Buses, Buses and More Buses.

konying

Most of us expats and visitors no doubt have noticed the ever increasing amount of tour buses in and around Pattaya blocking streets and creating traffic.

Just recently i have noticed a rather scary phenomenon.

Take a drive down Pattaya Tai from 3 road to Sukhumvit road around 8:30-9:00 am

The road is jammed packed with parked buses, i tried to count and got to at least 50 and its not reaching Sukhumvit road.

I do not know if they have some kind of morning meetings, because most certainly they can NOT all be picking up guests on Pattaya Tai at the same time on daily basis

No wonder Pattaya has traffic problems, just look at the number of buses parked on 1 roadwai.gif

Good for the local economy. One bus carries 36 people, one car only 5....buses make more sense.

Yes and 5 spend more money in 1 day than 36 do in 1 weekfacepalm.gif

Though petrol stations must do well with cars running out of fuel being stuck in traffic for hoursthumbsup.gif

Better things to do than count buses but each to there own personally I like to ponder at looking at people and guessing if they Russian or German and sometimes Indian just to make me giggle.

Not really, not much else to do when stuck in traffic because these buses parked and double parked or about to park.

At that time of the morning, sadly no Russians or Germans walking around, which leaves either nose picking or bus counting.biggrin.png

The road is jammed packed with parked buses, i tried to count and got to at least 50 and its not reaching Sukhumvit road.

I do not know if they have some kind of morning meetings, because most certainly they can NOT all be picking up guests on Pattaya Tai at the same time on daily basis

Aren't these buses parked up empty having dropped their passengers off at the pier to go to Koh Larn?

Same problem in the evening along Thappraya Road and Third Road: the buses drop people off wherever they are going for the evening (restaurants, shows, Walking Street) and then go and park up to wait for a phone call to go and pick them up.

The ones that really annoy me are the ones that triple park outside small Mike's in Second Road. One row of parked cars, one row of parked baht-buses and one row of parked tour buses. Leaving just one lane for moving traffic. And not a policeman to be seen.

Bus count update!

9:03 this morning heading to Friendship, 13 parked buses on North side of Tai.

9:44 heading back to Sukhumvit, only 4 remaining.

I can see this becoming a popular new hobby.

At 8:45, there were at least 20tongue.png

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I saw 2 of those modern double decker style buses trying to come out of the Siam Sawadee Hotel in soi Buakhou. A guy from the hotel had to come out with a long bamboo pole and push all of the overhead cables up so the buses wouldn't rip them down Unfortunately the air con caught one of the cables and down it came. Not only did these buses bring the traffic to a dead stop for 10 minutes while they were trying to get out but they caused damage as well. 2 Hours later, there were one of the phone companies trucks repairing that cable.

What are they doing bring these huge buses into Soi Buakhou? You can hardly walk there safely let alone bring these monsters in to block roads and cause damage.

The other day I saw 2 of those modern double decker style buses trying to come out of the Siam Sawadee Hotel in soi Buakhou. A guy from the hotel had to come out with a long bamboo pole and push all of the overhead cables up so the buses wouldn't rip them down Unfortunately the air con caught one of the cables and down it came. Not only did these buses bring the traffic to a dead stop for 10 minutes while they were trying to get out but they caused damage as well. 2 Hours later, there were one of the phone companies trucks repairing that cable.

What are they doing bring these huge buses into Soi Buakhou? You can hardly walk there safely let alone bring these monsters in to block roads and cause damage.

If you have a look in the smaller sois in the central parts of Pattaya just about every space big enough to park a bus has a bus parked there. Apparently the number of buses in Pattaya is now so great that they need to drive these behemoths into the smallest sois to find parking spaces.

If the number of Chinese tourists continue to increase I fear the traffic in Pattaya will come to a complete stop, as we all know how good City Hall is at tackling such problems. See the number of buses clogging up the roads in the low season and then imagine the upcoming high season coupled with holidays when the hordes from Bangkok decend on Pattaya as well and you have a nightmare scenario.

The point of the OP is, I guess, that the number has increased dramatically over the last 2 years or so.

Of course that's a good thing for a tourist-resort like Pattaya.

Only problem is, that in the first seat is a tour guide with a colored flag and the name of the Chinese tour-operator.

Apart from traffic-constipation all those buses do not bring anything else; just the designated hotels, restaurants and souvenir shops pick the flowers.

On a recent walk to Naklua I decided to take a left at around 2 sois up from Dolphin roundabout. Man, all through those sois off to the left were full of parked up buses. At least they are out of the way up there but it wasn't like that a few years ago.

Around 6 PM I counted 22 buses parked on my way to Jomtien coming from third road Pattaya. They park for the night with the result that traffic is moving slowly, who gave them permission to park anywhere ?

Around 6 PM I counted 22 buses parked on my way to Jomtien coming from third road Pattaya. They park for the night with the result that traffic is moving slowly, who gave them permission to park anywhere ?

Funny you mention it.

The other day, afternoon, saw police empty out the bus because bus parked in no parking on Pattaya Tai

Not too sure what the outcome was, but the shop owners were very happy and cheering the police,you just do not see that often

Archived