US Senate approves new Bangkok envoy

webfact

He definitely seems to be a man of substance.

His name is kind of pretentiously Anglophile for an American but he had no control over that.

He's no BUBBA.

BTW, really nice tie in the OP picture ... maybe that can be his calling card in TIE-LAND. (Groan.)

Anglophile, really?

'Davies' is a Welsh name and would have Celtic origins rather than Anglo Saxon.

Americans don't care about such distinctions. It's a snooty sounding "upper class" exceedingly WHITE name to American ears. Deal with it. I'm sure he has ... quite well apparently.

Don't forget the Glyn either. Americans are usually GLEN.

My parents almost named me GARTH ... dodged that bullet! I was bullied enough.

What on earth are you talking about? I know many Americans and I am certain none would take such an absurd position of considering such a perfectly normal name "snooty" or "upper class".Your earlier use of the term "Anglophile" is simply incorrect and it's apparent you don't understand its meaning.If you have some kind of class chip on your shoulder so be it but it's ludicrous to show it up on so frail a pretext.

You are also incorrect to imagine Americans are free of class distinctions.

And if the surnames with Anglo Saxon or Western European origins upset you so much I'm not sure how you react to Bush,Clinton,Reagan,Ford,Nixon, Carter, Johnson,Kennedy,Eisenhower,Truman,Roosevelt etc.

Let's accept on the evidences that JingJag is bonkers on this issue. Oops, excuse me, "banque-ers", sounds better.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You fail to get my point. I don't know if intentionally or just because you really can't understand how things sound to Americans.

Like I said I was almost named GARTH.

Garth is an uncommon name in the U.S. and sounds a bit like you are putting on airs.

Yes to American ears it sounds upper class English. To name me that would have been fake and aspirational of my parents.

If I had been named Garth that would create an impression with Americans different than if I had been named Bubba.

Now what people become in life is often very different than an impression given by their name, but it is still true names give impressions.

Go ahead and pretend that you can't process that kind of information.

As far as your obsession with Welsh vs. English, what percentage of Americans do you reckon are clued in to that distinction? Well, I can tell you. Not many. You can call us idiots for that or we can call you idiots for not being aware of the difference between Ohio and Michigan. The full name from the OP sounds Anglo to most Americans and whether it is or not was not really the point at all in the first place.

Next ...

"You fail to get my point." I fail to locate one.

Davies is a snooty sounding name? WHAT??? It`s a working-class Welsh name!

`Deal with it`, okay sir, sorry sir, whatever you say sir. Haha

Not to Americans. It sounds like someone who went to an elite prep school in New England and I see he went to Georgetown U. Perfect.

What does your obsession have to do with the ThaiVisa OP? Nothing, so stop it, please.

Big Deal if he attended Georgetown U. I would rather have a diplomat attend a well known university (Georgetown is known for international studies) than Kentucky State where Yingluck attended.

Why?

You've got a job to offer.

You get two email queries.

One from Kenneth Etherington.

Another from Joe Smith.

Now tell me with a straight face those two names don't create different impressions.

Now in the U.S. if Kenneth Etherington showed up to wash your toilet, you might be a tiny bit surprised.

"Now tell me with a straight face those two names don't create different impressions." Your problem is you're speaking of your own mental condition when you see those names.

After Ms. Kenney, it's a relief to see that Obama has decided to select someone who is qualified for this post. I wish Mr. Davies the best of luck.

I would be interested to know how much he contributed to the parasites re election campaign.

$0 is the likely answer.

It is a long tradition that zillionaires get the plum postings, nothing new there, but Mr. Davies is a distinguished professional. It isn't difficult to distinguish the two categories -- tho' it seems to be beyond your mental capacity.

City of angels, for short:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok

The name, composed of Pali and Sanskrit root words, translates as:

City of angels, great city of immortals, magnificent city of the
, seat of the king, city of royal palaces, home of gods incarnate, erected by
at
's behest.

What does this have to do with anything?

After Ms. Kenney, it's a relief to see that Obama has decided to select someone who is qualified for this post. I wish Mr. Davies the best of luck.

I would be interested to know how much he contributed to the parasites re election campaign.

In view of Thailand's current undemocratic state, he probably got a bonus.

The USA is fortunate to have his particular credentials as Ambassador to Thailand at a time when the USA must have a thorough understanding of Thailand's political, security and economic evolution.

Although he will need to adjust from dealing with a regime that has the largest per capita armed force in the world to a regime that has the largest per capita flag officers in the world.

