Help................Please

oxo1947

16 years in Thailand---but It's been 6 years since I have visited Chiang Mai---but that's what the family have voted for this time around. (4 Adult girls ---(yes I would be rich if I was a Thai man) ---wife & I...so .6 adults) just a 4-5 night stay in mid December. Can be a little flexible time wise but have 1 girl at Uni so I need to take in a week-end to lessen the time she is missing from school----I had looked at the Furama Hotel ....and it seemed nice, but was fully booked as were some others I viewed ---(wish I knew where this drop in Tourist numbers story is) want a mid range quite close to everything----I can do the usual hunt on Agoda etc, & I will , but would really appreciate the local impute.

Also need car hire

2 Motor bike hire

I'll come back on suggestions on where to go----as soon as I can get this all confirmed.

Thanks in advance guys............................wai2.gif

Le Meridien

I know people will jump all over me about it being too expensive, but seriously if the OP doesn't know how to use Trip Advisor or Agoda, and no other ThaiVisa member is giving any advice, then I'm just going to jump in with my favorite hotel. The pool, spa, fitness center, breakfast, staff, rooms and location are great. Sometimes, I just go to the spa, pool, and fitness center for the day to have a little 10 hour holiday. (and leave my mobile phones in the locker!)

Central - De Naga for up-market quiet resort 50m from Thapae gate OR mid-range Hotel M in middle of the (thapae gate) action. Pops bike rentals across the road on other side of moat or taxis and tuk tuks outside the doors of both. Walk most places anyway.

Le Meridien

I know people will jump all over me about it being too expensive, but seriously if the OP doesn't know how to use Trip Advisor or Agoda, and no other ThaiVisa member is giving any advice, then I'm just going to jump in with my favorite hotel. The pool, spa, fitness center, breakfast, staff, rooms and location are great. Sometimes, I just go to the spa, pool, and fitness center for the day to have a little 10 hour holiday. (and leave my mobile phones in the locker!)

I am sure Le Meridien is as good as Nancy says it is but give the bloke a break. He is travelling with his wife and four daughters and I shudder at the thought of the cost of squiring 5 woman about. Le Meridien's rates are about 3 times those of Furama.

I suggest he tries The Imperial Mae Ping. The rates are about the same as Furama and the position is excellent, between the Night Bazar and the moat.

For a reasonable mid range hotel i would suggest the empress hotel in changklan rd.......the breakfast buffet is excellent (well it was the last time i stayed there), can fill you all up for the day ......sometimes cheaper to book through the hotel website.

Le Meridien

Thanks everyone for their input & tips----Yes I have managed to master Agoda etc Nancy ....... just that sometimes local advice is invaluable.

I mean that's what this site is about.....isnt it...........but Thank you also Nancy for your favourite hotel.....it probably got the ball rolling.

Thanks all again

I would look at the B2 Hotels...www.b2hotel.com specifically, the B2 Nimman. It's kind of budget luxury, and that is a much better location than the tourist trap hotels by the Night Bazaar, and Nimman is still plenty touristy. They can be booked on Agoda, but the difference may be as little as 1%, either way.

https://www.b2hotel.com/detail.php?id=40

I would stay in or close to the old city if you are visiting as tourists. Its possible to do stuff on foot around there. Its packed with smart boutique style places nowadays. Lots of regular budget options like Top North Guest House. Nimman area has got crazy busy roads and is too modern style for me. Le Meridian is great hotel but it will have its high season price and for me the night bazaar area is the last place i would want to be. Great for Mcdonalds, Burger King and Starbucks though if you enjoy that style.

It would be helpful if the OP would state his budget per room per night, and how many rooms he needs.

I did bangmai................. (4 Adult girls ---(yes I would be rich if I was a Thai man) ---wife & I...so .6 adults) just a 4-5 nights

So probably 2 rooms if I can get a twin double to put the 4 girls in...... & I mentioned Furama. as about the pricing level although its fully booked...............

.....Thanks for all the new contributions........will check them out in the morning.......(I'm not a night person)

wai2.gif

You need to do some homework by yourself. SIlly thread!

