Bank Letter

I would go to the branch that you opened account but anyone should be able. I have noticed them many small branches really to not want to deal with farangs.

"I have noticed them many small branches really to not want to deal with farangs."

How could you possibly have "noticed" that? My account was opened at a tiny sub-branch and they "deal" with me regularly, including issuing the annual letter for immigrations.

It may be true the some branches have few farang customers and therefore have no experience in issuing a letter to immigrations in the approved format, but that's a supposition on my part. I haven't staked out those (many) branches in order to "notice" how many farangs are refused service.

• Like 1

I am only going by my experience. I opened account with Bangkok bank and never had a problem. I decided to go hunting for a better interest rate for saving and either got you need a work permit or we do not know how for farang. I had the Thai GF with so no communication problem. Last place I went into was GSB bank, open account with my passport and Thai drivers License with double the rate of Bangkok Bank and no taxes. Now this is just a saving account not a fixed rate. Seemed to be best option the after tax looked to be about the same.

Some branches may not be able to issue the letter on-the-spot, but may ask you to return the next day to pick it up because they have to check with the home office or your home branch. But yes, in theory, any branch of your bank should be able to issue the letter. Whether they WANT to is another question.

I am only going by my experience. I opened account with Bangkok bank and never had a problem. I decided to go hunting for a better interest rate for saving and either got you need a work permit or we do not know how for farang. I had the Thai GF with so no communication problem. Last place I went into was GSB bank, open account with my passport and Thai drivers License with double the rate of Bangkok Bank and no taxes. Now this is just a saving account not a fixed rate. Seemed to be best option the after tax looked to be about the same.

I don't think it's a good idea to take along someone to translate for you when you do banking business, especially when that someone isn't a long-time family member. I've seen too many situations where foreigners have gotten themselves set up into accounts that they didn't understand (that perhaps tie up their funds in ways unacceptable to Immigration) or their girlfriends have been given access to their accounts, when that wasn't their intention.

As my father used to say about banks, investment firms, etc. "If they want my money, they can d@mnn well speak my language."

There are plenty of Thai branch banks with staff that speak understandable English.

For example, if you're from the U.K. or U.S., you just gave up an important benefit when you left Bangkok Bank. That's the only Thai bank where you can direct deposit pensions and easily do transfers from U.S. and U.K. bank accounts because only Bangkok Bank has branches in NYC and London. I do online banking between my U.S. bank and Bangkok Bank as if BB were a U.S. bank. Can't do that with any other Thai bank and Hubby's pension is direct deposited to BB each month.

Edited by NancyL

This forum is full of tales from foreigners who have had trouble getting the requisite letter from a bank, or had said letter rejected by Immigration, and thus requiring a return trip to the bank. Especially if you live outside of Bangkok, I would recommend that you select a bank branch that is as close as possible to your Immigration office. Such banks are more likely to be familiar with Immigration's requirements,and if they do prepare a letter which is unacceptable for any reason, it is easier for you to go back to the bank to have it revised.

This is better than selecting a bank which is near your home,but far from the Immigration office. Once you have your account(s) opened,and have an ATM card, you should not actually have to visit your home branch very often. Such things as deposits and passbook updates can be done at any branch (with a small fee for the former), and of course, withdrawals can be made at any bank machine that is in the ATM pool.

As I said, this advice is particularly for those who live up-country, where distances and travel times can be much greater.

This forum is full of tales from foreigners who have had trouble getting the requisite letter from a bank, or had said letter rejected by Immigration, and thus requiring a return trip to the bank. Especially if you live outside of Bangkok, I would recommend that you select a bank branch that is as close as possible to your Immigration office. Such banks are more likely to be familiar with Immigration's requirements,and if they do prepare a letter which is unacceptable for any reason, it is easier for you to go back to the bank to have it revised.

This is better than selecting a bank which is near your home,but far from the Immigration office. Once you have your account(s) opened,and have an ATM card, you should not actually have to visit your home branch very often. Such things as deposits and passbook updates can be done at any branch (with a small fee for the former), and of course, withdrawals can be made at any bank machine that is in the ATM pool.

As I said, this advice is particularly for those who live up-country, where distances and travel times can be much greater.

I hear you loud and clear. Will have to look for a Kasikorn Branch in Nakhon Pathom nearest to immigration, in case I get the "Royal-Runaround". Otherwise, here in the sticks, nobody speaks a word of English at the Banks (not even the bank-manager). I better be prepared.

Cheers.