Family of 3 killed in East Pattaya Road Crash

webfact

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did not see the truck ????????? can you see how big that truck is ???????????

My Mrs was talking to me of this last night as it happened quite close to where we live.

An impatient overtaking manoeuvre either on a bend or before the brow of a hill seems likely. I travel on this stretch, heading for HWY 331 and you have to hold back due to bends and hills. This is rather sad as they were visiting the mother and had only come from Pong which isn't very far. A whole family wiped out due to impatience.

Reckless, blind overtaking is endemic throughout Thailand. I see it every day. Me First at all,costs. And amulets before seatbelts and common sense. If you cannot see the whole road required for the whole maneuver, don't pass! It possibly is not the cause in this case but the likelihood is so extremely high that I would bet it is the cause. Incredibly sad for any remaining or extended family and another preventable tragedy & loss for Thailand.

So the truck driver has been absolved of any blame by ThaiVisa members, if the car driver had been a Farang it would have been a totally different story.

The Truck driver being Thai would have been to blame, he must have been speeding, on yaba, drunk, you know how crazy the Thai truck drivers are ... etc etc

It would have been twisted to lay the blame on a Thai, any Thai, cos Farangs don't have accidents in their own countries with other Farangs, they never drive drunk, they never exceed the speed limits etc etc, yeah right.........

http://asirt.org/Initiatives/Informing-Road-Users/Road-Safety-Facts/Road-Crash-Statistics

Why should we blame the truck driver?

Because he's Thai and this is ThaiVisa.

Tragic accident.

Edited by Broken Record

So the truck driver has been absolved of any blame by ThaiVisa members, if the car driver had been a Farang it would have been a totally different story.

The Truck driver being Thai would have been to blame, he must have been speeding, on yaba, drunk, you know how crazy the Thai truck drivers are ... etc etc

It would have been twisted to lay the blame on a Thai, any Thai, cos Farangs don't have accidents in their own countries with other Farangs, they never drive drunk, they never exceed the speed limits etc etc, yeah right.........

http://asirt.org/Initiatives/Informing-Road-Users/Road-Safety-Facts/Road-Crash-Statistics

The report / article states that the BMW was overtaking at the time of the collision.

Nationality is irrelevant... IF the article is correct the truck driver was not at fault.

How this can be turned into a Farang vs Thai issue is beyond me. Sometimes on ThaiVisa.com in an attempt to appear 'so well balanced' some posters just come across as daft.

Edited by richard_smith237

My Mrs was talking to me of this last night as it happened quite close to where we live.

An impatient overtaking manoeuvre either on a bend or before the brow of a hill seems likely. I travel on this stretch, heading for HWY 331 and you have to hold back due to bends and hills. This is rather sad as they were visiting the mother and had only come from Pong which isn't very far. A whole family wiped out due to impatience.

Thais preach Jai Yen, but when put behind a steering wheel its Jai Lorn

I was travelling with a Thai friend who was driving my car on a rather winding road leading out of Chiang Mai.

The road was very clearly marked, and when he flicked on the indicator (yes, I'd been training him!) to overtake a truck, I asked him what the hell was he doing, as it was a double yellow line.

"Oh, it's not the law, it's only advisory" say he. bah.gif

I think a few high profile and expensive fines are well in order, once the government stops worrying about adult university students drinking beer near their campuses.

A likely scenario. BMW driver passes on a hill or a curve when a truck pops up. He does not slow down and in fact speeds up instead. He assumes the truck will come to a screeching stop when he sees his BMW and let him pass. For whatever reason (inattention, distraction, lighting a cigarette, cell phone) the truck does not comply and you have this tragedy. Occurs many times here in Pattaya on straight roads - they just don't seem to give a damn.

That sounds right. He didn't see the truck till too late because he was overtaking without being able to see if the road ahead was clear, but went anyway. I see it all the time on long journeys. One time a car overtook me as I was in the passing lane beside a truck, and an oncoming car in clear sight. Had the oncoming driver not taken evasive action, he, the offending driver and I would all have been taken out.

Even when there is no advantage to overtaking eg on a congested road, maniacs still overtake me, often on the left, as I leave a gap between myself and the car in front.

RIP to the family.

One thing that is clear, he was over taking at high speed.

with his family in the car.

