nifty way to plug small leaks in concrete roofs/decks

I have a flat 'sunroof' which is a concrete slab with tile covering. There were some minute cracks which allowed water to drip down underneath. Here's what worked: Using uruthane sealer (rated for outdoor), I gently brushed it, undiluted on the cracks. then do it again - on top of the first layer, after it dries. Before doing anything, I cleaned the area to be repaired and blew away all dust. For cracks bigger than hairline, I gently poured small amount of sealer right on it.

I had tried black roof tar-like sealer before (it worked moderately) and silicone in tubes (didn't work) ....but the uruthane sealer seems to work best - because it actually fills the minute cracks where water would seep in.

I have a flat 'sunroof' which is a concrete slab with tile covering. There were some minute cracks which allowed water to drip down underneath. Here's what worked: Using uruthane sealer (rated for outdoor), I gently brushed it, undiluted on the cracks. then do it again - on top of the first layer, after it dries. Before doing anything, I cleaned the area to be repaired and blew away all dust. For cracks bigger than hairline, I gently poured small amount of sealer right on it.

I had tried black roof tar-like sealer before (it worked moderately) and silicone in tubes (didn't work) ....but the uruthane sealer seems to work best - because it actually fills the minute cracks where water would seep in.

Good morning to you .... Where you buy this stuff? Home pro or watsadoo? Can you post a snap shot of this product?

It's rather common in better quality Thai hardware stores. In the US it's called 'verathane' but basically a synthetic plasticized sealer, not quite as cheap as varnish or lacquer - though those cheaper products may work near as well for the problem mentioned in the OP.

I'm actually an epoxy nut, and I use it for may applications. I like it for many reasons, not least because it has no chemi smell. I read somewhere that the oil in epoxy actually comes from cashews (between the nut and the shell). Here's a little factoid that few people know: When the WD-40 company was experimenting with trying to find the best oil for loosening screws/bolts, they tried hundreds of possibilities; mineral oils, petroleum products, etc. Can you guess what they finally settle on? ....wait for it, ...... fish oil.

One thing I've never found in Thailand: Goop. It's kerosene-based with a look and consistency of mayonaise, although sometimes pink color. It's used mostly by mechanics when they're cleaning up, but has as many uses as duct tape. Some types have powdered pumice added. It's also great for taking labels off things you buy. If I was King, I'd have a designated person who's main job would be to take labels off things, particularly bathroom and kitchen items.

Good morning to you .... Where you buy this stuff? Home pro or watsadoo? Can you post a snap shot of this product?

OP as requested any chance of a picture so we know exactly what you are referring to?

In your other post "Goop" sounds like something called Swarfeega? http://www.swarfega.com/ - although I remember it as green coloured in the UK.

re; the type of sealer: The one I used recently is called Urethane. I don't know the brand name (gallon can is at a different location than where I'm at now).

Other types of sealers may work well, though it's good to get one rated 'exterior.' Urethane dries hard, where you can't make a mark on it with fingernail.

re; 'Swarfega' (what a weird name) - yes, same sort of stuff.

Besides goop, here are some other hardware items which can't be found in Thailand:

wood dowels

tile spacers (x-shape)

tar paper

combination shingles or roll-roofing

framing hammers (waffle-end, usually 28 ounce)

cat's paw or flat pry-bar nail extractors

loose-pin hinges

sandpaper blocks

wood planers made from metal

I used to look for light-yellow carpenter's glue, but now, after 15 yrs, have found one place (a new Home-Pro) which sells it in Chiang Rai. One place out of hundreds of hardware stores. Still looking for wood dowels though. got a project to make some wooden toy wheeled vehicles for little kids, but am having to make dowels by hand.

not strictly 'hardware', but mobile homes & travel trailers also can't be found for sale.

My roof is also concrete. First layer is concrete planks and then 4 inch concrete pour on top. It leaks very badly destroying the hanging ceiling. Told many suggestions like cover roof with floor tiles and expensive paints and more but I just fix the problem by putting another metal sheet roof 1.5 metre high on top of concrete roof all leaks problem solved and I feel the temperature is a little lower and too space can use for storage. Hope your roof is not like mine.

Archived