"a regime that has the largest per capita flag officers in the world". I believe you but would like an English-language website with the numbers. I once came up with a Thai Generals:Thai Tanks ratio but my numbers are now not current.

Nor is Sitting Bull, but his ancestors too were immigrants from Asia

Yes of course the U.S. is a nation of immigrants but there is still such a thing as Americanized names.

The names many people arrived with got CHANGED and then when there are children often the parents decide on Americanized first names.

Georgetown is a great school indeed in a great elite neighborhood of D.C.

So did he go to an elite New England prep school? Can't find that level of bio on the guy.

"Georgetown is a great school" You know this because you went there or are you just flapping lip again?

So did he go to an elite New England prep school? Can't find that level of bio on the guy.

"Georgetown is a great school" You know this because you went there or are you just flapping lip again?
Well I've "slept" there. Does that count?

It's the oldest Catholic school in the USA.

He definitely seems to be a man of substance.

His name is kind of pretentiously Anglophile for an American but he had no control over that.

He's no BUBBA.

BTW, really nice tie in the OP picture ... maybe that can be his calling card in TIE-LAND. (Groan.)

Anglophile, really?

'Davies' is a Welsh name and would have Celtic origins rather than Anglo Saxon.

Americans don't care about such distinctions. It's a snooty sounding "upper class" exceedingly WHITE name to American ears. Deal with it. I'm sure he has ... quite well apparently.

Don't forget the Glyn either. Americans are usually GLEN.

My parents almost named me GARTH ... dodged that bullet! I was bullied enough.

Americans may not care about such things but let me assure you that the Viet-Taff ( or Welsh as they are more properly named) would get very upset at anyone referring to a name like Glynn Davies as "anglophile".

Never mistake the members of the Celtic fringe with the English!

As names go Glynn Davies is as Welsh as they get!

and the connection with the OP regarding the American Ambassador to Thailand is ....

Nor is Sitting Bull, but his ancestors too were immigrants from Asia

Yes of course the U.S. is a nation of immigrants but there is still such a thing as Americanized names.

The names many people arrived with got CHANGED and then when there are children often the parents decide on Americanized first names.

I never said Americans are free of class distinctions. Duh! If you're not American how can you pretend to know how things sound to Americans?

I never said I was upset either. Maybe stop making things up.

If you are not upset, why are you incoherent?

I never said Americans are free of class distinctions. Duh! If you're not American how can you pretend to know how things sound to Americans?

I never said I was upset either. Maybe stop making things up.

If you are not upset, why are you incoherent?

Welcome to my ignore list.drunk.gif

and the connection with the OP regarding the American Ambassador to Thailand is ....

It was a comment on the school he went to. A very old and good school run by Jesuits if my memory is correct and a great basketball team. Jt said he went to a prep school but mistook a college for a prep school.

I am well aware what Georgetown U. is. Intimately so. I was wondering if he went to an elite prep school BEFORE Georgetown University. I couldn't find anything in his bio about education before then.

Edited by Jingthing

I am well aware what Georgetown U. is. Intimately so. I was wondering if he went to an elite prep school BEFORE Georgetown University. I couldn't find anything in his bio about education before then.

Jt wrote, "Not to Americans. It sounds like someone who went to an elite prep school in New England and I see he went to Georgetown U. Perfect"

wai2.gif

Jt wrote, "Not to Americans. It sounds like someone who went to an elite prep school in New England and I see he went to Georgetown U. Perfect"

wai2.gif

You misread my post. G.U. is in Washington D.C. I know D.C. very, very well. D.C. is NOT in New England.

Why all this bitching about where he went to school and was educated? If he has the right credentials and is the right man for the position let him get on with it. I wish him the best and hope to God that he understands thainess

I'm not bitching. I love G.U. GO HOYAS.

It's an elite school and I wondered about his family background BEFORE G.U. including type of school and suggested based in his posh sounding (to Americans) name I wouldn't be surprised if that was an elite school as well. But of course not necessarily.

wai2.gif

You misread my post. G.U. is in Washington D.C. I know D.C. very, very well. D.C. is NOT in New England.

Don't complain to me. Practice clear writing for a while. I didn't misread anything. giggle.gif Far more interesting to me is the fact that he got a masters at the National War College. Doesn't that mean he was in the military? The boys down at the bar where the diplomats hang out seem to think he is from Wyoming but what do they know? I'm not a regular there only pop in a couple of times a week to see if there any new CIA guys around.smile.png

Edited by lostoday