How to read tire wear

ProAuto

Yes IO know that Dellboy but Kaptainrob said the tyre manufactures have their own recommended pressure, I was asking where that info is found.

Many manufacturers list the recommended tyre pressure in the vehicle's owner's manual or placard which is placed on the rear edge of the driver's door

Yes IO know that Dellboy but Kaptainrob said the tyre manufactures have their own recommended pressure, I was asking where that info is found.

Many manufacturers list the recommended tyre pressure in the vehicle's owner's manual or placard which is placed on the rear edge of the driver's door

Yes I know that ProAuto (I know also know who ProAuto is ref; my previous post). Kaptainrob said the tyre manufactures have their own recommended tyre pressures. What is listed in the handbook or placard is what the vehicle manufacturer recommends, not the tyre manufacturer.

I would like to know where to get this information from the tyre manufacturer. I assume it is tyre and fitment (individual vehicle) specific.

Good post Ton.

We've all seen dangerous vehicles on the road and those which drive crab-like with out of alignment rear axles are death traps.

Pickups in particular suffer cupped and/or scalloped treads through heavy loading which wears out rear shocks.

Under-inflation seems a common trait. ~ 4psi added to manufacturers tyre placard recommendation is a good rule of thumb.

Good rule of thumb, 4psi over inflated!! That will result in a worn tread in the centre. What school of thought do you come from, in the US by the look of it? Over inflation by 4psi will reduce the level of grip and make a significant difference on wet roads, increasing the risk of aquaplaning, and increasing tread wear in the centre. The vehicle will also tend to deviate from a straight line easier and with very light steering that means constant correction. Furthermore the ride will be very hard and more tiring on a long run.

Tyres will remain inflated to the recommended psi for a reasonable period unless there is a puncture, faulty tyre valve, damaged steel rim or porous aluminium alloy rim. Reasonable being 3 to 4 weeks, therefore checking them every week will only reveal a very small change and maybe 1 psi after a fortnight. Over inflate by a pound and you will be running at the optimum pressure with the tyre running at the correct temperature. However, underinflation causes heavier steering, higher fuel consumption and more rapid wear as the tyres will run hotter due to increased friction. Turning sharp corners will require much more effort too.

Remember always check the pressures when the tyres are cool as they increase in pressure with temperature. Buy your own gauge as I have seen forecourt/service station gauges 10psi out so not a good starting point!

You seem hell bent on arguing a very simple point I offer in good faith to assist with longevity and improved safety but perhaps you worked in R&D for Michelin or Pirelli?

Me Pirelli. Not from USofA.

For the benefit of general readership I elaborate:-

Tyres form an important part of the designed suspension on your vehicle and car manufacturers want their buyers to enjoy a soft ride as a result of all their hard work in design and testing. Hence recommended pressures for various rim/tyre fitments to suit varying load and/or driving conditions.

Tyre manufacturers on the other hand, know we can achieve better tyre mileage, economy and easier steering with slightly higher pressures especially as most driving is at slow speed around city areas. +4psi works for most car/pickup tyres. It will certainly NOT cause additional centre tread wear or any noticeable difference except maybe a slightly harsher ride (on bad roads). Furthermore, slight extra inflation will likely compensate for the slight loss of pressure between checks.

4 psi will have absolutely NO detrimental effect on tire wear or performance. Will enhance wear & fuel consumption. Slightly harsher ride, maybe.

As stared in above replies, decal recommendation is car manufacturers, not tire manufacturers recommendation.

Hello,

I found that a lot of customers' cars need to be realigned because of tire wear. So, I summarize how to read and how to address the problem as follows smile.png

Regards,

Ton - Owner

For more information, please contact us via the following channel:-

About us : - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/833355-proauto-auto-repair-service-parts-tire-shop-for-foreign-customers-in-chiang-mai/#entry9694226

Facebook :- https://www.facebook...proautothailand

Google Map :- https://goo.gl/H3Xrst

TEL :- o89-838-8899

attachicon.giftire_pattern.jpg

What is your opinion on Nitrogen? In the US they charge about $20 to inflate 4 tyres, about the same in Japan. I know the reason in aircraft and max performance applications but I think it is a waste of money for passenger cars. Edited by arunsakda