Android one Introduced in Thailand. Best value for money.

sjonburi

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys were able to utilize SD card, to make it function same as the main memory?

Yes. Phone offers to format the card and then move media files to it.

Other than that I did not try. Looks still like this

post-58566-14468171726389_thumb.png

Do you guys were able to utilize SD card, to make it function same as the main memory?

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20151106-111825.png

Thanks oilinki,

So, first, you need to save somewhere your data on the SD card, and then, to format it. Were you able to upload your saved data back to the SC card?

Edited by MikeWill

Thanks oilinki,

So, first, you need to save somewhere your data on the SD card, and then, to format it. Were you able to upload your saved data back to the SC card?

I'm my case I had nothing important on SD card so I did not do backup / restore for it.

I was actually waiting for the upgrade, before using the card.

What is the largest card size this phone support? I saw 32GB limit somewhere, but not sure if it's official limit.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20151106-111825.png

Thanks oilinki,

Use a card reader or similar. Save any important data to a computer.

I formatted my card and am using it now with no problems in the phone

BUT

my computer says I CANNOT format the card to read it.

I will try another method

I'm probably going to pick one of these up next week.

Just reading the Reddit comments on Marshmallow's SD-Card format options. Setting an SD-Card as Internal Storage has it's drawbacks: such as preventing access to data when removed from the device, and memory is 'swapped' and not added as additional cumulative (app vs shared data).

PSA: I formatted my SD Card as internal storage, and I regret it now (marshmallow)

some mistakes were make... still, the comments make for an interesting read

reddit android | 10 Oct 2015

Guidelines for Marshmallow users - formatting options for external SD cards (Portable vs. Internal modes)

reddit android | 16 Oct 1015

Addendum/clarification to my last comment

Reddit users are saying that, with Marshmallow if you choose to format the SD-Card as "Internal" storage, then:

The real 'built-in internal storage' will become invisible and 'reserved' for apps and app data only, no longer directly usable or accessible by the user.

The external SD card will now be seen and visible as your primary (and only) local storage.

Installed applications and data will first be stored on the built-in internal storage, with option to move it to the SD-Card internal storage (however it's named).

All other user data will be put on your slower external SD Card (there is no way as of now to store on the faster built-in memory).

As the SD Card is formatted ext4 and 'encrypted', the data cannot be accessed when removed from the device. *

Removing the SD Card and booting the device may cause some issues, as the OS is expecting it to be there.

so, there are pros and cons to this.

* The SD Card is formatted ext4 and encrypted, but it may be possible to extract the encryption key from the device and with the proper driver access the SD Card contents when removed. Maybe.

Here is what I learned and my observations:

Android 6.0 or Marshmallow allows to format your external SD card so it appears as internal storage. And Android will then allow to move over photos, movies and apps over if you want. This is called Internal mode. In Internal storage mode, you CAN move apps and the data to external SD card, but only those apps that were labelled as movable by the developer. For example chat and other apps disallow moving to SD card and they cannot be moved. The system and built-in apps cannot be moved either.

You can also choose to keep using your old external SD card format - this is called Portable mode, under Marshmallow.

So when you install Marshmallow, or if you plug in a new SD card and start your device, there will be a notification showing the options - Internal and Portable.

Important note: after formatting SD card as Internal storage, RESTART YOUR PHONE!

Choose Internal format and the built-in internal storage will become reserved for apps and app data only. And all other data will be put on your external SD card. In that, the external SD card will be seen and visible as your primary (and only) local storage. So if you place music files on it now - it will not have the Lollipop restrictions on it - and any app will be able to use it. That is the behavior will be as if you did not have an external SD card and all this data was on the built-in internal storage.
So the advantage of Internal is that you are going to escape that whole Lollipop type restrictions on writing to external SD card.
Instructions: How to Use SD Card as Internal Storage on Marshmallow:
But the downside is that if your internal storage is large enough you didn't need to do all this - as you are losing direct access to your local storage - with Internal mode you lose ability to micro-manage the built-in local storage, and the external SD card becomes your visible local storage.
So it's a trade-off - and basically it's up to your memory needs:
If 16GB of local storage in't enough, it may make sense to add 32GB external SD card and use it as your main internal storage.
Is it worth to lose seamless access to your main internal storage?
It will be appreciated to hear the first hand experiences of those who already get the Marshmallow.
Edited by MikeWill

After a few days with Marshmallow I have a couple comments, although I have not had time to go through the features much. It's a nice upgrade with some useful improvements.

1. Battery:

The new options to improve and extend battery life look pretty good. I haven't played with the per-app optimization, but I have turned on "battery saver" before sleeping and it works. I mean you could leave that on all day if you wanted and get some pretty amazing battery life. Of course, if you are actually actively USING your phone you would not want it in that mode.

For example, I charged the IQ II Friday evening, turned on battery saver that night, turned it off Saturday morning, back on at night, off in the morning - and on Sunday at noon I still had 50% battery. Of course, as soon as I started taking photos, using mobile data, etc, I was down to 33% within a few hours.

The Marshmallow battery settings let you get some of the battery advantages of a "dumb phone" with a smart phone. You just tell it to be dumb when you don't need the smarts and you can get DAYS of battery life out of it.

