What is the actual law on mods to bikes?

dictater

I was pulled over at a cop block yesterday in Nakhom Pathom by one of the BIB's who told me the aftermarket exhaust on my CBR 250 was illegal because its too loud. I asked how he measured the sound and what is the legal level. He then told me that changing the exhaust period is illegal, which I highly doubt. He checked my license and my tax and registration etc. and then stood there not knowing what to do since in the corruption-less kingdom he couldn't just put his hand out and so I rode off without opening my wallet. My exhaust is no where near as load as a stock Harley or even Ducati.

My question is though, what mods are legal or are all mods illegal, or are mods legal as long as they are noted in your green book or any combination of the like. I used to have a GSX with a lot of mods ( just normal street stuff nothing high performance made for racing) and was pulled up for a mandatory 200 baht every time I went to central BKK, that was just a case of tea money but is there any legal point here?

A Lawyer would be better to answer the Legality of Modifications...Hua Hin was handing out Tickets by the Hundreds for any Modification up to 8 Yrs ago and this caught on in other Major cities....I changed the Seat configuration on my old bike and got a Fine for making a Change that was not Original to the bike in Hua Hin...

Now other cities are following this same trend for the Money of course..

Agree with above.

All major modifications are illegal unless taken to the DLT to be checked. Then if the DLT deem them ok, your green book would be changed.

So every time you were stopped in Bangkok, it wasn't tea money, you broke the law.

And you know what makes it funny? When I changed the exhaust on my CBR500R, I went to the frickin DLT in Phuket and asked them to check it and they refused to even look at it. They told me to go to Bigwing which of course is nonsense (and Bigwing confirmed that to me).

A Lawyer would be better to answer the Legality of Modifications...Hua Hin was handing out Tickets by the Hundreds for any Modification up to 8 Yrs ago and this caught on in other Major cities....I changed the Seat configuration on my old bike and got a Fine for making a Change that was not Original to the bike in Hua Hin...

Now other cities are following this same trend for the Money of course..

I hope they hurry up to Chiang Mai and park out front of my condo they could have a field day with noisy after market mufflers. I would guesstimate that 15% of the bikes passing by have been modified. There goes one now. They could sure prime their wallets here. They could also set up a radar gun. All they would have to do is have a presence for about a week and then move on.

'Agree with above.

'All major modifications are illegal unless taken to the DLT to be checked. Then if the DLT deem them ok, your green book would be changed.

So every time you were stopped in Bangkok, it wasn't tea money, you broke the law.'

I may have broken the law, but it was most certainly tea money as there was no other exchange but my money going into the BIB's hand. As I wrote, when it happened the other day though there was no such exchange and the cop wasn't really sure as to what to do, finally he just told me I have to change it and I drove off. So according to comments made here any and all mods are illegal unless taken to the DLT and ok'd? Are there any guide lines for that I wonder. My after market exhaust was installed cause my original was damaged not because I thought it was going to turn my CBR 250 into something it isn't and I got the quietest one I could find, some how I feel like the guys at the DLT aren't going to be too helpful in solving this.

'Agree with above.

'All major modifications are illegal unless taken to the DLT to be checked. Then if the DLT deem them ok, your green book would be changed.

So every time you were stopped in Bangkok, it wasn't tea money, you broke the law.'

I may have broken the law, but it was most certainly tea money as there was no other exchange but my money going into the BIB's hand. As I wrote, when it happened the other day though there was no such exchange and the cop wasn't really sure as to what to do, finally he just told me I have to change it and I drove off. So according to comments made here any and all mods are illegal unless taken to the DLT and ok'd? Are there any guide lines for that I wonder. My after market exhaust was installed cause my original was damaged not because I thought it was going to turn my CBR 250 into something it isn't and I got the quietest one I could find, some how I feel like the guys at the DLT aren't going to be too helpful in solving this.

You are meant to have a sticker on the exhaust and have it logged in the green book for the mod exhaust to be legal.

Try the DLT, you know how it is here, it all depends on who you get. But I think that the exhaust has to be tested and verified with the manufacturer and the DLT before you put it on. So in theory they should have a list of exhausts that meet their emissions standards, but if that list exists in another matter.

The official Yoshi ones at the Kawasaki dealers are apparently fully legal to put on and have the sticker, and for the CBR they had the Moriwaki model that had an after market pipe, so there is a way to be legit.

All mods are illegal actually..... But some more illegal than others

My bike was usually louder than modified scooters that got seized and impounded in the last crackdown but I usually got waved on and teenagers on ksrs were getting the full works... It makes no sense sometimes

:)

'Agree with above.

Yes you are right of course, it became tea money but you didn't have to pay it. You could have just got the ticket or worse still, waited for the pick up truck to arrive and watch while your bike is carted away to have all its modified parts removed. Sometimes corruption definitely works in your favour.

• 2 years later...
On 8/13/2015 at 8:04 PM, beachproperty said:

There is apparently a law, that NO modifications can be made to any vehicles unless noted in the vehicle registration book (including the color)......BUT as always ...Thai's either ignore or are unaware of this law.

Absolute rubbish. The legal DB level is 95. On any bike above a 250cc. You can get the level.tested at the DLT and ask for a written report. PAY THEM..Keep the paper with you. THE RTP are shit talkers and will try anything period.

On 8/14/2015 at 10:15 AM, dictater said:

'Agree with above.

More bullshit a exhaust must not go beyond 95 DB at high acceleration this is read on the meter at the DLT.  I race and own several street bikes all large all modified. THE DLT don't know what day it is and as long as the bike looks fairly standard and the noise is below. YOU have that test paper the police can't do shit. Because if there's a issue the bike gets sound test there anyway. LOL I just cut them off at the pass end of story. Next sucker

On 8/13/2015 at 11:36 PM, eisfeld said:

And you know what makes it funny? When I changed the exhaust on my CBR500R, I went to the frickin DLT in Phuket and asked them to check it and they refused to even look at it. They told me to go to Bigwing which of course is nonsense (and Bigwing confirmed that to me).

Phuket are criminals working with the police 

On 8/14/2015 at 10:15 AM, dictater said:

'Agree with above.

Did not break.any law it's all on scooters not big liter bikes. RTP Scammers 

10 hours ago, Media1 said:

95 DB at high acceleration

Small correction: IIRC it's at 50% of the RPM at which the bike makes max power if that's more than 5k RPM, otherwise 75% if max power at under 5k RPM. Most bigger motorcycles will do max power at over 5k so 50% of that. And not a single person at the DLT or any of the smaller PoRoBor shops that I've met knows about this. They always measure at idle ?

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Small correction: IIRC it's at 50% of the RPM at which the bike makes max power if that's more than 5k RPM, otherwise 75% if max power at under 5k RPM. Most bigger motorcycles will do max power at over 5k so 50% of that. And not a single person at the DLT or any of the smaller PoRoBor shops that I've met knows about this. They always measure at idle ?

Yeah bike shops know nothing. I have witnessed the DLT stewing it on and others at low revs. So l guess it's what banana is picked on the day.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish they'll just ban these aftermarket mufflers..they're giving me headaches. i always wear ear plugs when riding, but they are not enough.

im not sure what mods are illegal though. loud pipes and bicycle tires are ridiculous... 

9 minutes ago, alx123 said:

I wish they'll just ban these aftermarket mufflers..they're giving me headaches. i always wear ear plugs when riding, but they are not enough.

im not sure what mods are illegal though. loud pipes and bicycle tires are ridiculous... 

The vast majority of aftermarket exhausts are already illegal. Especially the loud ones. The laws are there, the enforcement is not.

Archived