Retirement: Thailand vs Spain

TIMMMMM

If you are younger than 50....go and look..." Caminante no hace caminos...se hace caminos al andar "

Language a lot easier to learn in Spain...and a lot more useful around the world

Food a lot better and healthier

A lot better weather.... and not mosquitos!

Close to all European destinations and cheaper flights to the US and South America

A very busy and safe night life.

Culture...culture...culture...

Women are very beautiful and open minded....to the younger ones...Old guys.....who like younger women...better to chose Thailand...but..if you do like nice and intellectual mature women.....Europe is the place to be,

I am not living there because I need visa...and I got lucky with my woman here.....if not.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a "Lucrative Visa" for those who need visa, non-EU folks. It is renewable after 1,2,and 2 years and lead to Spanish Permanent Residency after 5 years.

I don't like Modelo 720 form at all though. I wonder why would they need that one...

I would say that is pretty spot on.

The problem with that site is that in many instances it simply doesnt compare like with like.

For example: it compares a meal in a local Spanish restaurant at 385B (10EUR) and one in Thailand at 50B.

Well, yes, you can get a bowl of noodle soup at a street stall here for 50B and very nice it is too. But it just cant be compared to what you can get in Spain. Even in France 15EUR buys you a very good 3-course meal served in a proper restaurant with real tables and chairs, clean dishes and cutlery, air-con, free water and free bread.

If you take a truly comparable meal here it will probably cost you 300+B, maybe more. And the wine you have with it will cost a small fortune here whereas in Spain it will only cost a Euro (40B).

So I am very wary of the figures quoted on that site.

True you can eat a simple ouch for that.

Even in Lamphun if gf and I do a nothing fancy dinner with a couple rounds of Chang its 900-1000 baht.

Someone here mentioned Panama. I searched it and found a site called the wave. It made Panama sound so good especially for Americans. Discounts on many things for retired people.Good infrastructure,lots of middle class etc. If I was younger and american thats where i would be.

if you are receiving the state pension its not frigging frozen.

if me and mrs meat had a choice now we would live in maspalomas.

The rolling sand dunes offer many places to hide away. Those with a weak stomach should always beware of the nudist section.

Maspalomas ??? Been there and done it....

my wandering days are over those dunes,but a good pair of binoculars come in handy.

yes they have women in SPAIN, mostly frequenting roundabouts at night and speaking russian, i had a town house there for 2 years. only reason i left, i had to pay the bitch off, he he. 2 bed town house , private road, sea view, pool, everything inside it, bought for £70,000, probably cheaper now.

Hi everyone,

I've lived in both Spain and Thailand: 9 years in España and nearly 5 in Thailand. Am seriously looking at a move back to Spain. In the south of Spain, outside of the tourist areas, the cost of living is extremely reasonable. So, a supermarket shop is measurably less than in Thailand. In my pueblo a cafe con leche is 1 euro, as is a small glass of Cruz Campo. I've just compared my living costs in Bangkok to Spain and reckon there is little difference.

However, tax is a real issue in Spain. It's much higher than in the UK. Both countries have progressive rates of tax, but there are more tax bands in Spain and they are higher. Also, the current tax free allowance in the UK is £10,600 against around £3679 in Spain. Spain also has a wealth tax, and an annual asset declaration for any assets over 50,000 euros outside the country.The penalties for failing to complete this declaration are horrendous.

Culture-wiseSpain thumps Thailand. Also, the beaches are much nicer in Spain.

Corruption is a major problem in Spain, but it's off thev 'richter' here lol.

The thing I appreciate most about Spain is the sense of 'community'. Your local bar quickly becomes the centre of your social life. There's a real feeling of communiy. Well, that was my experience.

The ideal would be a foot in both camps. Decisions, decisions :)

PS The editor on this forum sucks!

The EU completely f up Spain and other club med countries. It used to be much cheaper in Spain and lower taxes.

The spain of 20 - 30 years ago was much better to retire and buy a house . No reporting of a second home to your country.

With all those unemployed and a lot of african immigrants , crime is certainly worse than Thailand.

