How to read tire wear

ProAuto

Hello,

I found that a lot of customers' cars need to be realigned because of tire wear. So, I summarize how to read and how to address the problem as follows smile.png

Regards,

Ton - Owner

For more information, please contact us via the following channel:-

About us : - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/833355-proauto-auto-repair-service-parts-tire-shop-for-foreign-customers-in-chiang-mai/#entry9694226
Facebook :- https://www.facebook...proautothailand

Google Map :- https://goo.gl/H3Xrst

TEL :- o89-838-8899

post-566-0-92977000-1439385717_thumb.jpg

Good post Ton.

We've all seen dangerous vehicles on the road and those which drive crab-like with out of alignment rear axles are death traps.

Pickups in particular suffer cupped and/or scalloped treads through heavy loading which wears out rear shocks.

Under-inflation seems a common trait. ~ 4psi added to manufacturers tyre placard recommendation is a good rule of thumb.

Here's another tire tip. All the major manufacturers have factories here as well as in other Asian countries. Your tires will have a code number which indicates the factory of origin. Always try to get the ones manufactured in Japan, which are known to last longer and wear better.

Adjust pressure when tyres are cool..... yeah that's a bit difficult in my neck of the woods.

biggrin.png

Not really. Ambient air temps are ok. Check and adjust before long trip or high speed.

Low pressure in tyres will result in higher operating temperature during sustained highway speed which may cause failure in old or worn tyres.

Adjust pressure when tyres are cool..... yeah that's a bit difficult in my neck of the woods.

biggrin.png

Not really. Ambient air temps are ok. Check and adjust before long trip or high speed.

Low pressure in tyres will result in higher operating temperature during sustained highway speed which may cause failure in old or worn tyres.

But my ambient temperatures are in the mid 40's at the moment.

biggrin.png

Can you tell me, if motorcycle tires are not at the recommended inflation psi (pounds per square inch), would it

be safer to be over-inflated a bit or under-inflated a bit? Of course proper inflation is ideal.

What might the liabilities of over- or under-inflation be?

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

In ambient 40c your tires will be approx +1psi compared with 30c, so not really a concern.

Can you tell me, if motorcycle tires are not at the recommended inflation psi (pounds per square inch), would it

be safer to be over-inflated a bit or under-inflated a bit? Of course proper inflation is ideal.

Scooter or big bike?

With only 2 wheels, well maintained tyres with correct inflation is essential. Scooters used at highway speeds (frequently seen around CM) and often carrying 2 or 3 persons should be fitted with tubeless rims and tyres.

Someone with extensive big bike riding experience may answer in more depth re inflation pressures though under-inflation is most dangerous IMO.

tyres always lose pressure over time, so that is the most common issue

low pressure, tyre moving around on the rim making it unstable around corners and more puncture prone

high pressure, less traction making it more likely to slide in emergency braking, harsh ride.

more issues with both over and under but either is not good.

load and conditions play a part as well

The best thing is to know what the correct pressures should be [amazing how many folks don't know this], check the pressures at a reputable garage where you can be fairly sure that they regularly service and check their Air Pump Gauge, etc...also, for overkill carry a personal tyre pressure gauge to double check--I must admit I don't do this very often--usually when out of the area and using an unfamiliar garage airline. And always try to check early in the day--before the sun gets up.

Just checking regularly would be a good start, for many folks.

Useful Post OP--even if it's a bit of an advertising number--still, if it makes for safer roads, go for it.

Scooter or big bike?

With only 2 wheels, well maintained tyres with correct inflation is essential. Scooters used at highway speeds (frequently seen around CM) and often carrying 2 or 3 persons should be fitted with tubeless rims and tyres.

Someone with extensive big bike riding experience may answer in more depth re inflation pressures though under-inflation is most dangerous IMO.

Oh, hi Rob,

I have a Honda PCX which I usually ride alone or with a light-weight passenger on occasion, and at speeds not exceeding 80 kph.

