Video: Car Drives Into Moat by RAM Hospital.

mesquite

Thai news stating the driver was a student at a local university. He declined to explain his actions and did not want to speak to the police.

He must have learned that from that actress who killed the cop sleeping in his parked car!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. for once lets be honest. Thai people stupidest thickest idiot drivers I have ever experienced anywhere in the world, and believe me, I have travelled a lot, all continents including Africa and I have never seen the kind of no brain stupidity you see every day here. Deaths on Thai roads almost the worst in the whole world apart from some small nondescript caribbean island. No excuses, the drivers here are just plain dumb, no education, no sense, and dont even seem to care or draw conclusions.

Even Lewis Hamilton would need all his skills to drive a car into the moat in Chiang Mai which is always a 90 degree turn from the way the road is pointed !!

Your statement is probably true from your point of view but is only valid if you never experienced traffic in India, China, Pakistan....much much worse!

I touch the brake and accelerator at the same time sometimes. When I'm between CM and CR or driving highway 1 I'm often tailgated by Toyota Vigos or Fortuners. If they get too close or flash their lights, I keep the pressure on the accelerator but lightly touch the brake with my left foot. The brake lights go on and the w anchor behind me has a heart attack. I feel better but it doesn't usually solve the problem. sad.png

When I'm being tailgated I just gradually slow my car and force the driver behind to slow too. They mightn't like it but they get the message.

Gas instead of break really doesn't make sense here.. If that happens, it's a quick fix.. Also, why weren't they at least driving the direction of the road.. I always say that when you look at a car crash, it will usually be difficult to explain it rationally.. Here, we have the video of what happened, and it is still mind boggling. I say the driver was extremely drunk.

Was a Thai man wife saw this yesterday on phone

One guy looks like a patch on his t-shirt but can't make it out. Another one appears to have jumped in from the other side of the moat and seems to have an empty plastic jug as a floatation device.

post-566-0-66050100-1439175728_thumb.jpg

Was a Thai man wife saw this yesterday on phone

One guy looks like a patch on his t-shirt but can't make it out. Another one appears to have jumped in from the other side of the moat and seems to have an empty plastic jug as a floatation device.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Rather courageous and heroic of these guys. They basically saved this kids life. Not much of this being discussed by the TV haters on this thread.

I think most are more commenting on the driving.. but ya, the guy who risked his life by going into that dangerous current deserves a medal of honor.

But then again, if he just did nothing like all of the rest that drove by so they didn't miss their soap, it would be dismissed as 'cultural'.

OK. for once lets be honest. Thai people stupidest thickest idiot drivers I have ever experienced anywhere in the world, and believe me, I have travelled a lot, all continents including Africa and I have never seen the kind of no brain stupidity you see every day here. Deaths on Thai roads almost the worst in the whole world apart from some small nondescript caribbean island. No excuses, the drivers here are just plain dumb, no education, no sense, and dont even seem to care or draw conclusions.

Even Lewis Hamilton would need all his skills to drive a car into the moat in Chiang Mai which is always a 90 degree turn from the way the road is pointed !!

I've seen other videos that show a more common scenario, where a car is going along the moat and is broad-sided towards the rear-end by a car doing a U-turn without looking. This pushes the rear end away from moat, spinning the car 90 degrees so the front now points directly towards the drink. And in it goes.

EDIT: Oh, and to the other person who felt the need to add some unwarranted anti-Chinese hate: #$I&* you!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I touch the brake and accelerator at the same time sometimes. When I'm between CM and CR or driving highway 1 I'm often tailgated by Toyota Vigos or Fortuners. If they get too close or flash their lights, I keep the pressure on the accelerator but lightly touch the brake with my left foot. The brake lights go on and the w anchor behind me has a heart attack. I feel better but it doesn't usually solve the problem. sad.png

With all due respect, this is a move that might get you killed some unlucky day.

I have seen four cars getting hoisted out of the moat in the six years I've lived here. I always wondered how they got in there. The curb is quite high, so they would almost have to had hit it front on, as this poor kid did.

Strange video. It seems clear this young man is quite an inexperienced driver. Lucky for him some very brave souls were willing to risk their lives to rescue him.

a couple years ago when we bought our new Honda automatic I explained to the wife how to use one foot for both gas and brake, she had a problem with that idea but I insisted (previous car was a standard). Luckily the Honda sales person also insisted that she learn to drive properly (using one foot) before leaving the car lot. That settled it, she spent the next 15 minutes circling the parking lot practising. Cudos to the Honda sales girl.

Doug

What continually infuriates and amazes me at the same time is the way they speed up (particularly motorcyclists) when there is a potential hazard ahead.i.e. when other vehicles are slowing down you always get a number of clowns who race through a gap when they don't even have a clue why the traffic is slowing downblink.png

When I applied for a Thai drivers license and took the obligatory reaction tests with other Thai applicants it was clearfrom the number who failed that they have dreadful reaction times. So speeding up in an area of a potential hazard together with this handicap must be a recipe for disaster.facepalm.gif

Break the window, right?

Looking at the video it appears the sohng tao (red truck) driver ran back to grab something from his truck. My guess it was something that could be used to break the glass if necessary.

If a car is fully submerged my understanding is to lower/break the window to allow the car to fill with water as the water pressure would be too great to open the door.

The rear windshield-wiper is still going even after the car was mostly submerged- he likely still had control over the window.

Aren'y wipers are automatic nowadays - work when window wet.

I don't think he had control over anything thumbsup.gif

Edited by MESmith

Deserved recognition. thumbsup.gif

Heroic Bystander Awarded for Rescuing Motorist from Moat Water

August 14, 2015

CityNews – August 11th, Dr Paritas Silpakit, director of Suan Prung Psychiatric Hospital, presented a commemorative certificate to 34-year-old Teerawat Wansom, a bystander who rescued a motorist on August 8th.

More here - Chiang Mai City Life

Original story here - Bystander Rescues Motorist from Sinking Vehicle

post-566-0-49350200-1439614305_thumb.jpg