Even under the junta here , Thailand is a much free-er and more relaxed country. The "manjana" attitude is different from the "mai pen rai " in Thailand.

Then if you keep your money in a Spanish bank , the riscs of bail ins , is big. Just ask the Brits on Cyprus how much fun that is.

And Spain is becoming a fascist state :

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-13/1984-comes-europe-end-freedom-speech-spain

Again , if Spain was like 20-30 years ago , I would not be in Thailand!

Yeah since the Spanish police have been heavily involved with the British police on hunting down people involved in heavy crimes places like Pattaya and Hua Hin are more apealing then the Costa del crime.....

So there is freedom of speech in Thailand eh?

Edited by sickwaterbuffalo2

I would pick Spain any day than Thailand. Very easy to get visa for wife I did it last year but UK do not recognise the Schenzen visa. Property is very cheap. I lived in Mallorca for 4 years had a charter boat back when Franco was in power. The most greener part of Spain is Galisia, there are thousands of abandoned villages and farm type homes made in Stone. If you are for it you can buy a Finca/farm with many acres from 70,000 to 200,000 Euro depending on it's condition. It can get quite cold and snowy in Galicia Winter.

Most of us are in Thailand for the cheap sex, great if you already have a 'take out', but for the rest of us.

No point in telling us about Spain without telling us about Spanish hookers.

whistling.gif Basically the difference was in Thailand and Spain when I retired I had a Thai wife to live with and a place to stay already set up in Thailand.......and I did not have those in Spain or Greece.... I was working in Greece when I retired.

If I went to Spain or Greece after retirement, I would be starting a new life.... I already had one in Thailand.

By the way I am a U.S. citizen.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Spain is an excellent country for gays. It was one of the first in Europe to marry gays in Town Halls.

All of the major cities have various gay bars and saunas. There are 3 gay beaches Between Malaga and Marbella, and more near Benidorm. Sitges (20 minutes from Barcelona) is vitually an all-gay town

Gran Canaria is almost totally gay. Ibiza is 50-50. Gays can buy houses togethr and live as couples... Better to be gay in Spain than most places!!

Spain is an excellent country for gays. It was one of the first in Europe to marry gays in Town Halls.

All of the major cities have various gay bars and saunas. There are 3 gay beaches Between Malaga and Marbella, and more near Benidorm. Sitges (20 minutes from Barcelona) is vitually an all-gay town

Gran Canaria is almost totally gay. Ibiza is 50-50. Gays can buy houses togethr and live as couples... Better to be gay in Spain than most places!!

You don't have to look far in Pattaya, or other places in Thailand, to see that gays are well catered for. No shortage in the Philippines either. The fact that Spain has a very liberal attitude towards gays wouldn't influence me either way as far as moving there.

Edited by giddyup

Toured and travelled Spain a lot before coming to TH in 2009. I must have been followed down the motorway into a rest area and robbed by Romany scammers-they look for foreign plates. Had my topbox stolen in an instant off my motorbike. That was enough for me. Ask yourself, what follows high unemployment and a housing bubble that burst !

Toured and travelled Spain a lot before coming to TH in 2009. I must have been followed down the motorway into a rest area and robbed by Romany scammers-they look for foreign plates. Had my topbox stolen in an instant off my motorbike. That was enough for me. Ask yourself, what follows high unemployment and a housing bubble that burst !

That's never likely to happen in Thailand!

How very odd that this topic should come up at this time. I am actively looking in to moving to Spain with my lovely Thai Wife. My reasons are, at least I can get medical cover (now 70 years of age and almost impossible to get medical insurance). I have quite a lot of Family and Friends living in the UK and must admit that over the last 10 years here in Thailand, which I have enjoyed immensely, I am missing. I will qualify for the annual Government Pension Increase. I would love to tour around Europe with my lovely Lady, which from here, becomes very expensive viz-a-viz flights etc. My Friend has a stables near where we intend to settle, but I find Thailand a bit too hot for riding (horses you fool!). We have a very successful letting business here, which is now worth 150% more than what we built it for, plus a very strong returning client base, but houses where I am, are being built like topsy, so it can only be a matter of time when the prices top out and start to slide in value. Spain's property last year increased for the first time since the whole industry crashed for the last 10+ years. Now is the time to buy as it should increase in value at 2 to 3%pa, if not more. We will of course come back go lovely Thailand for holidays each year. It has been very kind to us and we have many lovely Thai Family Members and Friends, whom we hope will come and holiday with us in Spain. A new adventure for us, which will stir the bones a bit and already we are quite excited, even though the plan if for mid next year. Anyone want to buy a highly successful resort, please pm me.