I do carry with me a tire gauge whether on the PXC or my bicycle. I never or hardly ever allow my bike tires to go below 65 pounds, but the PCX is another story. I am a bit lazy about keeping 30 psi in the front and 40 in the back. The brand I have is Michelin; I know that I should check them more frequently than I actually do.

And here's a totally unrelated question: Why is it in that some posts on this forum the sentences will appear to go on and on,

off the monitor screen to the right? Generally, like 99% of the time, the full post and replies to the original post will all be

contained on the screen without having to scroll farther to the right.

I don't think it's a setting that I might have somehow messed up in my profile or such. Surely others have experienced this too.

I'm curious about what makes this happen and how to prevent it.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

In ambient 40c your tires will be approx +1psi compared with 30c, so not really a concern.

So I can just pressure them as per manufacturers spec?

Oh good.

Other tips - for a car get a Tyre Pressure Management System which monitors your TP and can tell you realtime if they are overheating or deflating through a smartphone app.

For bikes get OKO which not only seals punctures to prevent you crashing but also helps to maintain tyre pressure even if you don't have a puncture - this is different to the stuff you use after a puncture to reflate and seal - that destroys your tyre.

Excellent post.I used to do some amateur motor racing where being able to 'read' the tyre was essential to be competitive.

I would caution people who rely solely on the figure in the vehicle hand book. Many years ago handbooks would give different pressures, particularly rear, for different

loading for trucks and estate cars and also higher figures for high speed cruising but that meant of course nobody increased the pressures

in their estate car when it was occasionally fully loaded so now one just gets the 'fully loaded figure.

On our Isuzu truck which is almost never loaded I run the rear tyres about 2psi less than the front which is way under the recommended figure but results in even tyre wear.

Oh, hi Rob,

I have a Honda PCX which I usually ride alone or with a light-weight passenger on occasion, and at speeds not exceeding 80 kph.

I do carry with me a tire gauge whether on the PXC or my bicycle. I never or hardly ever allow my bike tires to go below 65 pounds, but the PCX is another story. I am a bit lazy about keeping 30 psi in the front and 40 in the back. The brand I have is Michelin; I know that I should check them more frequently than I actually do.

The manufacturer recommends 29psi front and 33psi rear and an extra 3psi in the rear if carrying a passenger for the PCX.

I always use my own gauge as i've noticed inaccuracy of + or - 12% on the fancy digital read outs at quite a few gas station pumps here.

The one around the corner i know shows +4psi of what it actually puts in so i always inflate 4psi more on the read out. That has some Thais shaking their head..."stupid farang" type stuff i guess.

Edited by Coaster11

Good post Ton.

We've all seen dangerous vehicles on the road and those which drive crab-like with out of alignment rear axles are death traps.

Pickups in particular suffer cupped and/or scalloped treads through heavy loading which wears out rear shocks.

Under-inflation seems a common trait. ~ 4psi added to manufacturers tyre placard recommendation is a good rule of thumb.

is a good rule of thumb...........

The 'rule of thumb' has been said to derive from the belief that English law allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick so long as it is was no thicker than his thumb....... . No offence intended Captain, Phrases intrigue me...... Yes agree a great Post.thumbsup.gif

Slainte

Have a question for Ton. At last service where I had done 25k (the tyres are Maxxis marauder II 256/50R20 112V) I was told I should replace my tyres because they were GOING HARD and potentially losing grip. Tread is fine for depth and I would normally expect to get around 40k from decent tryes before I look at changing. I have never heard of this problem in Australia. Your thoughts on this

Have a question for Ton. At last service where I had done 25k (the tyres are Maxxis marauder II 256/50R20 112V) I was told I should replace my tyres because they were GOING HARD and potentially losing grip. Tread is fine for depth and I would normally expect to get around 40k from decent tryes before I look at changing. I have never heard of this problem in Australia. Your thoughts on this

Please excuse me for responding when not invited ...

Tyres are manufactured for different climates with varying grades of rubber and synthetic compounds to suit. In countries like Australia where 2nd hand Jap or Euro tyre imports are allowed one should be very wary of OLD tyres originally made for, and used in cold climates.

