Installation Of Oscommerce Webshop

Carol

I have problems with

1. finding the path to the file for changing "user permission" and how to do this. The database of the shop is in PHP language.

2. How can I get rid of the error message which appears on top of my homepage:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /var/www/html/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

Can anyone help me ?

Thanks for any information. :o

I have problems with

1. finding the path to the file for changing "user permission" and how to do this. The database of the shop is in PHP language.

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /var/www/html/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

Can anyone help me ?

Depends who the owner of the file is but you can try this:

chmod 555 /var/www/html/catalog/includes/configure.php

This is read/execute by everyone but write by none. Possible the subdirectory may need changed to this also.

The command 'chmod' should already be in the default paths. If not you can find it with this:

find / -name chmod -print

Edited by tywais

I have problems with

Can anyone help me ?

1) All the settings configurations are are located in : includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php. More specifically the DB settings are at the bottom of the file. Btw us the DB is a basic Mysql and the shopping cart is php driven with an important part in OOP. No DB (at least relational DB) are in php in my knowledge.

2) you will simply log in your ftp (IE, ftp client, cpanel), and let be read only. Execute is USELESS for any .php file, because there are basically text files, not executable (what I say is wrong in some special case, namely CURL installed not as a module, so you have to call it by exec('bin/curl',.......) and the whole folder CURL (including any componment have to be executable by the user who need to do so, user have to be understood as physical user, nothing to do with internet user).

3) you did not asked for , but in case of red error message persisting on the top you have the solution to check the following file (includes/header.php), you go line 129 for a basic OSC MS2.2 and you will simply comment the display of the error messages. The related error message are : configure.php with the wrong rights, upload folder non existing and register global off, they are useless but just give a hint to the newby related to the security.

If yo uhave other problem similar, feel free to contact me directly, I will sort them out on my spare time and for free (I do not charge TV member lol).

Edited by sting01

To the moderator who moved this topic in Linux subforum:

OsCommerce is a PHP program, it mean it's a SERVER side and by so is not dealing with OS intalled on the server as long as PHP is installed, register global set ON and a Mysql DB is avalaible.

I use a good old Win XP 2003 as test server here, while the online server are in florida running under FreeBSD. The files that I send or retrieve are the same (it's logical for any people wit small clues to IT, Do you have any?).

Due the huge amount of semi professionals usign Oscommerce, I think it would be trully better for the community to have this thread moved back to the main IT forum.

To the OP, an interresting link :

www.oscommerce.com

check the community there, and also check the add on modules. Whatver you want to add as new features you will find it there. As it's free, you will avoid to waste money by paying a coder (mostly the installations time are under one hour and are simply cut and past some snipets).

To the moderator who moved this topic in Linux subforum:

OsCommerce is a PHP program, it mean it's a SERVER side and by so is not dealing with OS intalled on the server as long as PHP is installed, register global set ON and a Mysql DB is avalaible.

The directory path and switches, '/', indicates a unix enviornment the OP is working in.

Edited by tywais