AUSSIES! Can't understand em

fang37

Disclosure - I am an Aussie - "Come on Aussie, come on"

I come from a land down under

Those abos

Those Aussies sure talk funny.

Thus, this thread could have been titled "Aussie Language 101"

The Aussie growth in population was primarily achieved by English migration - 'One Pound Pom". As an incentive to venture to the Land Down Under, the government provided an incentive.

Then came the Italians & Greeks. More recently, there has been the Asian invasion eg Japanese, Koreans, Chinese & Vietnamese.

How can they possible understand Aussie lingo.

Here are a few examples -

How ya goin mate?

I am pissed

I am pissed off.

Piss off

Gonna have ONE at the local

Met me sheila?

(Aussies also have a habit of omitting the "g" at the end of a word eg goin cf to going.)

NOW, OVER TO YOU!

ENJOY IT OR PISS OFF!

An obvious omission - the Irish

Never marry a Roman Catholic (a Mick). Marry 'em & you hafta change ya religun.

Many Aussies (until the influx of KFC et al ate Pommie food eg meat & 3 veg, cish & fips.

But, nuffin like an Aussie Barbie - plenty of XXXX. Bundy & sausages.

See ya latta

Edited by fang37

What has this got to do with Thailand?

Well mate, they do have some Aussies here - a lotta them.

They don't speak English - speak Aussie - get used to it.

I ain't pissin' off! Are you?

I always said Aussies cannot hold their drink. Here we have the proof. But what else can one expect from a nation that drinks their ale from what is, let's face it, a sherry glass called a schooner! Poor old fang has obviously had a few schooners tonight, maybe half a dozen, more than enough for the average Aussie! That coupled with the fact that he has probably spent the day watching the 'Red hot favourites' for the Ashes cricket series, Michelle Clarke and his team of moustache sporting mincers getting rolled over for a laughable 60 all out, (Yes sixty all out), before lunch! Then the poor sod had to sit there watching young Joe Root carting gay icon Mitchell Johnson all round Trent Bridge! No wonder he is a tad pissed off! Chin up fang, tomorrow is another day!

In the good ol' days, you could buy 10 pots for AUD2. Now, more than $2/pot.

Those NSW guys drink schooners (15floz). We Qlders drink pots (10floz).

DHs drink shandies - beer & lemonade - a sheila's drink.

Go out for a barbie - take a carton of stubs.

Sheilas - now drink white wine at BBQs - Chateau Cardboard.

In fact, Oz produces some on the best cheaper wine in the world. Too much vino gives me the "runs".

Aussies just can't afford to REALLY drink anymore - $$$.

I enjoyed "rollies" - ro;; ya own cigs - preference - Drum.

Yes, Soibiker, they sent the cons to Oz - we took the best & left the rest. "British"? Hi-So chatter? Bowler hat & cane stuff.

Why stick at Aussies. There are so many regional accents in the UK complete with their own slang.

I had to work with some Glaswegian welders once and needed a translator, not joking.

I was sat in the beer garden one night, two Aussies sat close to me were having a disagreement over something. I thought they were just asking forceful questions to each other.

Have a boss day la'.

In the good ol' days, you could buy 10 pots for AUD2. Now, more than $2/pot.

Those NSW guys drink schooners (15floz). We Qlders drink pots (10floz).

DHs drink shandies - beer & lemonade - a sheila's drink.

Go out for a barbie - take a carton of stubs.

Sheilas - now drink white wine at BBQs - Chateau Cardboard.

In fact, Oz produces some on the best cheaper wine in the world. Too much vino gives me the "runs".

Aussies just can't afford to REALLY drink anymore - $$$.

I enjoyed "rollies" - ro;; ya own cigs - preference - Drum.

Yes, Soibiker, they sent the cons to Oz - we took the best & left the rest. "British"? Hi-So chatter? Bowler hat & cane stuff.

Errrm... Barbie time = take a slab of piss.

I have found that no matter which country you are in quite often it is the smaller rural towns that have the strongest accent. I recall watching an Aussie farming show in Aust with English subtitles.

I have found that no matter which country you are in quite often it is the smaller rural towns that have the strongest accent. I recall watching an Aussie farming show in Aust with English subtitles.

My experience - similar in LOS. CNX - no problems.

You are not an Australian. You are the decendant of an immigrant to Australia.

BS!

Even the aborigines (not aboriginals=adjective), purportedly the 1st humans resident in Oz, originally came from Asia.

1788 - 1st convict settlers from UK.

Now, from anywhere & everywhere.

BS!

Even the aborigines (not aboriginals=adjective), purportedly the 1st humans resident in Oz, originally came from Asia.

Yeah...but here is the thing whitey. They arrived more than 50,000 years before you did.

BS!

OK!

Yeah...but here is the thing whitey. They arrived more than 50,000 years before you did.

Gotta love that cute little rising intonation that Aussies put at the end of every sentence.

Is it really a sign of insecurity and of not being taken seriously that every sentence sounds like a question? A subconscious quest for confirmation the speaker seeks that the intended audience is actually listening?

Yes, they do have some odd turns of phrase down that way.

Oh, and it was 10 pound/quid Poms. Not one pound Poms.