Actually, that's some of what I was thinking when I threw out Le Meridien. The post was sinking without any response and if someone gave me a blank check to entertain four young female tourists that's the place I'd pick. Great location. Excellent breakfast buffet. Attentive staff, but not ogling the female guests at the pool like they do at Duang Tawan. Speaking of the pool, it's very nice with a great view of the mountain -- much better than Duang Tawan across the street. Excellent spa.

I knew it was probably too pricey, but that's why I questioned why he wasn't using Trip Advisor and reading reviews.

I suggest he tries The Imperial Mae Ping. The rates are about the same as Furama and the position is excellent, between the Night Bazar and the moat.

I was going to suggest looking into the Imperial Mae Ping. We spent a very nice week there on our first visit to Chiang Mai about 15 years ago, so more up to date info would be needed on current standards and whether or not it is full of tour groups, but the location was great and we really enjoyed it.

You need to do some homework by yourself. SIlly thread!

The only thing sillier then the thread-----would appear to be a person who would bother to take the time & energy in answering it, if he feels that way--------------blink.png

---------------------------------

Look Guys--The last thing I want to do is getting a keyboard war with you good folks of Chiang Mai---- but I really can not help it if 2 of you seem a little myopic.

OP#---I can do the usual hunt on Agoda etc, & I will , but would really appreciate the local impute.

Thread number #8

Yes I have managed to master Agoda etc Nancy ... .... just that sometimes local advice is invaluable.

I mean that's what this site is about.....isnt it..

Thanks you guys for your input--- I have managed to confirm the good feed back I got from some booking sites to be correct (Surprisingly enough----that isn't always the case) and booked for the dates I wanted----now I have done that with my luck, the bomb scare will send all the prices crashing down.

I would probably have mapguy & Nancy choking on their cornflakes to ask any more questions about local eateries---entertainment etc......so I'll leave it at that---& in future only post relevant stuff on the Chiang Mai section----about Donald Trump's election or the middle east situation.

Thanks again for your input.........................................coffee1.gif

Le Meridien, however as the OP hasn't given any indication of his budget in thai baht it is extremely difficult to suggest any hotel and a waste of time.

OP ... simply google hotels in Chiang Mai and you'll get all the websites that list accomodation.

It's not that difficult and by doing some work yourself you won't have to worry about TV members acting as your tour guide .... gigglem.gif

I had already done that a few weeks ago Steven100......and your right , I hardly broke a sweat out doing it,

I had already had a few PMs sent to me, & 1 hotel that I was going into--it seems that there is a restaurant next to it, that has music.........of course that's not mentioned in Google. The person just advised me to take the rooms on the opposite side as its quieter....local knowledge ...good of him to PM. me.

I guess the rant (from me) came about, because I have made sure that my 3 daughters can read & write English--- so when I told them there was a site that us farangs used , & you could ask about different things & get help, they asked to see it------- about the time that mapguy was posting how silly it was to even ask something like this on the Chiang Mai thread.

Anyway Steve....end of story--got the hotel hope to have a nice break in CM..........also learnt my lesson about asking for assistance in certain places.

Steve have a look at say the Pattaya threads---when someone asks something similar there, they really do seem to go out of their way to warn about different things to be aware of.

End of story-------end of thread................thanks again to the guys that posted

It would be helpful if the OP would state his budget per room per night, and how many rooms he needs.

I did bangmai................. (4 Adult girls ---(yes I would be rich if I was a Thai man) ---wife & I...so .6 adults) just a 4-5 nights

So probably 2 rooms if I can get a twin double to put the 4 girls in...... & I mentioned Furama. as about the pricing level although its fully booked...............

.....Thanks for all the new contributions........will check them out in the morning.......(I'm not a night person)

wai2.gif

No, you didn't. You said 6 adults and you looked at Furama. You didn't say how many rooms, or what your budget was, and still haven't. Prices range from 100-30,000 THB per night here, 1100+ places of lodging. But, looks like you got it all figured out...we'll be anxiously awaiting the reports from your day at the Tiger Kingdom, and evening at the Night Bazaar. Hopefully, they can fit you in at the orphange, but they do get mobbed that time of year.

