Do you think Netflix would be a big hit in S.E Asia?

davidst01

Will the locals pay a subscription to watch American

television garbage? No ghosts, no guns shooting,

blood everywhere, no wife beating, no beautiful

women that would leave any yankee actress to

tears, go to any Issan market, you can buy any DVD

of the latest anything dirt cheap, time will tell though.

You missed the endless rape scenes, midgets and shrieking katoeys, the boyfriend in a coma, the cruel mother, the fat "comic" (often gay) figure. Oh, the stereotypes on Thai TV are endless. I guess by sticking to stereotypes it means the audience has to think even less.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned my computer into an android box and set the big screen as my second monitor. Don't Thais know about android boxes and computers and stuff? Why would anyone need netflix?

Why would you run Android on a computer just to watch tv?

Don't you know about computers and stuff?

I turned my computer into an android box and set the big screen as my second monitor. Don't Thais know about android boxes and computers and stuff? Why would anyone need netflix?

Why would you run Android on a computer just to watch tv?

Don't you know about computers and stuff?

Popcorn, I like HD, TVMC, Kodi, Genesis, Nav X, SALTS and about a thousand more duh uh.

You don't need Android to use them. You've done things in a really convoluted way because you don't really understand what you're doing.

Duh.

Android box. It's a figure of speech. A box is the easy way to make your dumb TV smart.

A figure of speech? Hilarious.

I know you like to bait people because you think you are special but try someone else. There are millions of android boxes sold around the world including Thailand. I am wondering when a poster not stalking me or trying to bait me has an opinion on why a person who has access to an android box or computer configured to act as part of an entertainment center for movies and games and all the other things an android notebook/box is capable of would want netflix?

I know you like to bait people because you think you are special but try someone else. There are millions of android boxes sold around the world including Thailand. I am wondering when a poster not stalking me or trying to bait me has an opinion on why a person who has access to an android box or computer configured to act as part of an entertainment center for movies and games and all the other things an android notebook/box is capable of would want netflix?

That point has already been addressed. Nobody is trying to 'bait' you. Calm down and read the thread.

That point has already been addressed. Nobody is trying to 'bait' you. Calm down and read the thread.

Netflix is outdated and made obsolete by many of the addon applications now available by people using an android box or a computer configured as part of an entertainment system. It has not been discussed before. Stop trolling and trying to start an argument. Stop with the flaming comments like, "calm down and read the thread."

Netflix is outdated and made obsolete by many of the addon applications now available by people using an android box or a computer configured as part of an entertainment system.-----lostoday

I would have to agree with lostoday.....Netflix, or any of the other companies that advertise on here (usually for UK programs) that can be obtain by just using a UK proxy at a quarter of the price. Things may well change , but at the moment I watch all the TV (with in hours of it being released) football / boxing / movies....... for free.

Netflix is outdated and made obsolete by many of the addon applications now available by people using an android box or a computer configured as part of an entertainment system.-----lostoday

I would have to agree with lostoday.....Netflix, or any of the other companies that advertise on here (usually for UK programs) that can be obtain by just using a UK proxy at a quarter of the price. Things may well change , but at the moment I watch all the TV (with in hours of it being released) football / boxing / movies....... for free.

Are we the only ones? Is everybody else (in Thailand) as clueless as the folks on here who still pay for Netflix?

Are we the only ones? Is everybody else (in Thailand) as clueless as the folks on here who still pay for Netflix?

Yes there are free options and have used some of those options in the past, but prefer Netflix

Has the app on Apple TV and remote... Much more user friendly than via computer and then linking computer to TV

Then also has all seasons of the shows available and no need to download

For me... Well worth USD 7.99 per month

Yes there are free options and have used some of those options in the past, but prefer Netflix

Has the app on Apple TV and remote... Much more user friendly than via computer and then linking computer to TV

Then also has all seasons of the shows available and no need to download

For me... Well worth USD 7.99 per month

I believe TVMC has stopped supporting Apple (not sure but I think I read that) I just finished watching a couple episodes of House MD season 8. In my experience all shows and all seasons are available now for free. I don't download anything I watch it in real time. I could download but why?

Cant remember the names but believe there are already some local startups preparing to enter the market.

