Ice and ice buckets

amdy2206

I was having a discussion with friends and sure there is someone who can answer. Does ice last longer if you keep the water in the ice bucket, or is it better to pour the water away? As most restaurants make a large profit on ice, which is best for the consumer?

Keep the water; it is able to absorb heat much better than air (the water has a higher specific heat capacity) , thus keeping the remaining ice cubes frozen longer.

However, if you are so concerned about your ice expenditures, I would suggest that you avoid ordering any drinks at a restaurant. Save your thirst until you get home. Seriously, if you cannot afford 20-100 baht on ice, do you really think you should be going out to a restaurant?

Edited by Gumballl

And it is not necessary to be critical of questions people just ask out of interest. A reply is good, but advice from someone who does not know my situation is unwarranted and uncalled for.

Yeah, but it's funny heh. Buy yourself 2 ice buckets of equal size, 2 10 baht bags of ice, put ice in said buckets. One you keep water in, one you don't. Report back.

And it is not necessary to be critical of questions people just ask out of interest. A reply is good, but advice from someone who does not know my situation is unwarranted and uncalled for.

As most restaurants make a large profit on ice.

Have you ever been thinking about the cost they have to make to serve you with that ice:

rent, taxes, staff, electricity, water, .........

stop moaning about some responses you don't like if you don't see the big picture

Have you ever been thinking about the cost they have to make to serve you with that ice:

stop moaning about some responses you don't like if you don't see the big picture

I agree with the OP, he simply asked a question to which maybe he just wondered and he was discussing with a friend, don't think he deserves to be called a skin flint for merely asking a question to be fair.

I was not moaning, it was just a question out of interest. If you can't reply in that vein, don't bother to reply at all. Please don't reply about my situation, which is fine, but if you have something interesting to say, namely a logical answer, I would be interested to hear it. I don't mind if one or the other lasts longer but replies like I have received will stop me, and others, posing questions.

I was not moaning, it was just a question out of interest. If you can't reply in that vein, don't bother to reply at all. Please don't reply about my situation, which is fine, but if you have something interesting to say, namely a logical answer, I would be interested to hear it. I don't mind if one or the other lasts longer but replies like I have received will stop me, and others, posing questions.

Don't let it stop you posting mate... you learn on this forum that 99% of the users are good folk, but you always get the one clown.... as they say, if you dont ask you dont know... I have learnt to much information on here over the years, I would have been lost without it to be honest. Sure I have asked some dumb questions in the past but then again I try to also post information for others too on my experiences and I think that`s what its all about... ignore the numpty's!

Cheeers

Thank you Ryanhull. At least someone in this forum realises that some question are just out of interest and not posed for any other reason than that. Please can we all on on Thaivisa respect others without getting personal!!!!!!

Yup... thats it, everyone has different situations/lifes... I remember once I was asking what the Bangkok Bank Swift code is for my wife (so I could transfer some funds for my son)

One user said I had no right to ask for her swift code and it was the same as asking for her pin number and a whole bunch of other jibberish...by the way this code is open to all/public information... plus I needed it to transfer money into her account! I also got mocked for having a bank account with Natwest? things like that mate your best off just ignoring these numpty <deleted>... think they just are having a bad day and like to vent

Cheers

I think the op is getting some flak for no reason. If you're, say, stuck on a beach somewhere hot with and eski full of beer and nowhere to buy more ice...what to do....water out or in....which keeps the booze colder?......are you missing the bigger picture? Edited by coulson

I think the op is getting some flak for no reason. If you're, say, stuck on a beach somewhere hot with and eski full of beer and nowhere to buy more ice...what to do....water out or in....which keeps the booze colder?......are you missing the bigger picture?
he didn't say stuck on the beach, he said huge profits

I think the op is getting some flak for no reason. If you're, say, stuck on a beach somewhere hot with and eski full of beer and nowhere to buy more ice...what to do....water out or in....which keeps the booze colder?......are you missing the bigger picture?

He's getting flak because he seems to be serious about a subject that can and should only be discussed between friends while getting pissed. Drunks discussing this would be funny. A poster asking for advice in a serious matter is in itself laughable.

Don't let it stop you posting mate... you learn on this forum that 99% of the users are good folk, but you always get the one clown.... as they say, if you dont ask you dont know... I have learnt to much information on here over the years, I would have been lost without it to be honest. Sure I have asked some dumb questions in the past but then again I try to also post information for others too on my experiences and I think that`s what its all about... ignore the numpty's!

Cheeers

I Constantly tell my staff this: There is no thing as a stupid question. the only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

So keep on asking.

