'We should deepen ties with China'

Lite Beer

'We should deepen ties with China'
Supalak Ganjanakhundee
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former ambassador to Beijing urges Thailand to take advantage of China's strategy to reach out to Asean

THAI-SINO relations should go far beyond the so-called "special ties of brotherhood" to reach out to younger generations and take advantage of China's new strategy to deepen ties with Asian countries, former Thai ambassador to Beijing Vibul Koosakul said yesterday.

"Young Chinese who I reached while I was in service did not care whether we have Chinese blood or who our Chinese ancestors are, but they cared if we could offer something unique or special for them," Vibul said in a seminar at Thammasat University's Pridi Banomyong International College.

Thailand and China established modern diplomatic relations in 1975.

"But, we have never translated such [brotherhood] discourse into real things for better relations," Vibul said in fluent Chinese.

During his service in China between 2011-2014, Vibul said he used a lot of "soft power" - or the cultural aspect of diplomacy - to cement relations, and used social media to connect with young Chinese and promote "Thainess".

Thainess means the Thai way of life - its culture, food, art and traditional sports, he said.

"I think it works, no matter what government Thailand has. Those who love Thai durian will love Thailand too," he said.

Vibul said the policy to have a Thai cultural centre in China would materialise soon since China opened a similar centre in Bangkok a few years ago.

China's strategy to deepen ties with Asian countries, initiated by the current leadership under President Xi Jinping, creates a lot of opportunities for Thailand and other countries in Asean, he said.

China has created the "One Belt, One Road" project under the strategy while Asean has launched a connectivity initiative to better link the region. The Thai private sector should look at this as window of opportunity, he said.

In the meantime, entrepreneurs from China should cooperate with their counterparts and partners on an equal basis for mutual benefit, he said. "President Xi always says our treatment of neighbours should be the same as we would want them to treat us," he said.

Chinese professor Zhang Xizhen from Beijing University, who is teaching at the Pridi Banomyong International College at Thammasat University, said the "down south/westward" strategy initiated by the Chinese government aimed to develop infrastructure, promote connectivity and build a community with a common destiny via neighbouring countries.

The One Belt, One Road initiative aims to recreate the ancient Silk Road overland to the west and deliver a 21st century maritime Silk Road to link with Southeast Asia, South Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

Beijing has established the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and the Silk Road and the Maritime Silk Road funds to finance the projects, which Thailand has actively joined, Zhang said.

The new strategy comes at a time when Thailand needs cooperation to develop its infrastructure to boost the economy, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/We-should-deepen-ties-with-China-30266638.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-15

"China's strategy to reach out to Asean" Let me rephrase that "Our factories are closing faster than we can generate new business, we need you to buy buy buy!" I do buy in China and every week I get 50 to 60 emails from company reps wanting me to buy....but they don't say that it's more like:

1/ How are you and how is your family?

2/ Haven't hear from you for a long time, how are you?

3/ John, I want to let you know our factory can give you special price.

4/ When are you coming to visit us again, we have new product to show you.

5/ Are you coming to Canton Fair 2015? We are in booth number....

Their RRR's is in a sling now and it's going to get ugly!

Thai durian? Durian is a Malay/Indonesian word and is in fact native to there.

Still though, that's like us Brits claiming tea laugh.png

Oh and most young, switched on Thais I speak to want to be NOTHING like China. Thai influenced Western democracy maybe deeply, deeply flawed but the alternative of the Chinese style of governance is terrifying prospect.

People still believing that China products are low quality, cheap made, etc, etc....Wroonggggg.

Most very high quality and very expensive products in the world are made in China now, from Apple to Asus and Sansung, from Ford to Honda, from Casio to Bulgary, from Levis to Dior.

China do not make the best cars in the world because..at this time...it is better business to build the parts for other makers. American made cars were no competition to Japanese cars in the 80s, but its engines had good reputation.

Since the 90s, the biggest Ford engines factory is located in China.

