Where is this?

RC8

Yes near khao kor is this new temple. There are 2 temples opposit of eachother. Some months ago it wasn't all finished yet but open. You can only enter without shoes so bring cheap fitflops.

Also short sleeves are not allowed, i couldn't go in because of that.

Situated on Route 12 if coming from Lom Sak it is on the right hand side as you get to the top of the mountain,it's well sign posted.

I was there on Wednesday as at the moment the mountains are shrouded in thick cloud and mist adding to the wonderful scenery.

Naturally if your coming from Phitsanulok or via Nakon Thai it's much further to reach,I live in Lom Sak so it's only a 30 minute drive.

If you are going to visit there are a few other sites of interest well within reach.

The memorial at Khao Khor where the Thai communists fought is worth a visit and the big Pagoda on the way.

Also there are numerous water falls situated on route 12 Kaeng Sopha and Keang song to name a few.

Ok so it would be possible if you took the bus to Lom Sak from Mor Chit.

But then you would need to get another of the many buses that travel between Lom Sak and Phitsanulok or.

There is a guy in Lom Sak with a taxi for rent but it's the oldest car in Thailand,or there is a guy now renting motorcycles,you could base yourself here hotels are very cheap 300/400 a night.

It all depends how badly you want to go and what sort of budget.

Yes near khao kor is this new temple. There are 2 temples opposit of eachother. Some months ago it wasn't all finished yet but open. You can only enter without shoes so bring cheap fitflops.

You normally take off shoes to enter any Wat building - and in 47 years here have not had any missing on my exit. But yes - it could happen - but it is not likely. As for short sleeves have never had that issue and have never worn anything but - are you female perhaps and speaking of sleeveless (as believe that can be frowned upon)?

You normally take off shoes to enter any Wat building - and in 47 years here have not had any missing on my exit. But yes - it could happen - but it is not likely. As for short sleeves have never had that issue and have never worn anything but - are you female perhaps and speaking of sleeveless (as believe that can be frowned upon)?

I don't wear sleeveless and always wear shorts. Also i wear slippers which cost 4500 baht so i wouldn't put those between thousands of other slippers at a temple.

I'm a man and just don't want to offend anybody by visiting their temples in unappropriate clothes. I waited outside those temples and from the outside they looked impressive but it's still a thai temple, not the Taj Mahall or something of that class.

We were there during a very busy weekend, parking was terrible and even walking from the parking to the temples was very dangerous. They forgot to build a good parking with a walkway to the temples.

Maybe the roadwork is finished now and they really made a superroad, perfect for motorbike racing wink.png

Understand your concern - Thai are very casual in Wats and as long as you keep your feet on the floor all should be fine. The short pants could be the issue then rather than the short sleeves I suspect.

Well for me it's ridiculous to wear long sleeves when the temperatures are above 30 celcius. So i don't visit temples anymore, i've seen enough of them allready.

It was funny though, while we walked from the parking to the temple (we were in a big group from BKK and i was the only farang) the cars didn't show any respect for pedestrians walking on the road. I had to jump aside a few times or they would have driven me over. And that for a budhist temple.......thumbsup.gif

Also i don't understand why they built those temples on that spot. It's in the middle of nowhere so why did they build it there?

Understand your concern - Thai are very casual in Wats and as long as you keep your feet on the floor all should be fine. The short pants could be the issue then rather than the short sleeves I suspect.

Well for me it's ridiculous to wear long sleeves when the temperatures are above 30 celcius. So i don't visit temples anymore, i've seen enough of them allready.

It was funny though, while we walked from the parking to the temple (we were in a big group from BKK and i was the only farang) the cars didn't show any respect for pedestrians walking on the road. I had to jump aside a few times or they would have driven me over. And that for a budhist temple.......thumbsup.gif

Also i don't understand why they built those temples on that spot. It's in the middle of nowhere so why did they build it there?

Sadly you've gradually turned a fairly informative and reasonable thread into a bit of a Thai bashing one.

Which is a bit of a shame because the temple is situated in a terrific part of the country,a part which generally sees few western tourists in all honesty which with your replies may not be such a bad thing after all.

As I have said - have not worn a long sleeve shirt in more than 40 years and have never been asked not to enter any Wat (but admit my experience is limited in number as have never been a tourist). Until recently the short sleeve safari suit was considered dress wear here (unfortunately the suit and tie crowd seem to have increased during this period - not my favorite Western influence). But I do wear long pants. As for location normally it is donated land. The Wats often do act as a core for new development in such cases.

I don't know why you were stopped for wearing a short sleeved top, but see the opening stages of the posted video, which clearly shows both men and ladies in short sleeved tops that are perfectly acceptable.

The dress-of-the day is basically respectful smart casual, including smart jeans. Ladies in shorts or short skirts/see-through fabrics/sleeveless tops etc are asked to use wraparounds provided by the Wat at the entrances. As a gent, I always wear shorts and a short-sleeved T-shirt and have never had any problems.

The toilets are clean and modern and located near the shoe drop-off locations. They even provide you with free temporary-use of flip-flops near the toilets.

We've been there many times. It's a beautiful place in beautiful surroundings. We normally go all the way up to park in the top car park, very close to the massive Buddha statue. Last time we went was on a recent bank holiday and we had to park on the road a little way down from the car park, but close to the top entrance/toilets.

We go North up Route 21, then left onto Route 12, both good roads. The road off the 12 is narrow, winding and steep locally.

Whilst in the Khao Kho area, there are many more superb places to visit, such as the King's Palace, the open-air war relic museum (with a "huey" helicopter, field artillery, a fixed wing spotter-plane, machine guns, ammunition, etc) - great fun, even for our 1-year old grandson. An obelisk tops a nearby hill, honouring those who fought off waves of communist insurgents. There's also the "International Library", with its attractive displays of flowers, colourful plants and flowering/fruit trees. And there's a nearby large Stupa (housing a Buddhist relic) with a (very) long line of large prayer-bells to ring. The scenic views around the whole area are superb.

Njoy!

I wasn't stopped entering the temple in my shorts (or short sleeves). It was my wife who told me i can't go in because of my clothes. If i remember correctly she read a sign which tells short sleeves are not allowed. My wife also didn't go in but i forgot the reason why, guess her clothes also were too short.

The rest of our group went in both temples but had seen it all within 5 minutes.

In the past i have been in Thai temples where they gave long sleeved clothes to all visitors to enter. It is not done to enter a temple in short sleeves/shorts.

If this is Thai bashing then so be it. I 'm just writing my experiences. I 'm not a tourist and live among Thai only and follow their advices. I respect their religion and sure don't want to offend them, i probably could have gone in the temple without any problems but out of respect i didn't.

Archived