To Gumball: If you have nothing better to do than post useless demeaning garbage here, why don't you take up golf or something else usefull.

He's getting flak because he seems to be serious about a subject that can and should only be discussed between friends while getting pissed. Drunks discussing this would be funny. A poster asking for advice in a serious matter is in itself laughable.

Aren't laughable and funny the same thing?

Jeez....how to turn someting serious.

Pass the ice bucket.

he didn't say stuck on the beach, he said huge profits

Ok I'm sorry....carry on with the stoning!!!

It's precisely posts like yours that the OP is talking about: him "moaning" is you disingenuously putting words - or an attitude - into his mouth. This thread has come from an inquiring mind, your reply has come from a peanut packet, projected by peanut-sized thinking and trolling (and/or reading/comprehension skills).

Keep the water; it is able to absorb heat much better than air (the water has a higher specific heat capacity) , thus keeping the remaining ice cubes frozen longer.

However, if you are so concerned about your ice expenditures, I would suggest that you avoid ordering any drinks at a restaurant. Save your thirst until you get home. Seriously, if you cannot afford 20-100 baht on ice, do you really think you should be going out to a restaurant?

Air is a better insulator than water, and some heat leaks in from the walls of the container. This makes it better to have cold air in contact with ice than cold water.

Chuck excess water out as you go!

Found Interesting postings at:

https://m.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1e2lao/keeping_drinks_cold_in_a_cooler_when_the_ice/

(With very practical post:)

........>>>

chrisamillerCancer Genomics | Bioinformatics820d, 9h7

I did my 4th grade science project on this exact question! We bought two identical coolers, every 15 minutes, I opened them both up, took a temperature reading, then drained the water from the same one. To make a long story short, that cold water is your friend. The cooler with the water stays much colder for much longer. Don't ever drain the H20 unless you're planning to replace it with more ice.

Later in life, I'd learn all the details about specific heat and such, but the experiment without the theory was enough to get me to the city-wide science fair.

<<<<........

........>>>

I did my 4th grade science project on this exact question! We bought two identical coolers, every 15 minutes, I opened them both up, took a temperature reading, then drained the water from the same one. To make a long story short, that cold water is your friend. The cooler with the water stays much colder for much longer. Don't ever drain the H20 unless you're planning to replace it with more ice.

Later in life, I'd learn all the details about specific heat and such, but the experiment without the theory was enough to get me to the city-wide science fair.

<<<<........

The effect might vary depending of what kind of cooler it was. Also if there was cap on top, ambient temperature, humidity and wind.

If it was insulated cooler, then the could only escape with the cans, which are cooled and taken away.

Coolers in Thai-restaurants are typically a metal bucket without a cap on. Water conducts heat much more efficiently to the sides of the cooler, than ice and air. Then the cooled metal conducts heat to the humid and warm air.

I'm not 100% sure wether way would be better. Thus a test would be good idea to do. For the test, remember to fill the cooler with your favourite beer. After all, science is supposed to be fun.

Thanks everyone for your great replies and comments. It has been good following the discussion and I did not realise it would cause such interest in a simple question about a simple subject. So if I want my ice to last longer, wherever I am, I will leave the cold water. With regards to the negative and critical posts, I would just like to say "Please, unless you have something positive, or worthwhile to say, don't waste your time replying". Thank you.

Cheeers

I Constantly tell my staff this: There is no thing as a stupid question. the only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

So keep on asking.

To Gumball: If you have nothing better to do than post useless demeaning garbage here, why don't you take up golf or something else usefull.

I will endeavor to take up spelling.

Air is a better insulator than water, and some heat leaks in from the walls of the container. This makes it better to have cold air in contact with ice than cold water.

Chuck excess water out as you go!

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Why do you think that Eskimos (Inuit) build igloos out of ice? Why do you think it is better to bury oneself in snow, rather than be exposed to the elements (i.e. air) during a blizzard? Or to wear multiple layers of clothing when it is cold?

The air absorbs heat a lot faster than water. By insulating oneself from air, heat transfer is minimized.

Edited by Gumballl

Thanks everyone for your great replies and comments. It has been good following the discussion and I did not realise it would cause such interest in a simple question about a simple subject. So if I want my ice to last longer, wherever I am, I will leave the cold water. With regards to the negative and critical posts, I would just like to say "Please, unless you have something positive, or worthwhile to say, don't waste your time replying". Thank you.

glad you know how to save 2 satang

Yeah, but it's funny heh. Buy yourself 2 ice buckets of equal size, 2 10 baht bags of ice, put ice in said buckets. One you keep water in, one you don't. Report back.

More rare than diamonds! COMMON SENSE.