Thai OEM or retro-fitted new tyres will have been manufactured to suit a tropical climate and may last many years [my Dmax Bridgestones now at 8 years] ... only professional inspection can determine the truth and therein lies a problem ...

Tyre retailers like to make sales and generally, employees in Th are poorly trained in ethical standards. Thus it was nice for me to come across an honest new business like Ton's.

Tyre age as per sidewall stamp >

Post_2000_Full_Dot.jpg

On right: manufacture date is month 51, 2007.

Professional, qualified inspection looks for sidewall cracks and impact damage, tread depth and wear. Tyre age [alone] is not an accurate indicator.

Good post Ton.

You shouldn't need to add anything to the manufacturer's PSI figure. But all vehicles need a higher pressure for extra loads - heavy luggage/full complement of passengers. That, in Thailand, is a problem.

Good post Ton.

You shouldn't need to add anything to the manufacturer's PSI figure. But all vehicles need a higher pressure for extra loads - heavy luggage/full complement of passengers. That, in Thailand, is a problem.

Not so Jon.

Pirelli and Michelin, among the World's largest tyre manufacturing (incl R&D) equipment, recommend pressures ABOVE that of the vehicle manufacturer. The reason for Manufacturers recommended pressures is simple. Comfort. Buy a new Camry or Triton and enjoy a soft ride.

Longevity of tyres is usually achieved with higher pressure ... and a slightly harsher ride. Especially around town.

Good post Ton.

Not so Jon.

Pirelli and Michelin, among the World's largest tyre manufacturing (incl R&D) equipment, recommend pressures ABOVE that of the vehicle manufacturer. The reason for Manufacturers recommended pressures is simple. Comfort. Buy a new Camry or Triton and enjoy a soft ride.

Longevity of tyres is usually achieved with higher pressure ... and a slightly harsher ride. Especially around town.

And what are those pressure then, are they written on the sidewall of the tyre ?

Good post Ton.

Not so Jon.

And what are those pressure then, are they written on the sidewall of the tyre ?

The Maximum allowable Pressure is stamped on the tyre.

From experience on a largish bike if the front tyre is even a bit low the steering is starting to get very heavy. The back tyre isn't quite so noticeable as its quite substantial, you might expect it to fishtail more than it actually does. Someone mentioned a tyre addative to prevent loss of pressure. There are a number of products, I have Goop in my tyres which supposedly will seal anything up to a 5mm hole. I wouldnt like to try it but it is a bit of peace of mind to have something that can help prevent a blow out.

Good post Ton.

Not so Jon.

Recommended to add 4psi to vehicle manufacturers pressures depending on operating conditions. If you run non standard size or very low profile then consult with ProAuto.

Good post Ton.

Good rule of thumb, 4psi over inflated!! That will result in a worn tread in the centre. What school of thought do you come from, in the US by the look of it? Over inflation by 4psi will reduce the level of grip and make a significant difference on wet roads, increasing the risk of aquaplaning, and increasing tread wear in the centre. The vehicle will also tend to deviate from a straight line easier and with very light steering that means constant correction. Furthermore the ride will be very hard and more tiring on a long run.

Tyres will remain inflated to the recommended psi for a reasonable period unless there is a puncture, faulty tyre valve, damaged steel rim or porous aluminium alloy rim. Reasonable being 3 to 4 weeks, therefore checking them every week will only reveal a very small change and maybe 1 psi after a fortnight. Over inflate by a pound and you will be running at the optimum pressure with the tyre running at the correct temperature. However, underinflation causes heavier steering, higher fuel consumption and more rapid wear as the tyres will run hotter due to increased friction. Turning sharp corners will require much more effort too.

Remember always check the pressures when the tyres are cool as they increase in pressure with temperature. Buy your own gauge as I have seen forecourt/service station gauges 10psi out so not a good starting point!

Not so Jon.

Recommended to add 4psi to vehicle manufacturers pressures depending on operating conditions. If you run non standard size or very low profile then consult with ProAuto.

Do you have any literature from either Pirelli or Michelin stating this ?

Who or what is is ProAuto ?