Video: Car Drives Into Moat by RAM Hospital.

mesquite

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The driver could have plowed into a motorbike or pedestrian instead of going into the moat.

From where he started, it was very difficult to end up in the moat. Quite strange.

Yes. It appears to me that the driver hit the gas instead of the brake.

I've noticed that his is a recurring cause of accidents. The woman driving through the front door of the 7-11 comes to mind.

So here's a question about what we (from different countries) might have been taught during our driver education lessons.

• Do you now (or were you taught) to use one foot for the accelerator, and the other for the brake?
  • Or, do you use the same foot for the accelerator and the brake?

I was taught to use only one foot, thereby eliminating the possible confusion of which pedal to bear down on. It seems to me that this would be the safer method.

Taking note of Thai drivers with whom I've ridden, however, I've found that both feet are typically used.

And I've heard that if one is in competition race car events, both feet are used, but those guys and gals are quick and skillful in body and mind.

Comments?

I've noticed that his is a recurring cause of accidents. The woman driving through the front door of the 7-11 comes to mind.

So here's a question about what we (from different countries) might have been taught during our driver education lessons.

• Do you now (or were you taught) to use one foot for the accelerator, and the other for the brake?

I was taught to use only one foot, thereby eliminating the possible confusion of which pedal to bear down on. It seems to me that this would be the safer method.

Taking note of Thai drivers with whom I've ridden, however, I've found that both feet are typically used.

And I've heard that if one is in competition race car events, both feet are used, but those guys and gals are quick and skillful in body and mind.

Comments?

I was taught to drive a stick shift which requires using the left foot for the clutch, so using one foot for the accelerator and brake is necessary. We were all taught one foot for both accelerator and brake in the US. I have never hit the gas when going for the brake. Never in 45 years of driving.

The Thais can drive motorbikes, but cars are a different story. They just don't drive well.

Edited by mesquite

One drove off the 5th floor of a car park and died a few months ago, stated cause was that a water bottle got itself lodged under the brake but over the accelerator.

Whether true or not that's what the official investigation declared.

Comments?

My father thaught me the "heel and toe downshift". Long time ago.

However, he did think to turn on the rear window wiper.

Priceless.

Try and reverse out of a moat without one mate.

I once saw a mate in a moat,

who fancied his car a boat,

he drove it in fast, but the floating did not last,

so I shouted goodbye to the ass

OK. for once lets be honest. Thai people stupidest thickest idiot drivers I have ever experienced anywhere in the world, and believe me, I have travelled a lot, all continents including Africa and I have never seen the kind of no brain stupidity you see every day here. Deaths on Thai roads almost the worst in the whole world apart from some small nondescript caribbean island. No excuses, the drivers here are just plain dumb, no education, no sense, and dont even seem to care or draw conclusions.

Even Lewis Hamilton would need all his skills to drive a car into the moat in Chiang Mai which is always a 90 degree turn from the way the road is pointed !!

We drove past yesterday about 30 minutes after the incident. There were so many people looking that the traffic was at a standstill. I believe the driver was a Uni student and at the time was in shock and could not verbalize what happened at all. Apparently he wasn't able to open the door/window once the car was in the moat.

OK. for once lets be honest. Thai people stupidest thickest idiot drivers I have ever experienced anywhere in the world, and believe me, I have travelled a lot, all continents including Africa and I have never seen the kind of no brain stupidity you see every day here. Deaths on Thai roads almost the worst in the whole world apart from some small nondescript caribbean island. No excuses, the drivers here are just plain dumb, no education, no sense, and dont even seem to care or draw conclusions.

Even Lewis Hamilton would need all his skills to drive a car into the moat in Chiang Mai which is always a 90 degree turn from the way the road is pointed !!

The way any given road in Thailand is pointed, has absolutely no bearing on which direction a Thai may choose to drive.

Lord, the stories I could tell about my brother-in-law ….

Before the invention of the 'cruise control' long distance drivers in USA often installed left foot accelerator pedals, of course in addition to the normal, right foot gas pedal. Kept the feet from going numb over 8 hours between stops.

But, on the 7 story inner city car park, the attendant thought the left foot pedal was the brake. Poor chap flew over the edge from the top of the building.

I touch the brake and accelerator at the same time sometimes. When I'm between CM and CR or driving highway 1 I'm often tailgated by Toyota Vigos or Fortuners. If they get too close or flash their lights, I keep the pressure on the accelerator but lightly touch the brake with my left foot. The brake lights go on and the w anchor behind me has a heart attack. I feel better but it doesn't usually solve the problem. sad.png

Edited by Loaded

I was driving around the moat late Saturday morning and the traffic was even more horrendous than usual, and then I saw a car being pulled out of it, causing people to slow down and stare (fair enough- you don't see that everyday)- it was near the bank, though, and almost out of the water entirely by the time I passed by- I had no idea it had made it that far out.

Having investigated a little further ( with my partner ) I am reliably informed that most Thais drive automatic vehicles using both feet, one on the brake and one on the accelerator. Presumably this accounts for why they mostly cant drive gearstick vehicles and also why there is often little or no control shown, as in this accident for example.

I remember the very first time I drove an automatic car, a rental vehicle on holiday in USA, the guy who gave me the ( very simple ) instruction told me in answer to my rather stupid question as to what do I do with my other foot, he said you can stick it out of the window if you like but under no circumstances use it on the two pedals both of which operate with the same foot!

Is it too obvious a point to explain that you only need one foot because when youre braking youre not accelerating......or is that a bit too complicated to get across here???!!!

My Wife's friend had a brand new car and was so happy to be able to offer me a ride.............When she was ready to back out from our long driveway she looked in the rear view mirror, took a deep breath and punched it. Right out into traffic. T 'd right into another new car, same make and color with what appeared to be her clone driving... ..........

Edited by NickJ

I touch the brake and accelerator at the same time sometimes. When I'm between CM and CR or driving highway 1 I'm often tailgated by Toyota Vigos or Fortuners. If they get too close or flash their lights, I keep the pressure on the accelerator but lightly touch the brake with my left foot. The brake lights go on and the w anchor behind me has a heart attack. I feel better but it doesn't usually solve the problem. sad.png

I agree with this action... almost all the Vigos, Fortuners and Venga Buses use that road as a race track. You could be driving at 120kmph and they will still creep up your rear end and flash their headlights. Touching the brake pedal really gives them a shock.

They tend to back off for a little while as their balls slide back down their throat..... then its game on. Either they take very dangerous risks or you let these idiots go. I prefer the latter as I dont want to get tied up in possible collateral damage.

Back to the OP....great video. Amazing how some people drive like that.