Thailand Generals don't have an economic plan - Economy of 2nd biggest economoy in SEA slipping

Part of my post is missing. I want to generate a discussion on the influence of government on economies. positive, negative or insignificant. Its a reasonable topic. so is the state of the economy due to mismanagement or due to previous government or what?

The economy is the last thing on the present governments mind they have other priorities.. Take a look at Pavin Chachavalpongpun's article in the New York Times july 19 "A Thai House Divided" it explains the situation very well.

Part of my post is missing. I want to generate a discussion on the influence of government on economies. positive, negative or insignificant. Its a reasonable topic. so is the state of the economy due to mismanagement or due to previous government or what?

---------------------------

whistling.gif.Rather depends doesn't it.

You really can't expect human beings to be clairvoyant, can you.

For example, Thai Economic Planning can turn on the expectation that the Chinese economy will keep growing and therefore Thailand's exports to China will keep growing, and Thailand's economy will also grow accordingly.

Then, for example, China's growth rate slows, and they do not import as much as expected due to that slowdown.

Is that "incompetence" on the part of Thai authorities, or just bad luck?

Depends on how you want to call it I guess.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

"as the government's economic argument loses force, the only authority it will have left is its force of arms."

For the thousands of millionaire Thai Flag Officers it would be enough to stay in power and milk the nation's treasury.