car registration new district

Sutty

Hi can't find anything on here re this but sure it will be somewhere. Anyway hi Ian here presently in Pattaya bit moving to Khon Kaen in 6 months or so. Question if I buy in pattaya do I have to re register/re plate the car in Khon kaen when I move. And if so what do I need for this procedure. I know I will have to change blue book to new address. Thanks in anticipation

You don't need to do *anything*. Just go to whatever DLT is closest when it's time to pay your tax, and pay your tax.

As for downsides of not changing the plates... hrmmm.. I guess everyone in KK will know where you met your wife/GF?

Edited by IMHO

Cheers Lol if only

You don't need to do *anything*. Just go to whatever DLT is closest when it's time to pay your tax, and pay your tax.

As for downsides of not changing the plates... hrmmm.. I guess everyone in KK will know where you met your wife/GF?

The replies are interesting. Four years ago I left Pattaya, and bought a second hand bike from a private party in Rayong. Had all of the correct paperwork, no problem there. I went back home to Pattaya, and traveled to the DLT to convert GreenBook and registration into my name. They said it could not be done. They told me it had to be done in Rayong, not Chonburi. Went back to Rayong, found the original shop that sold the bike new, and they handled the registration. I now re-register each year in Chonburi province.

OK got the drift leave plates as is. Won't they ask questions when I change address on blue book????? Sorry for going on just need to clarify for my piece of mind

You don't need to change the address in the blue book - unless you're worried you might miss some postal fines ;)

I now re-register each year in Chonburi province.

Its probably a language misunderstanding ( Americanism ? ) but you don't re-register every year as its already registered in your name

what you do every year is pay vehicle tax and insurance ( + road worthiness test after 5-7 years ) you can do this in any province.

Many thanks for all replies made things a lot clearer will change address on blue book but leave it plated as is thanks Ian now what do I need to take to to district transport office in way of paper work for transfer into my name. Passport and copies proof of address anything else@@!!!!

We live in Chiang Mai but deliberately kept our Udon Thani plates as my wife doesn't want to be mistaken for one of the brain dead locals. Never an issue paying taxes on it and never hassled by the brown mafia.

Udon plates rock! I now get preferred parking at Don Muang and Terminal 21 as well as Friendship Pattaya afforded by the Isaan car park security geezers from Udon Thani.

I read somewhere a few years back that 72% of all Thai plates are Bangkok registered (Krungthep Mahanakorn). When I purchased my motorcycle in Pathum Thani I even got Bangkok plates despite the fact I purchased the bike in Pathum and was living in Pathum (although my WP had a Bangkok address on it as that was where I was working at the time). Driving around Pathum Thani or Samut Prakan I find that less than 10% of vehicles in these provinces display plates from their provinces. They tend to display Bangkok plates. I think a lot of Thais purchase their cars in Bangkok but actually live elsewhere. You will see Bangkok plates with regularity in every single corner of the country and no one ever bats an eyelid. However, I have long ago started assuming that most of these vehicles are not owned by Bangkok residents, but are actually locals who happen to have Bangkok plates. While Thais do take long road trips and many people drive around the country delivering goods for a living and using pickup trucks to do so, no way that 1/3 of all vehicles one sees in some upcountry province that display Bangkok plates would indicate that they are simply visiting those provinces. They live in those provinces and just don't bother changing their registration plates.

Just like us. My fiancee's brother lives with us in Bangkok and his car displays Lampang plates. Our car has Bangkok plates as does my motorcycle.

Biggest problem is if you sell the car is say you live in khon kaen and bought car and registered it in chonburi. Having had this problem myself only yesterday to change ownership in blue book it has to be done where it is registered or change plates then can be done in khon kaen

I read somewhere a few years back that 72% of all Thai plates are Bangkok registered (Krungthep Mahanakorn). When I purchased my motorcycle in Pathum Thani I even got Bangkok plates despite the fact I purchased the bike in Pathum and was living in Pathum (although my WP had a Bangkok address on it as that was where I was working at the time). Driving around Pathum Thani or Samut Prakan I find that less than 10% of vehicles in these provinces display plates from their provinces. They tend to display Bangkok plates. I think a lot of Thais purchase their cars in Bangkok but actually live elsewhere. You will see Bangkok plates with regularity in every single corner of the country and no one ever bats an eyelid. However, I have long ago started assuming that most of these vehicles are not owned by Bangkok residents, but are actually locals who happen to have Bangkok plates. While Thais do take long road trips and many people drive around the country delivering goods for a living and using pickup trucks to do so, no way that 1/3 of all vehicles one sees in some upcountry province that display Bangkok plates would indicate that they are simply visiting those provinces. They live in those provinces and just don't bother changing their registration plates.

Just like us. My fiancee's brother lives with us in Bangkok and his car displays Lampang plates. Our car has Bangkok plates as does my motorcycle.

At the beginning of the year I purchased a new truck and was asked by the Chonburi dealer if I wanted Chonburi or Bangkok plates although if I wanted Bangkok they would take longer. I opted for Chonburi and the white plates took a week over six months to appear, so dread to think how long the Bangkok plates would have taken.

The definitive low down bought a truck in Khon Kaen went to transport office in Khon Kaen queued in the line of traffic to get vin/engine numbers checked got to front greeted with shaking heads and smiles can't do its registered in Bangkok if you want to change name in blue book Bangkok that way (pointing finger) smiles all round. Went in to offices found a very helpful lady.

First change plates to Khon Kaen

Second change name

Third come back in 3 days after you fill out forms.

Did all forms and went back 3 days later with all relevant documents I needed

Insurance

Passport and copies all signed

Proof of residency

Sellers signed I'd and house book copies and his signed permission for me to be power of attorney for him.

No queue for vin checks showed them paper re changing plates thumb up all done in 3 mins went into offices.

Went with book to read for long haul went back to friendly lady she smiled and looked at all paper work great she said all here there's a change for a ferang! ! 1 hour later I was driving out of center with new number plates and blue book in my name.

Edited by Sutty