This is all to common in Thailand. so sad

He was driving a Beemer more than likely had the pedal to the metal. Sadly the old must die but the young can die.

Reckless, blind overtaking is endemic throughout Thailand. I see it every day. Me First at all,costs. And amulets before seatbelts and common sense. If you cannot see the whole road required for the whole maneuver, don't pass! It possibly is not the cause in this case but the likelihood is so extremely high that I would bet it is the cause. Incredibly sad for any remaining or extended family and another preventable tragedy & loss for Thailand.

I follow that advice, but am overtaken by many Thai drivers that can't see a clear road ahead.

Have plenty of footage on my dash cam of these situations.

Could you contact me please. I'd be grateful for some of this footage for inclusion in a kindle book about traveling & living in Thailand.

I was trying to send a message but did not work out, it said you can't receive messages.

You really do sound like a old Broken Record

If the news report is accurate, the car driver was clearly to blame, irrespective of race. It's only incidents where blame is not clear that Thainess comes into play, mainly because any of us that drive on the roads see it all the time.

High Performance Cars should not be sold in Thailand..... Why!!!! because the people who get them become Assassin's.... they think they are immortal when they get behind the wheel,they

have no idea how to handle a High Powered Car, totally no respect for other Road users, no consideration for there passengers, they don't know the rules of the Road... double Yellow Line's means...Overtake... to these people ....

....SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE TO STOP INNOCENT CHILDREN BEEN KILLED ON THAI ROADS....

R.I.P

No a farang would have suicided in the truck !

How does anyone know he failed to see the truck? The poor bugger and his family are all dead and cannot speak up.

Stupid reporting once again.

If it were a farang, he would most likely have had a sudden heart attack!

RIP

R.i.P.

Another tragic accident on Thailand roads, including a 5 year old little girl. So sad.

The last holiday weekend @ the end of July we saw a scooter go around a slow SUV (road divided by cones because of contruction....) he hit another SUV going the other direction sending the kid flying a good thirty feet ahead of his scooter. Why can't they just stay behind the cars instead of going in between or around????? Also they don't give the pedestrians the right-of-way, like they own the sidewalk and the roads.

High Performance Cars should not be sold in Thailand..... Why!!!! because the people who get them become Assassin's.... they think they are immortal when they get behind the wheel,they

have no idea how to handle a High Powered Car, totally no respect for other Road users, no consideration for there passengers, they don't know the rules of the Road... double Yellow Line's means...Overtake... to these people ....

....SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE TO STOP INNOCENT CHILDREN BEEN KILLED ON THAI ROADS....

R.I.P

By that reasoning ban all pickups as well. That is the type of vehicle that mostly overtakes me dangerously.

Exactly when will they ever learn, impatience, you experience it everytime you drive on Thai Roads, they drive flat out into intersections hoping to pass before they have to avoid the obstacle in front , they come up behind you and push, they wont wait for you passing the truck in front so they try to go inside and beat you.

Tragic loss and very sad, when will this stupid government mount a road education TV plan as well as get more traffic police on the road and more speed cameras.

Maniac driving considered the norm is not good enough maybe take a miracle to do something about.

Sorry on this occasion to discuss about this !

Thais know, that street is danger,

they know that they should not ,

BUT most reason is the menthality of thais !

It will not happen to me !!

Because we will go on mother day to temple !!

The temple gift might have been already in the car !

RIP

Many head on collisions while trying to pass larger vision blocking vehicle. Some of this could be avoided by a universal " Passing signal " whereby the driver of the larger vehicle, knowing there is someone eager to pass signals via hand or flicking turn signals to signify okay. Police could work this out with all drivers as to specific details.

Sick of tosspots overtaking oncoming vehicles that think flashing their headlights at me absolves them of their reckless driving standards. Just a whinge, but happens too often for comfort. Stay alert and vigilant out there folks. It's the best chance you've got

RIP

Things like this should not happen but do all to often

I dont think anything would change if the govt introduced a road safety awareness programme as it seems this is the way Thais drive and will continue to do so. It seems it is more important to them to get to their destination a minute or two early than preserve their life

RIP to the dead and condolences to their families. sad.png

Nothing wrong with the drivers' eyes - the only thing small was the pea brain in drivers head!

That's a bit to much

Half a pea would be better

Oooops...sorry gigglem.gif