Is Uber now up and running in Phuket?

Jeff Bangkok

I live in Bangkok and have not been to Phuket for quite some time, but will be going in September. I use Uber around the world with great success and particularly here in Bangkok. I know there have been many debates about regular taxis being cheaper, etc. and not interested in reigniting that. I do not like the premise of taxi service (being in a foreign city and they can ride a tourist around as much as they want to increase the fare, often with the tourist not knowing better) vs. Uber being a flat rate in a clean car no matter where I go and with no financial incentive to lengthen my travels.

In my research I see articles that seem to state that Uber was declared illegal, "negotiations" happened, and the Land Transportation Department allowed them to continue to operate as of December. I do not see any recent posts about it, and Phuket is not listed directly on Uber's site. There is a Patong/Phuket, but you cannot look up any fares. So, is it running or is it not? If someone can fill me in, that would be great. If someone lives locally in Phuket and is successfully using Uber, would love to hear that.

Jeff

Well that sounds completely uninteresting. Anyone have any good recommendations for flat rate car service in Phuket?

Check Phuket Shuttle. Not the cheapest, but they have been reliable to me.

Be prepared to ripped off for transport on Phuket. It's as simple as that.

There is NO WAY to get around it, unless you hire a car from a multinational car hire company, and then you have the big problem of parking it, and not being able to consume alcohol.

Enjoy your stay on Phuket. :)

There is NO WAY to get around it, unless you hire a car from a multinational car hire company, and then you have the big problem of parking it, and not being able to consume alcohol.

Enjoy your stay on Phuket. smile.png

Hehe, thanks. Part of why I never go to Phuket...just not worth the hassle. I live by the beach in California, so it is not that much of a draw. Going to humor a friend who has never been. Staying by the beach and don't plan to venture too far eating or drinking. Again not worth the hassle.

Hehe, thanks. Part of why I never go to Phuket...just not worth the hassle. I live by the beach in California, so it is not that much of a draw. Going to humor a friend who has never been. Staying by the beach and don't plan to venture too far eating or drinking. Again not worth the hassle.

"Part of why I never go to Phuket...just not worth the hassle." - it's the main reason many westerners are no long coming here.

In many cases, the taxi from Phuket Airport to your hotel is more expensive than the flight from Bangkok to Phuket.

Why wouldn't you "humor" your friend in Pattaya? Closer, cheaper, less "hassle" and more "humor" there. :)

"Part of why I never go to Phuket...just not worth the hassle." - it's the main reason many westerners are no long coming here.

In many cases, the taxi from Phuket Airport to your hotel is more expensive than the flight from Bangkok to Phuket.

Why wouldn't you "humor" your friend in Pattaya? Closer, cheaper, less "hassle" and more "humor" there. smile.png

Hehe, I would be happier with that, but I was talked into this after a few too many. We will make the best of it. I expect my friend to be no more enamored of Phuket than I am, but it is all about discovery for one's self. :-)

Why wouldn't you "humor" your friend in Pattaya? Closer, cheaper, less "hassle" and more "humor" there. smile.png

Where do you come by this concrete data NKM? Is it from your Patong bar stool analysis, or from your constant theme harping the same thing that has led you to believe it? Really, I'm curious as to where you acquired your data that points to this reason for the decline of westerners as I've never seen any hard data either confirming or denying this. Do you have a secret study you'd like to share with us? smile.png

Edited by steelepulse

You will not be "ripped off" You simply have to pay more then you would in other provinces. Nearly all taxi stands have set tariffs to most locations on the island printed on a board at their "rank", You either take it or leave it.

Where do you come by this concrete data NKM? Is it from your Patong bar stool analysis, or from your constant theme harping the same thing that has led you to believe it? Really, I'm curious as to where you acquired your data that points to this reason for the decline of westerners as I've never seen any hard data either confirming or denying this. Do you have a secret study you'd like to share with us? smile.png

There was a published article, which was also the subject of a thread on TV, stating the western tourism market to Phuket was declining at 15% year on year - so, obviously, not as many westerners coming here now. It's plain to see.

I suspect the decline is more than 15%, but the article stated 15%.

I would be surprised if you disagree that western tourists are way down in recent times.

There is no "secret study." I have asked my friends that used to come here, why they do not come here anymore. "Can't get around" is the common theme.

Most of them like to stay at the nicer beaches, such as Kata, and come into Patong for a night out. They can no longer be bothered dealing with the transport BS here, when they can hop on a baht bus in Pattaya, for 10 baht a journey, and get to wherever they want to.

I have bought up the subject with other expats here, and they also said the same of their friends, some of whom I have met.

Just too much BS on Phuket to deal with for the western tourists, and as transport is an essential service, that is usually required several times a day by tourists, it appears many western tourists have finally had enough.

So, for me, "the main reason" why western tourists are no longer coming to Phuket, is the lack of proper public transport. Of course, it's not the only reason, as there are many other reasons, such as Phuket no longer offering a value for money holiday, but, in my opinion, it is lack of transport that is the main reason.

SP, in your opinion, what do you think is the main reason for such a large, and rapid decline in the western tourist market?

Do you still think it's the tsunami? cheesy.gif

You will not be "ripped off" You simply have to pay more then you would in other provinces. Nearly all taxi stands have set tariffs to most locations on the island printed on a board at their "rank", You either take it or leave it.

With the minimum daily wage set at 300 baht, and a Phuket tuk-tuk driver demanding 400 baht for a journey from Kata to Patong by day, and 800 baht to return by night - I would call that "a rip off."

As you say, "either take it or leave it" and judging by the lack of western tourists coming here now, it appears most are now "leaving it."

Of course, if 15 minutes of driving deserves 400 baht, compared to a Thai working a whole shift at a 7/11 for 300 baht, for example, is not "a rip off" well, then, I would be happy to hear your definition of what is "a rip off?"

We all know the transport monopoly here.

Just because they all "print on a board" their colluded ridiculous prices, that does not mean they are not ripping you off.

Edited by NamKangMan

• 1 year later...