Department of labor new location

Tywais

My WP is up for renewal next month and I understand that the labor department has moved from the provincial hall area near 700 stadium to nearby across the canal road. Could someone verify the Google Map location I have for accuracy? Also, location and entry into the building of the office itself. Thanks.

Google Maps Labor Dept.

Also street view, is this the entrance? Street View

Right at the end of the convention center. make left to the warehouse type buildings, go upstairs past the masses of people to the office in the back. Friendly and well stafffed.

Keep in mind that they are allowing 2 year work permits this year.

Edited by THAIJAMES

Right at the end of the convention center. make left to the warehouse type buildings, go upstairs past the masses of people to the office in the back. Friendly and well stafffed.

Keep in mind that they are allowing 2 year work permits this year.

Thanks for that. Just to be sure, is it building 1 or 2 in the below snapshot?

post-566-0-46999700-1439626862_thumb.jpg

You'll be a bit intimidated by the hundreds of Burmese when you enter the building. However, farang go to a different office in the same building on the 2nd floor. I was there recently and staff outnumbered farang around 6:1. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

How do you do it? I was having our lawyer renew mine for 7K THB. Is it something that I can do on my own?

I do it myself in the sense of physically going there and handing over the paperwork. But I work for a major university and they make sure the documents they supply me to give immigration and labor are spot on so it is easy for me to do myself. If a wp for a personal business I don't know the complexities of doing that nor documentation but suspect more subtleties involved necessitating a lawyer.

You might ask the question in the Visa/WP forum if it is for a personal business as there are quite a few who have gone through the process.

I was surprised how easy it was to do a renewal by myself. For the past 20 years or so I had my accountant do it.

This year, since the office is near where I live and I had more free time, I decided to ask what was required so that I could do it myself.

If you are an owner of a company like I am:

1. provide the company registration papers with your name on it or work contract.

2. Passport with valid visa

3. Medical certificate

4. Fill out one of their forms. (it is also in English)

5. Pay the fee

So I saved myself the 1000 baht that my accountant charges me no big deal, but it was a good learning experience.

As for persons working as employees, just go there and ask them what the requirements are, they are helpful, it should be simply a copy of your work contract as opposed to company registration papers.

If you go there, they have a list of requirements that they will give you in English

Edited by THAIJAMES

How do you do it? I was having our lawyer renew mine for 7K THB. Is it something that I can do on my own?

Thanks...

Please look at my previous post. If you don't want to do this by yourself, please keep in mind that your accountant (if you have one) can be doing the visa and work permit related stuff. Lawyers , while they are very happy to take on this kind of work are much too expensive for this kind of work.

• 1 month later...

Copied FYI from another forum entry, perhaps to help locate it more easily on the map:

For some years, the national labor department branch office in Chiang Mai was at these latitude and longitude coordinates: "18.837345N, 98.970641E".
But as of January 2015, it had been moved to a not-very-attractive temporary facility, with its entry door precisely at this location on the north-northwest corner of this sprawling warehouse building: "18.832978N, 98.961147E" I cannot verify it is still there, but likely is if people are still having trouble finding in.
Copy and paste the above latitude and longitude values (the boldfaced values, without the quote marks) into thehttp://maps.google.com search field, zoom in, and then look at the "Earth" view in the lower-left corner of the window, or open up Street View.
Edited by Bruce404