What's the best way to get to Mukdahan from Bangkok for Savannakhet,Laos visa run?

Does anyone know the best way to get to Mukdahan from Bangkok? I'm thinking of taking a bus there from the Mo Chit northern bus terminal. I don't mind taking a bus every now and again, but I want to avoid the buses that have those annoying dubbed action movies blaring at full volume with the T.V screens in your face smile.png

• Like 1

Thats a long bus ride , 10 hours or more. They all have televisions but some of the better companies give passengers headphones so you don't have to put up with the noise. Get one with only three seats to a row for extra comfort or you will feel like death when you get there.

Air Asia and Nok Air have a fly/ride service to Mukdahan.

I didn't know that... It's gonna be useful to me too on January...

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

I just checked and it's a fantastic deal ... too bad there's not return available...

post-26625-0-42758700-1438769039_thumb.p

The Airasia option looks good but I wont be able to make the 2pm departure time going back to Bkk due to the Thai consulate returning passports at 2pm. I really want to just get in & get out as soon as I can. Not a lot to do in Savannakhet, but the locals there are very nice :) I guess I'll have to bus it back to Bkk.

When you say "visa run" you mean just crossing the border or getting to the actual consulate to get a Thai visa ?

If you need a Thai visa, how could a flight arriving late afternoon be of any help?

Unless you are prepared to stay an extra night...

Try Nok Air instead of Air Asia. Nok Air has "Fly & Ride" services from/to both airports in Sakon Nakhon and in Nakhon Phanom. Nok Air also has a drop off point at the bridge.

Air Asia has "Fly & Ride" only on their Nakhon Phanom flights and will drop you at the Indochine Market in downtown Mukdahan, which is quite e few kilometers away from the bridge.

Nokair has a return flight to Bkk at 5pm which would be ideal if i could make it. Has anyone had any experience getting out of Suvannakhet after passport pickup, and making the flight? It could be touch and go..

I have taken the 5:00 pm Nok Air fly-ride service. There is plenty of time to make it. If you did happen to be delayed for some reason, the driver will, on request, pick you up from the bridge.

Depends what you mean by best. Most efficient is probably the bus from MorChit2 option. It can get you to Mukdahan bus station in good time to catch the early morning cross-bridge services to Lao and onward for the Thai embassy. Visa application in at the Thai consulate before 11am, pick up 2pm next day, thus only one night hotel in Savanna but two nights on the bus either side. Also the cheapest option. But take the VIP, 24-seat bus, worth the extra 100+ Baht for the space.

With the fly options you will have to spend an extra night either in Muk or Savanna, neither of which are the most grippingly interesting towns in the region. Also, the fly option is more expensive and the linked van service comparatively expensive and time-consuming.

Depends what you mean by best. Most efficient is probably the bus from MorChit2 option. It can get you to Mukdahan bus station in good time to catch the early morning cross-bridge services to Lao and onward for the Thai embassy. Visa application in at the Thai consulate before 11am, pick up 2pm next day, thus only one night hotel in Savanna but two nights on the bus either side. Also the cheapest option. But take the VIP, 24-seat bus, worth the extra 100+ Baht for the space.

With the fly options you will have to spend an extra night either in Muk or Savanna, neither of which are the most grippingly interesting towns in the region. Also, the fly option is more expensive and the linked van service comparatively expensive and time-consuming.

Actually, if willing to take an (outrageously expensive) taxi across the bridge, the Nok Air fly-ride service arriving at the bridge a little before 10:00 am allows just enough time to reach the consulate with no need to travel the evening before.

The cost of the fly-ride service fluctuates. Sometimes if booking in advance, it can be about the same as the VIP bus from Morchit.

I am puzzled by your comment that the fly-ride service is "time consuming". I would say that one of its big advantages is four hours from Bangkok to the bridge, as opposed to 10+ hours on the bus.

If you could get a flight back from Laos for 2k leaving in the late afternoon, maybe worth a shot.

I didn't find it so bad taking the shuttle from Bangkok, spent the night in Mukdahan, got a Tuk-tuk over the bridge - but the way back was a chore, waiting around in town for a pickup.

Add the extra nights hotel, food and beer and your upto 2k.

Nokair has a return flight to Bkk at 5pm which would be ideal if i could make it. Has anyone had any experience getting out of Suvannakhet after passport pickup, and making the flight? It could be touch and go..

I have taken the 5:00 pm Nok Air fly-ride service. There is plenty of time to make it. If you did happen to be delayed for some reason, the driver will, on request, pick you up from the bridge.

Thanks.That's great to know. I'll take my chances & go with the Nok Air return fly-ride option then. It could be a little tight with the travel time getting to the airport on time for checkin though. But it'll save me a lot of unnecessary pain taking the bus back to Bkk. I never get any solid sleep on those long bus journeys.

Thats a long bus ride , 10 hours or more. They all have televisions but some of the better companies give passengers headphones so you don't have to put up with the noise. Get one with only three seats to a row for extra comfort or you will feel like death when you get there.

I travel on VIP... new buses... book ahead and sit downstairs most have single seats which are comfortable.. they don't often play s**** on the TVs these days.. but I carry ear-plugs just in case.... suggest traveling to Kalasin or Sakon Nakon and changing buses to Mukdahan.. it is along trip but the buses are comfortable.. they have 20 min stops to stretch your legs and get a bit to eat..

Actually, if willing to take an (outrageously expensive) taxi across the bridge, the Nok Air fly-ride service arriving at the bridge a little before 10:00 am allows just enough time to reach the consulate with no need to travel the evening before.

