US Senate approves new Bangkok envoy

webfact

He definitely seems to be a man of substance.

His name is kind of pretentiously Anglophile for an American but he had no control over that.

He's no BUBBA.

BTW, really nice tie in the OP picture ... maybe that can be his calling card in TIE-LAND. (Groan.)

Anglophile, really?

'Davies' is a Welsh name and would have Celtic origins rather than Anglo Saxon.

Americans don't care about such distinctions. It's a snooty sounding "upper class" exceedingly WHITE name to American ears. Deal with it. I'm sure he has ... quite well apparently.

Don't forget the Glyn either. Americans are usually GLEN.

My parents almost named me GARTH ... dodged that bullet! I was bullied enough.

Just like Brown, Smith, Taylor, Williams etc, etc, all very snooty, anglophile names I suppose ....

I see you had to edit your post to include `exceedingly WHITE`. Do you think Brown is an `exceedingly white` English name?

Just wondering.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

His name is kind of pretentiously Anglophile for an American but he had no control over that.

He's no BUBBA.

BTW, really nice tie in the OP picture ... maybe that can be his calling card in TIE-LAND. (Groan.)

Anglophile, really?

Americans don't care about such distinctions. It's a snooty sounding "upper class" exceedingly WHITE name to American ears. Deal with it. I'm sure he has ... quite well apparently.

Just like Brown, Smith, Taylor, Williams etc, etc, all very snooty, anglophile names I suppose ....

I see you had to edit your post to include `exceedingly WHITE`. Do you think Brown is an `exceedingly white` English name?

Just wondering.

Williams is a tad posh. Not the other ones. Too COMMON in the USA.

I think many African Americans have those names but I also think very few (or none) are named Glyn Davies!

I'm not suggesting this is a big deal, but it does say something about the parents of the new ambassador and perhaps his psychology growing up ... going with Glyn instead of the American name Glenn was saying something.

BTW, if you're suggesting that in the USA there aren't white sounding names and other ethnicity sounding names, well, that's ridiculous. There definitely are.

Edited by Jingthing

Davies is a snooty sounding name? WHAT??? It`s a working-class Welsh name!

`Deal with it`, okay sir, sorry sir, whatever you say sir. Haha

Not to Americans. It sounds like someone who went to an elite prep school in New England and I see he went to Georgetown U. Perfect.

So where did he go to prep school? Georgetown U is of course not a prep school.

After Ms. Kenney, it's a relief to see that Obama has decided to select someone who is qualified for this post. I wish Mr. Davies the best of luck.

I would be interested to know how much he contributed to the parasites re election campaign.

Hey, hey, hey... listen up what this man has to say. Obviously, there ain't no need for any contribution w00t.gif:

After Ms. Kenney, it's a relief to see that Obama has decided to select someone who is qualified for this post. I wish Mr. Davies the best of luck.

I would be interested to know how much he contributed to the parasites re election campaign.

In view of Thailand's current undemocratic state, he probably got a bonus.

The USA is fortunate to have his particular credentials as Ambassador to Thailand at a time when the USA must have a thorough understanding of Thailand's political, security and economic evolution.

Although he will need to adjust from dealing with a regime that has the largest per capita armed force in the world to a regime that has the largest per capita flag officers in the world.

He's no BUBBA.

Anglophile, really?

Yeah, Abe Greenberg, Manny Rothstein, Jesus Hernandez, Mohammed Saad Ali or Joe Rossi - much more American sounding! wink.png

In view of Thailand's current undemocratic state, he probably got a bonus.

The USA is fortunate to have his particular credentials as Ambassador to Thailand at a time when the USA must have a thorough understanding of Thailand's political, security and economic evolution.

Although he will need to adjust from dealing with a regime that has the largest per capita armed force in the world to a regime that has the largest per capita flag officers in the world.

He looks like a professional career diplomat. Sound choice.

Of course disappointing to a Shin fan like yourself. All those Shin apologists going on that the US wouldn't send a new ambassador as a slight to the current government.

Having a husband with experienced dealing with criminals must have been helpful to Ms. Kenney in her dealings with the Shins.

He will surely fix in well in his new job being he been involved in North Korean affairs. He will feel right at home here.

You go way above and beyond hyperbole with this statement. One week living under the NK government and you'd be begging to return to the freedom of Thailand.

Child-like rhetoric proving he has no clue what is really going on here.

Try to ignore him. My signature is good advice.

Of course, to the locals he will be known as "Grin Dawee", obviously a perfect fit for the Land of Smiles (sorry about that!)

I wish him the best of luck, but please don't come over as a big brother. Sabai sabai...jai yen yen na krab....wai.gif

Quote: “Happy & honored to be confirmed by US Senate. Jackie & I look forward to our move to Bangkok — City of Angels!

City of Angels. Oh no, he thinks he has been transferred to Los Angeles. Oh well, LA could use an Ambassador. More foreigners there than in the UN.

Not to Americans. It sounds like someone who went to an elite prep school in New England and I see he went to Georgetown U. Perfect.

What does your obsession have to do with the ThaiVisa OP? Nothing, so stop it, please.

"Important? Probably not" Pithy that is. Infinitely irrelevant and tedious. Probably.

Important? Probably not

Glyn is also a welsh name

Right on and I expect some of his ancestors came over from the valleys 300 years ago, but nevertheless, his name is not as American as John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

Nor is Sitting Bull, but his ancestors too were immigrants from Asia

Yes of course the U.S. is a nation of immigrants but there is still such a thing as Americanized names.

The names many people arrived with got CHANGED and then when there are children often the parents decide on Americanized first names.

Yes I agree, names are changed for many different reasons, and today's names by many are plain silly, that's my own opinion

Creative African American first names are seriously entertaining!

Edited by Jingthing