Do you think Netflix would be a big hit in S.E Asia?

davidst01

Netflix is about to enter the Japanese market.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysomaney/2015/08/08/can-netflix-really-double-or-more-from-here/3/

it says ''There is also school of thought that Asian people watch mainly Asian movies/tv/entertainment shows thus limiting the people in Asia that would want or need Netflix programming. Nothing could be further from the truth. ''

Where I live in LOS only a minority speak English and my wifi connection is close to being dial up speed.

I hope that millions more people in Asia take up subs in S.E Asia so that the price of the stock goes up and then I make more money. Apart from this what are your thoughts about Netflix?

cheers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit that I have close to no idea what Netflix offers.

Does someone honestly think that they could make points with US sitcoms (such intellectual content biggrin.png ) or the like?

Competing with the established brain dead soap opera megaindustry?

In English language or what?

If so: cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

The Internet infrastructure here in Thailand is not strong enough to support Netflix. South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and maybe Taiwan, yes, but not LOS

BS.

I have no issues watching Netflix through a VPN (either from Europe or the US). I imagine it'll work just fine without the VPS as well, especially if the servers are located in Thailand. Furthermore, the infrastructure is good enough to support HD ipTV, so Netflix will do just fine as well.

The infrastructure is more than fine.

The concept may be a few years away from serious up-take.

The reasons are multiple: fragmented markets, differing regulatory bodies, multiple languages (dubbing vs. subs), aggregated content, IP/piracy, increasing dissatisfaction with legacy providers, competition from similar start-ups.

Of course the concept will eventually take off.

Cant remember the names but believe there are already some local startups preparing to enter the market.

Netflix themselves may struggle with thai language and culture but someone will make it work....demand certainly with expats, tourists a little. Thais like a lot of the content but most not used to paying full price for content! Copyright tollerence will scare some rights holders...

Ad supported free entry level could pull it off here.

Guys, your infrastructure is a very loose description

We have fibre with almost zero ping times and people who can't even open an email is so slow

The speed are subjective, and relative etc depending on more factor than we could list...

If you already have bandwidth and can stream TV etc, even by adsl you will be able to do it fine, if your in the sticks and can barely open an Email on stuttering 2g you should probably not order a Netflix subscription...

I think Thailand is ready to introduce HD TV over the net , just not all of it unfortunately so if your in the stix I would ask them to prove it works first before paying for a year or whatever ...

Infrastructure is NOT the problem.

Content would have to be streamed from Thailand or Singapore as many IPTV offerings for expats are.

ToT has IPTV offers for long time bundled with fibre optic internet (Thai only).

Its 50 Baht per month added to the base price.

The problem is the content competing with the esptablished free TV offers.

And Thais are not willing to pay for TV (or 50 Baht per month?).

I doubt this will be big business.

I'd never subscribe to any of these services, but then I'm the Cheap Charlie who saves the rubber bands my pad seeiew comes secured with.

In the U.S., Netflix is $7.99, the average cable tv bill is more than ten times that amount.

You can even binge-watch "Hoarders" on Netflix.

I'm am using the ProxMate Chrome Browser extension to watch Netflix while I am currently in the Philippines and Netflix works great. I find that the internet infrastructure is worse here than in Thailand. It also depends on what Netflix Asia will offer compared to content in the USA for example. Some content may not be available outside of the USA due to legal agreements with the Studios and other content providers.

Infrastructure is NOT the problem.

Content would have to be streamed from Thailand or Singapore as many IPTV offerings for expats are.

ToT has IPTV offers for long time bundled with fibre optic internet (Thai only).

Its 50 Baht per month added to the base price.

The problem is the content competing with the esptablished free TV offers.

And Thais are not willing to pay for TV (or 50 Baht per month?).

I doubt this will be big business.

NOT Thai only; we have TOT IPTV with tons of English changes (Fox, Fox News, Kix, Star World, Universal, Nat GEO Wild, Nat GEO People and more).

In a culture where piracy and fakes are the norm, why would anybody put their hand in their pocket to pay for something that's available for free?

In my case, ease of use. I could download much of what I watch from Netflix for free, but it's worth paying their low monthly fees to have it all collated in one place with instant access and a simple, convenient interface that makes it easy to find something to watch next.

As others have said, Thai infrastructure is not a problem. I use Netflix here in Phuket without VPN, and there are no speed issues.

The only requirement for me is that I have to use a US-based DNS server (setup in my router) because Netflix on the ROKU box I use checks your location based upon the location of your DNS server.

Netflix has over 62 million subscribers worldwide.

Yes, and ~ 20 million are "international", which includes Canada, U.K., so mostly in 'mature' TV, entertainment, internet markets

Netflix has been lax re: use of VPNs (required for out-of-region use) up until now.

TrueVisions has ~ 1 million PAID subscribers (~ 2.5 million total with their "free" customers), so the potential market here is both small, and far from maturing.

Broadband providers here do also offer free and paid, steaming TV services.

Netflix original programming is relatively narrow-cast; I like BoJack Horseman, but not sure how well received or even understood a show like that would be here?

In a culture where piracy and fakes are the norm, why would anybody put their hand in their pocket to pay for something that's available for free?

In my case, ease of use. I could download much of what I watch from Netflix for free, but it's worth paying their low monthly fees to have it all collated in one place with instant access and a simple, convenient interface that makes it easy to find something to watch next.

I totally agree, SoiBiker. For $8.07 a month, deducted from my American bank account, it is great. I use VPN and TRUE 15 mbps service, with HDMI cable from my computer to my big screen TV. The quality is just as good as it was in America. coffee1.gif

Have to agree that enjoy Netflix... Currently using via US service but would buy it here if comparable service and price was available

There are a couple of streaming services available in Thailand

HDTV actually sells the prepaid 1 month cards in Family Mart and 7-11 and Tesco express

They seem to be focused more on Movies than series

If they had a lot more series as well, and had app on the Apple TV would consider switching from Netflix, but they are not quite there yet

http://www.hollywood-hdtv.com/index-th.html

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/primetime-tv.htm

With Kodi and the like why? Are the Japanese that stupid? Unless there is something I'm missing. wai.gif

Netflix has over 62 million subscribers worldwide. So yes, I think you're missing something.

How many tv's are there in the world? The 62 million are mostly in the US and the take up in the rest of the world are minute. There are so many better country specific alternatives to Netflix and the other options provide a wider range of programs. Why would the average Japanese, Korean, Chinese or Thai prefer Netflix over their own homegrown options?

Will the locals pay a subscription to watch American

television garbage? No ghosts, no guns shooting,

blood everywhere, no wife beating, no beautiful

women that would leave any yankee actress to

tears, go to any Issan market, you can buy any DVD

of the latest anything dirt cheap, time will tell though.