China have the labor power, and now the financial power...and its economy is growing faster than any other country.... and its is in Asia.

Why look in other way?

Edited by BKResort

The Chinese are already here............. (disguised as immigrants into Siam, many many years ago, as they enforced the status of FACE in a brainwashing manner until today...... )

Edited by MaxLee

People still believing that China products are low quality, cheap made, etc, etc....Wroonggggg.

Most very high quality and very expensive products in the world are made in China now, from Apple to Asus and Sansung, from Ford to Honda, from Casio to Bulgary, from Levis to Dior.

China do not make the best cars in the world because..at this time...it is better business to build the parts for other makers. American made cars were no competition to Japanese cars in the 80s, but its engines had good reputation.

Since the 90s, the biggest Ford engines factory is located in China.

China have the labor power, and now the financial power...and its economy is growing faster than any other country.... and its is in Asia.

Why look in other way?

In the USA, it has been almost impossible, for MANY years to find automotive tools that are not made in China or Taiwan.

I was in Taiwan once & needed set of sockets wrenches for work. It took a translator & 15 trips all around Taipei to find a shop, and the tools were made in.....Wait for it......The USA.

They were a ruff bunch in Taiwan, but if I could bump into a few (and the Chinese women are very few that look like the one on the right), I'd enjoy some "deeper ties" with them.

Nearly 1 Million Chinese Tourists Expected in October

I saw a Chinese gal in Taipei once with a shirt that said "Just Do Me!"

It was an obvious take-off of the the old Nike saying "Just do it!"

Taipei... I spent a lot of time there and miss it like a root canal at the dentist office.

Edited by jaywalker

China's strategy to deepen ties with Asian countries, initiated by the current leadership under President Xi Jinping, creates a lot of opportunities for Thailand and other countries in Asean, he said.

Not to bring up a sore subject, but last time I looked (yesterday) several ASEAN countries, plus the US, the Australians, and a few others, were continuing to object to the Chinese activities in the South China Sea. The Chinese strategy to deepen ties is a tad schizophrenic.

Bad Idea. Thailand should better satisfy the US. China is a sinking Boat.

rofl, they have just 1.5 billion people and their current economic problem is that they have just 6% economic grow instead of the usual 7.5.

Look around in your house and check what is NOT made in China......

While they have their problems a sinking boat looks different......

Thainess means the Thai way of life - its culture, food, art and traditional sports, he said.

Finally, we have an official definition of Thainess. The days of mystical, awe-inducing vagueness are over when it comes to Thainess..., or maybe not.

when you read the article... sounds like the guy had too many drunk.gif .... what does "Thainess" have to do with deep ties with china? strange comments indeed...

I think Thai's have trouble with the chinese that live here already... not sure what they would do with a 'full on chinese' don't think they could handle it.

I understand Cambodia is getting really chinese acclimated.

One thing about Asian to Asian deep ties... there is a price to pay and it isn't very accommodating once you accept that hand... at least Asean to Western, doesn't get that much 'taken advantage of'

So root up boyz... and we can watch the show go on! :P

It may have escaped your attention but both US and Chinese economies are looking pretty ugly and carrying huge debt.

Both are corrupt, but one now has a manufacturing base, albeit handed to them by the others greedy corporations.

rofl, they have just 1.5 billion people and their current economic problem is that they have just 6% economic grow instead of the usual 7.5.

Look around in your house and check what is NOT made in China......

While they have their problems a sinking boat looks different......

The numbers in China are all suspect. Everything about the place is opaque. They could be broke and you wouldn't know it until the floor disappeared below you.

With the military running the government I suppose the current administrators find China an attractive neighbor to identify with. Unfortunatley with the embarassing pressure from the West about illegal human trafficking or using slave labor for the fishing industry Prayut would rather not have criticism from the free press and the communist run government of China would look appealing and more of an allie. Big time corruption, bribes, poor safety standards and simply not following the rules would be another common trait between the two countries. I hope Thailand does not entirely cut its ties with Europe and America.