Severe weather, flooding in Phuket

webfact

Eakkapop Thongtub

1439358145_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- The weather has taken a turn for the worse as severe flooding has caused chaos on Phuket's roads.

Traffic is still going slow on Thepkasattri Rd, particularly the road by Thalang School where officials are currently trying to drain out the floods.

Traffic continues at a slow pace on Thepkrasattri Rd through to Phuket International Airport, with many vehicles on the road.

Excess water is also flowing in from Khao Phra Thaeo.

Thepkrasattri District Municipality continues to dig up the drains to allow the excess water to flow through into the canal and hopefully clear the roads.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/severe-weather-flooding-in-phuket-53616.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-12

Am I right in thinking that this is where they want to build some huge underpasses to ease traffic congestion? Doesn't seem like a very good place to dig big holes in the ground.

Different place.

I must say though I don't see why if it were the same place it would not be a good idea to build an underpass. All is needed is good drainage.

Am I right in thinking that this is where they want to build some huge underpasses to ease traffic congestion? Doesn't seem like a very good place to dig big holes in the ground.

Different place.

I must say though I don't see why if it were the same place it would not be a good idea to build an underpass. All is needed is good drainage.

thats why the navy wants the U-boats

to control such situations from the ground !!

How hard is it to build storm drains out to the ocean? No planning, no infrastructure.

Actually harder than you think when the land is often at .. or below sea level.

Try getting water to flow over several kilometers with no real slope, and then push against an incoming, wind driven tide.

Get back to us when you solve that.

The only solution is a series of pumping stations ... and just how many of those are you willing to build?

Let me guess who would be in front of the "Are kidding me with all this piping and dirty water being pumped in all these massive systems ... right across our wonderful beaches" parade.

I wonder what the elevation of your home city far from the equator and massive tropic storms was?

Your not in Kansas anymore Toto.

Some insane try to drive thru then after wondering the car stop and engine broke down smile.png

Not sure how long you have lived in Thailand...or if you do at all.

If you did, you would know it is standard operating procedure in flood prone areas to equip trucks and cars with watertight elevated air intakes and elevated exhausts.

This is a photo of localized flooding, and the air intake has exactly zero chance of an issue.

No one in this photo is "broken down"

Get over it Chicken Little .. this is life on the equator during Monsoon Season.

Different place.

I don't think it is, this is in Thalang and to my knowledge they have only signed the contract for Chalong underpass, which is going to be fun to watch how they're going to solve the traffic jam during construction, as it's already a bloody mess.

Every morning after 7.15, there's two lanes of traffic from almost half way from Rawai to Chalong circle, will be real interesting to see how they are going to build a tunnel under the circle and where they are going to reroute the present traffic?

Different place.

Yes, of course professor .. all that is needed is "good drainage" to push a small river's worth of water UPHILL ... since the underpass would likely be BELOW SEA LEVEL.

I do not know why, but often when I read these ridiculous "it is all so easy" suggestions . I do it with a British Accent in my head.

Different place.

Yes, of course professor .. all that is needed is "good drainage" to push a small river's worth of water UPHILL ... since the underpass would likely be BELOW SEA LEVEL.

I do not know why, but often when I read these ridiculous "it is all so easy" suggestions . I do it with a British Accent in my head.

I don't see why the underpass at Thepkassatri would be below sealevel, as compared to the present underpasses, one completed so far without any floodings. This despite all TV posters stating it would be flooded after every single rainshower.

So maybe you can explain to me why that underpass would flood and the one in use at the moment is not?

Different place.

I don't see why the underpass at Thepkassatri would be below sealevel, as compared to the present underpasses, one completed so far without any floodings. This despite all TV posters stating it would be flooded after every single rainshower.

So maybe you can explain to me why that underpass would flood and the one in use at the moment is not?

Agree with you there for now, but the pumps will require maintenance and likely sit idle from January through to April. Give it a couple of dry seasons and the pumps seals will have failed - if not attended to they'll leak like mad and / or bearings will be wrecked and windings shorted out leading to failure.

Here maintenance is reactive and lethargic even then. It need to be pro-active - a notion missing at the moment in the majority of cases.

Different place.

I do not know that area so excuse me if for some reason this is a silly reply ,but as people are saying this tunnel is going to be below sea level would it not solve a lot of problems if they built a flyover.?

This five mins from where I live, there are no plans to put in an underpass, not required without the rains its a good stretch of road.

I believe all that's required like many roads here is education of waste management, constantly see the drains blocked , no brain errrr

Different place.

and a disgusting arrogance to other members I can see ... bah.gif

What? There are no flash floods in Phuket. All the rumours are simply exaggerated.

Today at a gasoline station in Thalang.
19890839423_e571094022_c.jpg

To be honest, there was not that much of water. I guess this guy dropped something to the water an tried to look his missing item.

He's facial impression is still priceless, looking towards oncoming traffic. Most likely either smiling or terrified drivers. :)

I am wondering if this area needs a bit of elevated road way to cure the problem. In my mind an

underpass goes lower than the road way, while an over pass goes over a road way. Maybe an overpass

would be a fix of this situation. One thing to consider is that they cost a lot of money to build.

The solution of the pickups with the elevated air intakes to get thru flooded areas is a much cheaper

solution for the people who have to get around at all times of the year. I saw a lot of those converted vehicles

in both pickup trucks and cars after the big flood of BKK in 2009 or what ever year it was. So whether you are a Brit, American, European, or Canadian

expat or tourist, this is just another flood, nothing to get alarmed about, just get your feet wet if you are in the area.

Here are two pictures of Hua Hin on a rainy day, looks serious, but two hours after the rain stopped the water was all

gone. I am just saying that even though the situation in Phuket is far more serious, and lasts longer, most people

there are used to the occasional flood and live through it.

post-217497-0-22451300-1439403791_thumb.

post-217497-0-58909200-1439403803_thumb.

Different place.

No your both wrong, the proposed underpass will be the drainage !