2. SD card:

The best micro card I could find out here in the boondocks is a Sandisk Ultra 32 GB. Marshmallow immediately detected it, and asked what I wanted to do with it - so I picked internal. It warned the card might be too slow, which is not what I wanted to hear - but I proceeded and have not noticed any problems with the card speed. When it is done, it does not tell you to REBOOT your phone, but as noted above YOU NEED TO DO IT.

As far as the internal/portable pros and cons, I think the only reason to choose "portable" is if you are familiar with using an SD card that way and want to remove it sometimes, or mount it like a camera or usb drive when you plug the phone into a PC port or something.

What REALLY is happening is that android has an emulated SD card (storage/emulated/0). If you also have an external SD card, it is sdcard1 (storage/sdcard1) - you had no choice in the past. With Marshmallow you can decide if you want the new card you plug into your phone to be one or the other - it can be sdcard1 in the old style or it can take the place of the old emulated SD and become storage/emulated/0. It is just a change in where the card is mounted in the filesystem.

Marshmallow includes a file explorer (finally) that lets you look at your SD card either way you do it. It is true that this built in explorer will not look at the rest of your phone storage, but ES Explorer and similar apps sure can, even on a non-rooted device. You can even copy files from anywhere in your phone to your SD card whether you have made it "internal" or not.

In my opinion, you do not lose any "seamless access" or "visibility" to your internal storage by selecting "internal", but if you are familiar with how SD cards worked in the past and want to keep using them that way then I suppose "portable" is the way to go.

Performance wise, I shot video and took "burst mode" photos and they were instantly recorded to the card, I didn't notice a difference between that and the IQ II internal memory.

3. Misc:

You can now set default apps for each action without resetting them all. Nice for when you install a new browser then decide you hate it.

You can also modify what shows on the quick settings panel which is pretty slick.

Per app permission settings is nice, and long overdue.

You can swipe left from lock screen to access voice search instead of the dialer, nice for those of us who rarely us our phones as phones.

Edited by chmod777

HELP !!

I am stumped.

The problems being with both my Micro SD card and also linking the phone to my laptop via USB

I am on Marshmallow

The SD card.

Formatted originally to FAT32.

I put it into the IQII phone and formatted it as requested for portable storage but I cannot save any photos to it.

The phone constantly tells me 'New SanDisk card detected.'

I have ticked the box that asks me if I want to save the files elswhere.

Am I missing something here?

I have tried the standard camera and MX camera but no option to save to the SD card - only to Facebook LINE etc.

Storage and USB tells me

Portable Storage

SanDisk SD card

320 KB used of 7.4 GB

Yet I look and there is nothing but empty folders.

Why are no photos getting stored onto it?

And what if I want to put music on?

IQii to Laptop.

When I ask it to open files, it says there is nothing there at all whether I click on Import Pictures and videos or Open device to view files.

Yet there are photos on the phone.

Am I missing something here too?

Thanks

Using a 2ND SD card, if I format it as internal storage it will transfer photos and other data.

Yet the card formatted as Portable cannot be seen to store photos on.

Portable would be preferable to me.

I do notice the format of the card for Portabe reaches 20% then it says it is formatted.

Phone restarted an into settings USB / STORAGE and nothing is there.

Any ideas?

Today, I get Marshmallow updates for both phones (my daughter and mine). Installed without problems. SD card is set as portable storage.

​My SD cards are from the old phones, so there is no need to format SD cards.

WhamBam, in your situation I would try to replace the SD Card.

My Wife's Android One IQ II crashed after about a month, while using Line (no surprise there) the screen went black. I tried to restart, reset but no joy. Took the battery out and it started to boot for a long time and went through optimising apps and crashed again.

Went back to the IQ store and had it replaced, after a lot of faffing I might add - 2 days and still working! I seem to have bad luck with phones for the Mrs.

Today, I get Marshmallow updates for both phones (my daughter and mine). Installed without problems. SD card is set as portable storage.

​My SD cards are from the old phones, so there is no need to format SD cards.

WhamBam, in your situation I would try to replace the SD Card.

I have swapped the cards. Problem remains the same with portable storage not working with photos.

I am reluctant to set the new card as internal because then it cannot be formatted to use with Windows in the laptop, even after re-formatting in the phone as portable.

Maybe there is a glitch in my Marshmallow download.

I bought this phone as a cheap replacement for a broken S5.

Just a warning to anybody thinking about buying this phone, it is a little slow, that's expected from the spec's it has but its still very use able.

The GPS however is hopeless. Forget about a position lock when in your house or car.

GPS toolbox app agps data download doesn't really help.

Bit of a bugger really because other than that the phone could have been a winner.

Currently running Android 6.0

Sent from my i-mobile IQ II using Tapatalk

It's 7 pm BKK time on Mon 9 Nov.

My IQ-II has still not notified me of a Marshmallow update - I even checked manually, but the phone says my phone is up to date - Android 5.1.1.

Any other owners in the same boat as me?

Update - Finally got the Marshmallow update today - 11/11. Installed without issue thus far. Very satisfied with my 4,000 Baht phone.

Look forward to further updates when they are released.

tx22cb, do you have an SD card, if so, how did you set it Internal or Portable? Any feedback?

I'd like to hear a feedback (drawbacks if any) from IQ-II users, who set their SD's as Internal

I use a 16 GB SD card, and set it to Portable - I think the phone's own internal 16 GB memory is enough for any Apps I may install, and the SD card will just be for files/data/songs/e-books/photos, which I may want to manipulate with my laptop when necessary.