo though. Recently worked for me and sometimes they do it automatically if they can see your passport is getting full anyway.

And yes, I have both.

No. You can always tell immigration officials to use those pages if you wish. Works best if you speak the local lingo though. Recently worked for me and sometimes they do it automatically if they can see your passport is getting full anyway.

Thanks tomtomtomtomtom69... just as I thought.

I guess bulldozer is consumed in his own personal hysteria and thinks things like that are actually true. He will be relieved to know only half of apage ($5 worth) was burnt instead of the $25.00.

And yes, I have both.

no, i think, he - and i and many other australians - is (are) complaining about paying a very high price for something that has no tangible value and costs only a few $'s to create. same goes for oz driving licenses, trade licenses, boating licenses, visa fees etc. many other ountries offer you more visa free travels (i.e. germany) while their passports cost a fraction of the oz one.

generally, australia over charges on government fees in every respect - just another source of discontent for many aussis. and perhaps another reason why so many of us are here in thailand?

It's tangible value is it allows freedom of movement. That the Australian government demand you pay a much higher price for freedom then other countries, indicates Australians have apathetically given up their rights or freedoms for a "government knows best" society, I left that country 10 years ago simply because of this.

But you have highlighted the costs of more than just passports and I was recently suprised to see how much immigration visas to australia cost despite the Australian government now outsource most of the work to cheaper countries to cut costs.

The fact is, Australians don't complain about all of the government welfare benefits they receive. So you need to learn to pay the price of that with higher fees and taxes.

And yes, I have both.

It's tangible value is it allows freedom of movement. That the Australian government demand you pay a much higher price for freedom then other countries, indicates Australians have apathetically given up their rights or freedoms for a "government knows best" society, I left that country 10 years ago simply because of this.

But you have highlighted the costs of more than just passports and I was recently suprised to see how much immigration visas to australia cost despite the Australian government now outsource most of the work to cheaper countries to cut costs.

The fact is, Australians don't complain about all of the government welfare benefits they receive. So you need to learn to pay the price of that with higher fees and taxes.

this is probably not the right venue to enter into a detailed discussion of the failings of australian society (and so i won't) but i fully agree with you. these days, after having migrated to oz in '81 (and i loved the country and it's people with all my heart back than) i only go back there to work for 4 months a year.

And yes, I have both.

NoTangible Value? Try travelling as freely as you do, or indeed, try get back into Australia hassle free without one. The bogans bang on about secure borders, well this is one of those things you need to secure it.

Forty Five bucks per year isn't too much of a hardship for the average traveller.

That price for an AUS passport makes the UK one look quite cheap, which isnt something that I ever expected to be saying.

Given that the price of a UK passport supposedly reflects the real cost of providing the passport and the ancillary consular services that go with it https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/118636/17949-breakdown-costs-passport.pdf, it makes me wonder how they calculate the price of the AUS one.

i had to get a new passport in malaysia a few years ago when they brought the page of electronic shit in wasted a page

in passport as now that passport nere finished

the only time that ripoff page worked was when went back to oz quick to get through airport than others

another thing when i got caught in rain storm the photo got wet and faded now want me to pay for new passport

before never happened and had many passports

ripoff mob second class passport just a money making scam

My photo similarly faded by rain, a couple of months after buying a new passport. Have been advised numerous times to buy a new passport, but only by Oz immigration, everywhere else they just ignore it.

Why? Because when they scan the passport they get a perfectly clear version of the photo from the chip. No problems Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar

When do they advise me not to travel on this passport? As I'm clearing immigration leaving the country. As if I'm going to turn around (is that even possible), go back to the airline counter and ask for my bag back.

And yes, I have both.

NoTangible Value? Try travelling as freely as you do, or indeed, try get back into Australia hassle free without one. The bogans bang on about secure borders, well this is one of those things you need to secure it.

Forty Five bucks per year isn't too much of a hardship for the average traveller.

no, mate, if this was the only $45 that i am paying to have my government use inhuman and abhorent methods to 'secure' our borders i would probably at least partially agree with you (and now we ARE discussing oz politics on a thai forum!!!). i can travel more freely with a range of passports, oz only ranks 9th on the world scale (http://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php). and at least half of those listed 'above' come at a much more affordable price to their citizens.

That price for an AUS passport makes the UK one look quite cheap, which isnt something that I ever expected to be saying.

Given that the price of a UK passport supposedly reflects the real cost of providing the passport and the ancillary consular services that go with it https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/118636/17949-breakdown-costs-passport.pdf, it makes me wonder how they calculate the price of the AUS one.

The Aussies make their passports a litle harder to come by than the Brits.

And yes, I have both.

no, mate, if this was the only $45 that i am paying to have my government use inhuman and abhorent methods to 'secure' our borders i would probably at least partially agree with you (and now we ARE discussing oz politics on a thai forum!!!). i can travel more freely with a range of passports, oz only ranks 9th on the world scale (http://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php). and at least half of those listed 'above' come at a much more affordable price to their citizens.

Yeah, let's have an open door policy and we'd be facing the same problems as Italy, France, Malta and the UK etc. Be lovely wouldn't it?

Thanks tomtomtomtomtom69... just as I thought.

I guess bulldozer is consumed in his own personal hysteria and thinks things like that are actually true. He will be relieved to know only half of apage ($5 worth) was burnt instead of the $25.00.

Wrong.

I have already tried 6 times to have stamps placed on these first two blank pages. The IO refused in all instances:

1. Exit/Entry at Ranong

2. Exit/Entry at vientiane

3. Exit at Phuket and arrival in Jakarta

i had to get a new passport in malaysia a few years ago when they brought the page of electronic shit in wasted a page

the only time that ripoff page worked was when went back to oz quick to get through airport than others

another thing when i got caught in rain storm the photo got wet and faded now want me to pay for new passport

My photo similarly faded by rain, a couple of months after buying a new passport. Have been advised numerous times to buy a new passport, but only by Oz immigration, everywhere else they just ignore it.

Why? Because when they scan the passport they get a perfectly clear version of the photo from the chip. No problems Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar

When do they advise me not to travel on this passport? As I'm clearing immigration leaving the country. As if I'm going to turn around (is that even possible), go back to the airline counter and ask for my bag back.

Oh...and while on the subject of photos. When my thai girl went for her passport she just sat in front of a camera when handing in her application form and her photo was taken for FREE.

The Aussie GUBERMENT require a perfect sized and frame photo on a white background. Difficult and expensive to source around here. In Australia you can have them done at the Post Office. 5 years ago it was about $20. Hate to think how much it is now.

So lets just add another $20 to the cost of getting an Aussie passport.

Oh...and while on the subject of photos. When my thai girl went for her passport she just sat in front of a camera when handing in her application form and her photo was taken for FREE.

The Aussie GUBERMENT require a perfect sized and frame photo on a white background. Difficult and expensive to source around here. In Australia you can have them done at the Post Office. 5 years ago it was about $20. Hate to think how much it is now.

So lets just add another $20 to the cost of getting an Aussie passport.

So in a nutshell , Australia should be charging Thai prices but paying Australian salaries ?Same goes for photo shops and everything else?

And 150 baht for a photo is expansive? And difficult because no shops on Soi 6? Or some other reason ?

I am surprised you do not whine about Lao charging $30 for visa while Thailand does not.

Archived