Netflix themselves may struggle with thai language and culture but someone will make it work....demand certainly with expats, tourists a little. Thais like a lot of the content but most not used to paying full price for content! Copyright tollerence will scare some rights holders...

Ad supported free entry level could pull it off here.

Full price? It's $8 USD/280 baht a month.

Has some great shows on it.

Sure it would; but maybe 40% of American and European films would not be allowed in Thailand. When I first moved here, I tried to sign up with Netflix download service and was told Thailand does not allow any subscriptions.

Maybe in 20 years.

Sure it would; but maybe 40% of American and European films would not be allowed in Thailand. When I first moved here, I tried to sign up with Netflix download service and was told Thailand does not allow any subscriptions.

Maybe in 20 years.

You realise Netflix varies its output depending in what country you're in (or pretend to be in), right?

Presumably if they launched in Thailand they would tailor their programming accordingly.

The Internet infrastructure here in Thailand is not strong enough to support Netflix. South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and maybe Taiwan, yes, but not LOS

BS.

I have no issues watching Netflix through a VPN (either from Europe or the US). I imagine it'll work just fine without the VPS as well, especially if the servers are located in Thailand. Furthermore, the infrastructure is good enough to support HD ipTV, so Netflix will do just fine as well.

A couple of months ago I used a VPN server out of Singapore and was able to excess Netflix from the UK. I was able to get the TV show "The Big Bang Theory" which is not available on Netflix in the US.

Edited by Thaigreg

The Big Bang Theory isn't on UK Netflix.

If you use a VPN which lets you swap servers - or better still, a smart DNS service that lets you set your location to different countries - you can access all sorts of different stuff on Netflix. There's a useful website that tells you what's available where here - http://www.filmefy.com/

Thanks for the info.

• 5 weeks later...

If Internet service providers provide enough bandwidth capacity that will allow users to watch movies online. If so, I think entry of Netflix company to the Asian TV shows market, will be a big impact. Of course, if the prices for the month of use will be cheap enough. But the prices in America and Europe show us that price for Netflix services isn't only the conversion of currency exchange rates between dollar and euro. But it's adaptation to the average financial situation in the country. If the price will be around several $ per month, then I think that Netflix will find many new customers here in Asia.

I'd never subscribe to any of these services, but then I'm the Cheap Charlie who saves the rubber bands my pad seeiew comes secured with.

In the U.S., Netflix is $7.99, the average cable tv bill is more than ten times that amount.

You can even binge-watch "Hoarders" on Netflix.

You forgot to add the cost of your net subscription I'm sure it then would cost more than cable subscription.

If Internet service providers provide enough bandwidth capacity that will allow users to watch movies online. If so, I think entry of Netflix company to the Asian TV shows market, will be a big impact. Of course, if the prices for the month of use will be cheap enough. But the prices in America and Europe show us that price for Netflix services isn't only the conversion of currency exchange rates between dollar and euro. But it's adaptation to the average financial situation in the country. If the price will be around several $ per month, then I think that Netflix will find many new customers here in Asia.

Why pay for stuff you get for free now?

Why pay for stuff you get for free now?

free ?

Are you talking about torrents?

If so, then the reality is that at some point, I am sure these sites will be blocked in Thailand... Similar as they are in the western world...

Maybe next year, maybe in five years? I don't know.. But will happen eventually

I don't have any problem paying for a legal alternative .. Especially if it is more convenient

Netflix is far more convenient than Torrents.. No need for searching and downloading torrents

No waiting for downloading

Also using via Apple TV.. Just sit on the couch ... Watch on TV and use the remote... No need to mess with a computer

Also app on phone/ iPad

Netflix also pays attention to the shows you watch and learns your preferences and then recommends other shows that it thinks you will like

This is a great option, as Netflix has so many shows, no way to know them all...

And the cost is way less than cable...in U.S. Market.. Only 7.99 per month

Any service that shows up the cable companies for what they are…..a bunch of fkin crooks……is ok by me.

Having said that, consumers in asia are very demanding when it comes to entertainment….one of netflix's strengths to me was the creation of original content…house of cards and orange is the new black…..wonder if/how they can translate this strategy to asia.