40 injured as overloaded tour bus 'slips' over road's edge in failed ascend of Patong Hill

Lite Beer

40 injured as overloaded tour bus 'slips' over road's edge in failed ascend of Patong Hill
Eakkapop Thongtub

1439607604_1.jpg

Photo: Khru Nui

PHUKET: Slippery oil was initially blamed for a tour bus slipping backward off the edge of the steep road at the base of Patong Hill, but police have since cited that the bus was too 'overloaded' to ascend the hill.

The accident occured just past the Thung Thong Police checkpoint in Kathu at aproximately 9.25am this morning.

According to an investigating traffic officer, the bus was overloaded and was unable to ascend the hill, before rolling back down several meters and off the edge.

Indeed, the outcome could have been a lot worse.

At least 40 persons have been tended to for minor injuries, and several other motorbike drivers have reported slippery conditions on the hill this morning.

Commuters between Patong and Kathu should expect traffic delays the rest of the morning, and are urged to proceed with caution.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/four-injured-as-overloaded-tour-bus-slips-over-roads-edge-in-failed-ascend-of-patong-hill-53664.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-15

Slippery oil was initially blamed for a tour bus slipping backward off the edge of the steep road at the base of Patong Hill, but police have since cited that the bus was too 'overloaded' to ascend the hill.

Overloaded = Blame the passengers for being too many????? sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.png

what is the grade of that hill?

oil is the wild card... more like brake fluid...blink.png oil is all over the streets in Thailand from all the blown engines and transmissions they don't maintain...

lucky there was not a group of scooters behind this bus. they would be like bowling pins.

The Touring buses made in Thailand make every attempt to look like a Volvo or Mercedes on what is visible to the passengers, but the engine, brake system, power train, etc are not even close to what is needed for their loaded weight to emergency stop on nor climb steep hills or as they are refered to as mountians by locals. I have noticed many run only 1 wheel/tire on each side of the rear axle. That compromises braking right there. If fist gear coupled to a adequate engine size/power does not handle a hill on the highway system in this country the bus should be sccraped. Maybe the driver did not know there was a 1 st gear as many start out in 2 nd. It is apparent backinbg downhill was not one of his better job skills

I have actually had to point out that a pickup a fellow had driven for close to a year had a 5th grear he had never gotten out of 4th on highway.

Injured tourists in Patong Hill accident on a three-day package tour

PHUKET: More details have emerged about the 39 persons on the packed tour bus that slipped off the edge of the road on Patong Hill this morning.

1439614518_1.jpg
A tourist from the Indian subcontinent emerges from the bus. Photo: Guchelsew

The bus was carrying a total of 37 tourists along with one driver and one guide.

The passengers were among a package tour group of 77 adults, who had arrived to Phuket yesterday morning (August 14) from Bangkok and are scheduled to fly out again on Sunday.

The tour group list includes names of tourists from the Indian subcontinent.

It is understood that the bus had belonged to the M/s J.K. Tyres & Industries Ltd company, and had picked up the 37 tourists this morning at 8.30am at a popular new resort on Patong's Ruamjai Rd.

According to their itinerary, the group was heading to James Bond Island via Ao Por Pier.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/injured-tourists-in-patong-hill-accident-on-a-three-day-package-tour-53666.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-08-15

Strange indeed. That section of road is actually pretty flat. It looks like the section where it goes from 2 lanes into 1, just before the temple.

If he stalled the engine, would the brakes stop operating?

Imagine coming over the hill and seeing a bus in your lane going backwards? Brown pants anyone.

I cant see any reference from any knowledgeable person that the bus was overloaded, just a dumb comment from a cop. It shows a photo of a skinny bloke who was one of the tourists. Were the rest all

fatties ? I doubt it. Another example of poor driving skills.

Another news source claims the bus was cut-off by a taxi, and after braking the bus could not handle the incline.

A bit off topic, but a few hours ago another 6 wheel truck missed the last downhill curve into Kamala and is all smashed up. From the angle of the truck, it appears that the driver fell asleep. I saw it just as the crane was being brought in. Hope it wasn't full of Myanmar workers.

Edited by Shot

It looks like the section where it goes from 2 lanes into 1, just before the temple.

Not really, it was just before the S-turn about half way up. Another source reports the driver having said "a taxi cut in front of me and I had to brake and lost power" or something like that. Quite possible explanation, many people try to take that S-turn like Schuhmacher or Hamilton or whoever.

It was not overload ,

read the news : 37 passengers + a driver and a guide ;

I cannot count the number of rows , I think it's a 12 rows one, so 52 passengers ( we never count the last row in the back , so 12 + 1 = 13 x 4 = 52) ;

it's a mechanical problem with an inexperienced driver as every day in Thailand .

Amazing foreign Insurance Companies will insure tourists going to Thailand but maybe they dont know whats going on here ...

Thai companies insure the buses, but I guess they are stupid and don't know what's going on here.

Thai roads are entirely too wide. That's why the bus was meandering.

If the roads were more narrow, the driver would be forced to pay closer attention.

that doesn't make sense

Drink more beer, then perhaps it will,........no cancel that, still makes no sense to me,. And I have drunk, drinked, drinkered....lots. ;-) Edited by BigBadGeordie

I do not personally know any person in the world that would say that oil is not slippery. What about the drivers skills? This driver should not, compared to any civilized country, be allowed to drive a bus. With the responsibility for 40 passengers. This is the same as the aviation industry in Thailand. Not my fault....

Thai roads are entirely too wide. That's why the bus was meandering.

If the roads were more narrow, the driver would be forced to pay closer attention.

that doesn't make sense

Sarcasm my friend.

It wasn't supposed to make sense, it was something I'd expect to hear from the Phuket mayor or somebody else in "officialdom".

Edited by jaywalker