Comedone Ripoff at BPH

texanaust

I took my daughter to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital to see an ENT to remove a Comedone in her ear. A comedone is essentially a blackhead and was already diagnosed by a doctor in the USA, but I did not have time to organize a visit to an ENT before we returned to Thailand.

The doctor in question took a grand total of two minutes with us and had to ask me where in her ear it was. After point out the obvious, we were sent back to the waiting room. The nurse came over several minutes later and said it would be 16,000 baht plus medicines/anesthetic. Now I am pretty sure a Doctor in the USA would not charge $500 to remove this, so we wasted $30 and decided to try somewhere else. Any recommendations? Thanks.

For comedone extraction, I don't think you need an ENT but rather a dermatologist. (I suspect that part of what was going on with the ENT you saw is that he had no idea how to extract a blackhead and was instead planning a surgical excision of the area).

Dr. Anna at BPH is an excelent dermatologist good but as you may be understandably reluctant to return to BPH (and the problem is a very simple one), I suggest you try one of the dermatologists at Pattaya Memorial hospital or Pattaya International Hospital. Pattaya Memorial is usually the less expensive of the two. Schedule as below for their derm clinic:

SUNDAY 10.30 am - 03.00 pm WATTANA KLINTRAKOON, MD. MONDAY 10.30 am - 03.00 pm WATTANA KLINTRAKOON, MD. WEDNESDAY 09.00 am - 12.00 pm JANKAMOL PATTARANGSEE, MD.

Thank you for the suggestions. The dermatologist in the USA suggested an ENT because it was in the ear, but she was very inexperienced and seems more interested in selling cosmetic procedures. I have used Dr. Anna for myself and she is good. Your interpretation of what happened at the ENT seems very plausible. The comedone itself is quite accessible and visible which is why I questioned the need for an ENT rather than a dermatologist at the time.

Archived