Before marriage

robbb1

Personally, I did not pay and we had a quiet ceremony 250 kms from the family. However, I've been (willingly) paying since for the past 14 years.

I feel that paying by installments has suited me better as others who paid before marriage are still paying years later --- in one way or another.

As with any of these financial issues in Isaan, do what is best for yourself and your other half. What suits some does not necessarily suit others.

Whichever route you eventually take should be your decision and yours alone.

I thought sin sod only was paid once, Anyway, we bought a car , but then she wanted to do "before marriage" before we bought it, put the money on a plate and invite some ppl for food. I guess its like engage, Cuz her mom bought 2 gold rings for us.

I understand how the marriage works in isaan. Just never heard of to do before marriage

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by robbb1

This topic has been done to death on this forum. Just type in 'sin sod' into the site search facility - then if you've got 12 hours to spare you can read all about it.

Very true and second only to " how do I import my (fill in the gaps) into Thailand

This topic has been done to death on this forum. Just type in 'sin sod' into the site search facility - then if you've got 12 hours to spare you can read all about it.

my question ain't about sin sod

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Personally, I did not pay and we had a quiet ceremony 250 kms from the family. However, I've been (willingly) paying since for the past 14 years.

I feel that paying by installments has suited me better as others who paid before marriage are still paying years later --- in one way or another.

As with any of these financial issues in Isaan, do what is best for yourself and your other half. What suits some does not necessarily suit others.

Now that is an intelligent idea, although I'm sure that many families would prefer a lump sum. Gives you the upper hand, any sick buffalo stuff and you're off the list.

I consider Sin Sod should NOT be payable in order to marry a previously married woman with children .

I bought my wife some gold when we were courting , but I never paid any Sin Sod , nor was I asked to , the subject never came up .

One day we went to a neighbouring Amphur office and asked to be married , an hour or so later we came out with two marriage certificates .

We had no witnesses and we didn't tell anybody in either family till a couple of days later , we didn't have a party or any form of celebration .

I don't mind being married , but simply hate weddings . I have since felt a little bit mean , that my wife would have liked to have had a wedding and worn a white wedding dress .

I spent a lot of money rebuilding and modernising her delapidated house ; I think the family thought I had done enough .

My wife paid BT70,000 Sin Sod when her son got married at 18yrs , before I came on the scene .

He left that girl after 18 months and eventually started living with another girl . My wife asked me if she could give BT50,000 of money I had given her .

I said NO , he is already married . Grandfather said No Sin Sod when a couple are living together .

That relationship didn't last , he met another girl in Bangkok , my wife said NO Sin Sod from us ; the couple married in a very small family ceremony and raised BT20,000 themselves .

Personally, in thirty years here, I'd never heard of this sin sot before these endless discussions here. Perhaps I'm deaf.

Or never gone to a wedding. What do you think all that cash that is sitting on a tray us for? I think by before wedding is what some people call the engagement party, that is usually when the sinsod is given. It sounds like the poster us going to buy a car and his gf figured we will have an engagement party (before wedding) and display all the money we are going to pay for the car. That way she gains some face, and then you buy the car.

I paid $B200,000 and 4 Baht of gold in sinsod on the day of the wedding. It was given to my wife's grandmother (her parents are dead). At the end of the ceremony, her grandmother returned the money and gold to my wife in an envelope. My wife gave it to me. I gave the gold back to my wife, and banked the cash. Simple, and all done for face

Always uplifting to read a normal post.

I paid $B200,000 and 4 Baht of gold in sinsod on the day of the wedding. It was given to my wife's grandmother (her parents are dead). At the end of the ceremony, her grandmother returned the money and gold to my wife in an envelope. My wife gave it to me. I gave the gold back to my wife, and banked the cash. Simple, and all done for face

The is the wisest comment on this forum. Well done, and lets hope others follow and learn from you.

OP, read, learn, observe and follow those who are wise on here.

The OP mentions sin sot in his post. Sin sot is the most important part of the marriage arrangements.

it is ? what about love ,trust,sharing ,ehhhh.... oh , you do as you are told to do , is that about right ?

I think you mean the engagement 'contract' or หมั้น(mun) in Thai. I'm surprised nobody has heard of this. Usually a baht of gold or so is enough. Mind you that was only 6000 baht when I got married and is now about 20,000

The OP mentions sin sot in his post. Sin sot is the most important part of the marriage arrangements.

it is ? what about love ,trust,sharing ,ehhhh.... oh , you do as you are told to do , is that about right ?

Love? Trust? Sharing? Get back to us after you've been gutted. ;)

In my case last month, it was 100,000 baht and maybe 2 (?) baht of gold. Both the money and the gold were returned afterwards. This was at my sister-in-law's house in Ban Chang. There was a part at night in a hall behind the ampeur building in Ban Chang.

Alan

post-927-0-81952400-1439345113_thumb.jpg