The cost of the fly-ride service fluctuates. Sometimes if booking in advance, it can be about the same as the VIP bus from Morchit.

I am puzzled by your comment that the fly-ride service is "time consuming". I would say that one of its big advantages is four hours from Bangkok to the bridge, as opposed to 10+ hours on the bus.

Yes you're right, the Nok Air early morning flight is just about do-able, but expensive by comparison when everything is factored in - taxi to DM to catch 6am flight, taxi to the bridge outside Mukdahan, tuktuk the Lao side to consulate - and plenty of chances for delays, thereby not making the 11am cut off at the consulate.

Yes you're right, the Nok Air early morning flight is just about do-able, but expensive by comparison when everything is factored in - taxi to DM to catch 6am flight, taxi to the bridge outside Mukdahan, tuktuk the Lao side to consulate - and plenty of chances for delays, thereby not making the 11am cut off at the consulate.

There is no need for a taxi to the bridge. If taking the fly-ride service, the driver will drop you at the bridge on the way to Mukdahan. The main expense is the taxi across the bridge. The few taxis with vehicle passports quote an extravagant price to take you. If really lucky, you might time things perfectly and be able to take the buss across, but you cannot afford to wait.

My wife is from Mukdahan,

Normally depending on the agenda, we fly into Ubon, and then catch a bus to Mukdahan. Usually a three hour ride. That is to downtown, Mukdahan, then you need to catch a ride to Friendship bridge, if you are going into Laos..... wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

From Bangkok VIP bus is best way, it cheap & actualy quicker than flying as less wasted time due to more direct transition from transport points & perfect timing for bridge & consulate, you leave around 8-9pm pending on bus you choose so can relax or snooze & arrive early morning just in time for a leg stretch, bathroom break & then buy ticket for bus over bridge when ticket booth opens all from same bus station so perfect & no rush or panic & no need get fleeced buy taxis or tuk-tuks as the bus over bridge takes you right to bus station in savannakhet that 10 minute stroll from consulate.

From Bangkok you can't do better than Sahaphand Roi-et Tours VIP from Northern bus terminal (3rd floor counter 37, price around 650Bt). Pick a seat on single seat side that takes your fancy on the computer display, they do have a tv but it normally not on for more than 1hr at most & seats & leg room & driver quality are very good, I generally hate long bus trips but this is fine & time goes real quick.

Flying is a right muck about & wastes a lot of time & money for no real gain in my opinion and that from actually experiencing both options.

Edited by BuckBee

From Bangkok VIP bus is best way, it cheap & actualy quicker than flying as less wasted time due to more direct transition from transport points & perfect timing for bridge & consulate, you leave around 8-9pm pending on bus you choose so can relax or snooze & arrive early morning just in time for a leg stretch, bathroom break & then buy ticket for bus over bridge when ticket booth opens all from same bus station so perfect & no rush or panic & no need get fleeced buy taxis or tuk-tuks as the bus over bridge takes you right to bus station in savannakhet that 10 minute stroll from consulate.

From Bangkok you can't do better than Sahaphand Roi-et Tours VIP from Northern bus terminal (3rd floor counter 37, price around 650Bt). Pick a seat on single seat side that takes your fancy on the computer display, they do have a tv but it normally not on for more than 1hr at most & seats & leg room & driver quality are very good, I generally hate long bus trips but this is fine & time goes real quick.

Flying is a right muck about & wastes a lot of time & money for no real gain in my opinion and that from actually experiencing both options.

Cool. I guess there are pluses and minuses for both methods of travelling out that way which can't be avoided, unless one chooses to part with a lot more cash & fly directly to Loas. I've travelled there by bus before & I was a wreck by the time I arrived at Mukdahan. Just sitting on my butt for 10 hours without any solid sleep really did a number on me haha. But I am a light sleeper. Horses for courses... A better bus company as you suggested would be the best option here for next time.

Anyway,I've booked a fly & ride return ticket with Nok Air for around 2,800 baht. Lets see how that works out :D

• Like 1

Cool. I guess there are pluses and minuses for both methods of travelling out that way which can't be avoided, unless one chooses to part with a lot more cash & fly directly to Loas. I've travelled there by bus before & I was a wreck by the time I arrived at Mukdahan. Just sitting on my butt for 10 hours without any solid sleep really did a number on me haha. But I am a light sleeper. Horses for courses... A better bus company as you suggested would be the best option here for next time.

Anyway,I've booked a fly & ride return ticket with Nok Air for around 2,800 baht. Lets see how that works out biggrin.png

I found the vip bus almost perfect, while I did not sleep much as never can on a bus, I was relaxed & comfortable & journeys always been smooth & no hassle, it so direct & timing/transition is perfect (no rush & perfectly relaxed process) & once dropped in the paperwork in morning you got plenty of time grab a bite to eat and a room for a shower & rest. Flights just waste loads of time at airport & in transit plus tends mean requiring more hotel time too.

Anyway,I've booked a fly & ride return ticket with Nok Air for around 2,800 baht. Lets see how that works out biggrin.png

I found the vip bus almost perfect, while I did not sleep much as never can on a bus, I was relaxed & comfortable & journeys always been smooth & no hassle, it so direct & timing/transition is perfect (no rush & perfectly relaxed process) & once dropped in the paperwork in morning you got plenty of time grab a bite to eat and a room for a shower & rest. Flights just waste loads of time at airport & in transit plus tends mean requiring more hotel time too.

Everyone's choice will be different. There is a good case for the VIP bus when going (though, like some others, for me it means a night of almost no sleep). However, I have a definite preference for the Nok Air fly-ride service back, arriving in Bangkok around 10:00 pm rather than 5:00 am.