BMTA faces lawsuit alleging NGV bid collusion

Lite Beer

BMTA faces lawsuit alleging NGV bid collusion
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An NGV operator is suing Pol General Aek Angsananont, in his capacity as chairman of the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) board, and another eight defendants for allegedly rigging bids for the purchase and maintenance of 489 NGV-fuelled buses.

Bestrin Group, which installs natural-gas-for-vehicles systems, has filed a lawsuit against Aek, who is also deputy police chief, along with seven members of the BMTA's board and the director of JVCC Joint Venture Suradej Taweesangsahultai, for alleged collusion.

The lawsuit was presented to the Criminal Court Friday by Bestrin's representative Thinnakorn Phanpanishakul, and the court will decide whether to accept it next Friday.

The BMTA invited bids for the purchase of NGV buses, including repair and maintenance, on March 23 last year, and both Bestrin and JVCC applied.

However, the plaintiff says JVCC was allowed to win the bid even though its documents were incomplete and did not declare details of the bus parts and how the vehicles were made. JVCC should have been disqualified from the very start, the lawsuit says.

The plaintiff said it had appealed to the BMTA in July to protest against the bid result, but the agency responded by saying it had done everything correctly

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/BMTA-faces-lawsuit-alleging-NGV-bid-collusion-30266610.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-14

Any good cops out there. I think the only one who has come across as sincere at all was the one who was "mao nit noi" when on traffic duty. The coup was surely only justifiable if stuff like this was tackled.

Now Thinnakorn will be lucky if all eight defendants don't win a criminal suit against him for defamation while they skate free of any corruption allegations. In Thailand, as opposed to civilized countries, allegations against someone don't have to be false for criminal defamation charges to stick. This encourages corruption and often hammers the "good guy" with criminal and large monetary sanctions just because he shined a light on the corruption.

I wonder how much money was to be made by the people who are accused of rigging this bidding? 489 NGV-fueled buses is hardly peanuts.

I'm probably mistaken but I think at one point the choice was between Chinese crap and a Swedish company - perhaps Volvo. I remember only that the one being touted was Chinese and the other was top quality European. (I think the same happens with the high speed trains which apparently would be Chinese instead of European or even Japanese. There must be a lot of money in that too?)

Oh Please, does Bestrin Group actually think anyone will believe that bid rigging, manipulation and irregularities go on here ?

Preposterous ! Didn't a Thai Chamber of Commence Uni survey prove that corruption has been reduced this year ? gigglem.gif

Some questions:

1. Why was a police officer on this panel?
  2. Doesn't he have any policing to do?
  3. Is he paid for this position? If so, is this being paid for from my taxes?
  4. What is his expertise and proven track record in this area? Is this information available for public scrutiny?
  5. Do other serving police officers and military personnel serve on other panels or boards - whether company or state enterprise? (Yes they do wink.png)
  6. Is this legislated for? IOW, can serving police or military officers legally spend 'work time' holding down non-work related positions, given that their positions and salaries are funded by the tax payer? If, so why?
  7. Will I ever get any answers to my questions?
  8. thumbsup.gif

Some questions:

1. Why was a police officer on this panel?
  2. Doesn't he have any policing to do?
  3. Is he paid for this position? If so, is this being paid for from my taxes?
  4. What is his expertise and proven track record in this area? Is this information available for public scrutiny?
  5. Do other serving police officers and military personnel serve on other panels or boards - whether company or state enterprise? (Yes they do wink.png)
  6. Is this legislated for? IOW, can serving police or military officers legally spend 'work time' holding down non-work related positions, given that their positions and salaries are funded by the tax payer? If, so why?
  7. Will I ever get any answers to my questions?
  8. thumbsup.gif

Will you ever get answers to your questions ? Hhmm, I would think a committee needs to be formed to decide on an answer to that.

Time frame will depend on how long the budget lasts for meetings in 5 star hotel restaurants.

BMTA faces lawsuit alleging collusion over NGV bus bid
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

AN NGV operator is suing Pol General Aek Angsananont, in his capacity as chairman of the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) board, and another eight defendants for allegedly rigging bids for the purchase and maintenance of 489 NGV-fuelled buses.

Bestrin Group, which installs natural-gas-for-vehicles systems, has filed a lawsuit against Aek, who is also deputy police chief, along with seven members of the BMTA's board and the director of JVCC Joint Venture Suradej Taweesangsahultai, for alleged collusion.

The lawsuit was presented to the Criminal Court yesterday by Bestrin's representative Thinnakorn Phanpanishakul, and the court will decide whether to accept it next Friday.

The BMTA invited bids for the purchase of NGV buses, including repair and maintenance, on March 23, and both Bestrin and JVCC applied.

However, the plaintiff says JVCC was allowed to win the bid even though its documents were incomplete and did not declare details of the bus parts and how the vehicles were made. JVCC should have been disqualified from the very start, the lawsuit says.

The plaintiff said it had appealed to the BMTA in July to protest against the bid result, but the agency responded by saying it had done everything correctly.

Previously, Bestrin had filed a lawsuit against BMTA and acting BMTA board chairman Prani Sukrasorn with the Administrative Court, asking for the bid results to be cancelled and the signing of the contract be halted.

However, the court refused to take up the case because it said Bestrin had not incurred losses as the BMTA had yet to release the name of the winner and sign an agreement.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/BMTA-faces-lawsuit-alleging-collusion-over-NGV-bus-30266637.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-15

"However, the court refused to take up the case because it said Bestrin had not incurred losses as the BMTA had yet to release the name of the winner and sign an agreement."

So, they don't have something such as a temporary injunction to enjoin someone from doing something until it can be investigated? The deal has to be done and corruption money paid and money lost before...?? They can't stop crooks in midstream?

Archived