^^

If you have an English state pension, you are covered.

As a Thai national, your wife is only covered if she works in Spain and pays Spanish taxes.

As for when to buy, the EU is widely predicted to drop to 1.6E/GBP ...... so wait.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

After knowing Thailand since more then 40 years, with some long stays, I clearly opt for Spain. Much better food, no language problems (I speak Spanish fluently), better climate, nice and cheap housing, better infrastructure, much higher road safety, no cheating, no different prices for foreigners as in Thailand, same currency as in most of Europe, etc.

Its a no brainer : Spain win easy - only gonna make the biggest cons / pros :

Thailand

Cons : RTP sick.gif - Junta - Dangerous - Unfriendly - Bad healthcare - not cheap anymore - Xenophobia crazy.gif - Corruption and a lot more ...

Pros : Women (my wife) wub.png

Spain

Cons : Winter - EU

Pros : Food and wine - Democracy - No dual prices - No police-ba$tards - Beautiful country and a lot more ...

Edited by Jimlove

Its a no brainer : Spain win easy - only gonna make the biggest cons / pros :

Thailand

Cons : RTP sick.gif - Junta - Dangerous - Unfriendly - Bad healthcare - not cheap anymore - Xenophobia crazy.gif - Corruption and a lot more ...

Pros : Women (my wife) wub.png

Spain

Cons : Winter - EU

Pros : Food and wine - Democracy - No dual prices - No police-ba$tards - Beautiful country and a lot more ...

So when are you taking your first trip to Spain or Thailand?

The main reason I'm living in Thailand rather than Spain or Portugal is tax. If I lived in the EU I would pay a lot and here I dont.

Not sure if that's true about the tax

What taxes are you talking about?

Income tax. CGT.

Income tax, VAT, purchase taxes on property, wealth tax, inheritance tax,taxed on worldwide income...

You are 100% correct

It's taxes worldwide

Whether people pay them or are pursued for avoiding them may be different

The OP is very naive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Income tax, VAT, purchase taxes on property, wealth tax, inheritance tax,taxed on worldwide income...

You don't pay income tax on a pension, and if you work you pay income tax in Thailand as well

Vat is also in Thailand, though lower

Purchase tax on property, Thailand same same

Wealth tax, I don't know but my money is still in Europe and I'm not charged anything

It's the tax,stupid! Properly organised Thailand is one of the most tax efficient countries to live in (full time) for those whose wealth and income are based/sourced from, outside Thailand (not talking about UK pensioners here) . For those who wish to live legally ( and full time) Spain comes nowhere close ( from a tax perspective). It is the major reason, in my view, why Thailand is increasingly seen as an attractive home base for some seriously wealthy individuals. Obviously the country has other attractions as well which may appeal to those who find Monaco a little restrained!

Edited by wordchild

I may well go back to Spain. That's a personal choice. But, you need to be aware of the fiscal obligations you are walking into.

Spain, France, Portugal and Italy all tax you more than the UK. The Spanish govt say the asset declaration is not to tax people. Total BS. It gives them a shopping list of all your assets, and you can be 100% sure they will use this info to fill their coffers in the future. However, the cost of living is generally less than in the UK, which mitigates, to an extent, the extra tax you pay. Just remember, if you buy a property in Spain, you'll pay another 15% in stamp duty and fees! Also, if the revenue think the price you paid is lower than their 'official non-market value', they'll send you an extra bill for stamp duty. The fact the market has crashed is of no interest to them. One more negative. Spanish banks will rip you blind for transferring money out of the country.The moral of the story is this - be informed :)