Christian Bangkok Hospital health check review

crafty1

The testing is done fine (true in all the hospitals in my experience) but the one time I had a check up there the doctor's review of findings (the weakest link in the chain, as a rule) was dreadful. A largely inaudible rote monologue from a clearly very bored doctor with no real attention paid to understanding the results in the context of the individual patient history. Unfortunately that is more often than not the case. Could just have been the specific doctor, I don't know how many they have in the wellness clinic, but this put me off going back.

I think you'll find the costs at St Louis similar and I found the physician review there quite adequate. Though again, it may vary with the particular doctor one gets.

Wherever you go, be proactive about ensuring that any abnormal results are explained to your satisfaction. And do your homework ahead of time in terms of which tests you need, the way the packages are designed doesn't make much sense especially for Westerners whose risk profile is not identical to that of Asians. Note that tests can be "added on" to a package and it will sometimes be more economical to add a few tests onto a lower end package than to go for a higher end one.

Sheryl. I know this is overly simplistic but would still be helpful to know. Keeping this sort of package check-up in mind, what would be your "Top 10" (or whatever number actually), tests a person with no outward symptoms, just interested in an overall evaluation should consider important and what tests are kind of a waste of time and money?

I had an annual check up there about 5 years ago, and have also had them at BNH and St. Louis Hospitals. Each has good points and bad points, but the most memorable event was the one at BCH. The Doctor grabbed me by the throat and started 'throttling' me. I have never had that before.

But then he did discover some thyroid lumps (goitre?) that other expensive check ups had missed. (I still have the lumps, same size after 5 years so they must have been there for a long time).

Sheryl. I know this is overly simplistic but would still be helpful to know. Keeping this sort of package check-up in mind, what would be your "Top 10" (or whatever number actually), tests a person with no outward symptoms, just interested in an overall evaluation should consider important and what tests are kind of a waste of time and money?

It depends on age, medical history and family history. There is no one size fits all answer that covers all age groups.

I have a check-up done every year, mostly because it works out much cheaper than having the individual tests etc done separately.

The package I tend to go for is similar to the Healthy 3 at 4500B here: http://bch.in.th/th/promotion-th/item/219-pro1.html but I get mine done at Phyathai in Si Racha where they do all that plus a PSA test for under 4000B (depending on the promotion of the month).

Given that an ultrasound alone cost me nearly 4000B at Pattaya International I think the package is a good deal.

This is the one I'll be doing soon: http://www.phyathai-sriracha.com/en/promotion/showpic.php?printPic=images/08-2558/mom082015_eng.jpg

Edited by KittenKong