No ban for 'No Escape', movie depicting coup filmed in Thailand

webfact

No Ban For 'No Escape,' Movie Depicting Coup Filmed In Thailand
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — An upcoming Hollywood movie about a military coup in a fictional Southeast Asian nation – filmed in Thailand – has been approved by censors to open later this month.

Despite online rumors today that “No Escape” had been banned by the The National Film and Video Censors Board, a member told Khaosod English such reports were false, as the movie was approved for audiences 15 and up on 28 July.

“It is not banned or prevented from being screened in Thailand. It’s just a normal action film,” said the official, who asked not to be identified by name, citing ministerial regulations.

In late 2013, actors Owen Wilson and Pierce Brosnan filmed the movie - then called "The Coup" - in northern Thailand. The movie is about a fictional Southeast Asian nation where the military overthrows civilian rule to stage a coup. Not long after Thailand's nonfictional coup took place, the film's name was changed to "No Escape."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1439203313

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-10

I think this is very smart of them. Downplay the movie as nothing more than an action flick. Any ban will only result in more views.

I also think that the Thai government wants to remind the people about the chaos which it creates when he government is destabilized lol.

Why would it be banned? From the trailer this isn't even remotely like what happened in Thailand.

Watch the first 5 or 6 episodes of a British show called "Strike Back", season 5 this year. It's very good and interesting. These episodes all take place in Thailand. I love how much money he gives the guy on the boat to use his phone...a fortune.

Edited by oneday

Why would it be banned? From the trailer this isn't even remotely like what happened in Thailand.

Watch the first 5 or 6 episodes of a British show called "Strike Back", season 5 this year. It's very good and interesting. These episodes all take place in Thailand. I love how much money he gives the guy on the boat to use his phone...a fortune.

Maybe it's more representative of the future than the past.

This film is based on the coup in Vietnam in 1963.

Thai coups are too lame to base a film on, except maybe for the Manhattan Rebellion in 1951.

Looks like you've never heard of the Thammasat Massacre then... back to studies, my friend!

Edited by Blitzkrieg Bob

Thai coups are too lame to base a film on, except maybe for the Manhattan Rebellion in 1951.

Probably right. Thai coups are pretty lame.

On the movies trailer the cops have Thai writing on their riot shields though.

Wrong! It's Khmer and upside down.

Stop, Think and Act! It helps!

I noticed that in the trailer and thus thought it was about a fictional coup in Cambodia during the 60s-70s. If it's supposed to be about Vietnam, they really got sloppy--was it shot in Cambodia?

I noticed that in the trailer and thus thought it was about a fictional coup in Cambodia during the 60s-70s. If it's supposed to be about Vietnam, they really got sloppy--was it shot in Cambodia?

No, it was shot in Thailand.

Then why is there Burmese script on the police riot shields and I don't think Vietnamese wear the longyi?.

One goof I noticed was a True satellite dish on a building......in 1963.

Might be a good movie with Brosnan in it.

Edited by ratcatcher

Then why is there Burmese script on the police riot shields and I don't think Vietnamese wear the longyi?.

Well spotted! Yeah, the movie will be really good, but not sure if it helps to bring more tourists to Thailand...? Good thing is that people forget easily.

Well spotted! Yeah, the movie will be really good, but not sure if it helps to bring more tourists to Thailand...? Good thing is that people forget easily.

I was wrong. Not Burmese at all. Blitzkrieg Bob is correct, inverted Khmer script.thumbsup.gif

Looks like you've never heard of the Thammasat Massacre then... back to studies, my friend!

While dramatic it was not a coup.

• 3 weeks later...