After a hard morning mingling with expats at the Breakfast Club, I took a little "me-time" over at Le Meridien this afternoon. An hour in the fitness center working off the Breakfast Club buffet (or so I deluded myself) on the cardio machines, then personalized assistance on their weight machines from their very helpful staff member for 30 minutes. That left me ready for a light snack by the pool, followed by an swim in the pool for about 45 minutes, then a wonderful reflexology foot massage in the spa. I don't know what it is, but there is one gal there that can make my sinuses, neck and shoulders feel better with a foot massage! (and no she doesn't touch my head)

All with a great view of Doi Suthep.

Now, doesn't that sound like a nice afternoon that the OPs four young adult daughters would enjoy also? All relaxed and ready to hit the Night Bazaar. Maybe take in the Lady Boy show at Anusarn Market?

Since no budget was mentioned, why not?

And since Le Meridien has now opened their spa/pool/fitness center to local membership for a six month period it's not very expensive for us "townies" either.

Let us know where you decide to stay so we can warn the staff.

yer ....Touché taotoo...I could do that......but I would really like to shock them all when the family of Hill-Billys arrive .....wub.png

Bangmai---No, you didn't. You said 6 adults and you looked at Furama. You didn't say how many rooms, or what your budget was, and still haven't. Prices range from 100-30,000 THB per night here, 1100+ places of lodging. But, looks like you got it all figured out...we'll be anxiously awaiting the reports from your day at the Tiger Kingdom, and evening at the Night Bazaar. Hopefully, they can fit you in at the orphange, but they do get mobbed that time of year.-----Bangmai

Hi bangmai--I thought giving the info that I failed to get into the hotel Furama, because its booked out--may have indicated my price range, but I take on board what you said---& thanks for providing some help & ideas, with 4 girls in early 20s --& us in our 50s & 60s we will probably have different priorities, hence wanting a car + motor scooter, I will look up the orphanage details---we have fostered, over the years, some children from villages in our local district on short term,(1 year +) while the family's got more financial. Sounds a nice day----but I only have 5 of them, so will have to plan it.

NancyL---After a hard morning mingling with expats at the Breakfast Club, I took a little "me-time" over at Le Meridien this afternoon. An hour in the fitness center working off the Breakfast Club buffet (or so I deluded myself) on the cardio machines, then personalized assistance on their weight machines from their very helpful staff member for 30 minutes. That left me ready for a light snack by the pool, followed by an swim in the pool for about 45 minutes, then a wonderful reflexology foot massage in the spa. I don't know what it is, but there is one gal there that can make my sinuses, neck and shoulders feel better with a foot massage! (and no she doesn't touch my head)

All with a great view of Doi Suthep--Now, doesn't that sound like a nice afternoon that the OPs four young adult daughters would enjoy also? All relaxed and ready to hit the Night Bazaar. Maybe take in the Lady Boy show at Anusarn Market

Since no budget was mentioned, why not?---NancyL

Hi NancyL--Sounds like you have a very nice lifestyle--although you have once again mentioned that I haven't laid out a detailed financial plan for you ----I don't think 6 adults all joining the Le Meridien health club on a 6 month membership for our 4 night stay --will be on our agenda. But of course "Doi Suthep will be, I also enjoy the foot massage--although I often get woken up because my snoring is so loud (foot massage always has that sleep affect on me)

Nancy---thank you for the suggestions you have made.......... Oh, also please do say hello & "thank you' to mapguy at your next expat meeting, if he is an associate......his short input probably kept this ..."silly post" going a lot longer than it normally would.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys (think) I have got it all fixed up now----so thank you, ...........If the booking sites are any indication you certainly seem to in for a bumper holiday season tourist wise----I do hope that the BKK spin off doesn't dampen that down for your local business people.

Regards......coffee1.gif

Archived