Buying USD cash in thailand

Every exchange place is asking for passport even money exchangers on pratunam such as superrich and powerexchange. Are there any limitations how many USD individual can buy daily/monthly ? Whats the purpose of this and is is possible to get into any kind of troubles if i need to buy large sum of usd say like 30k over a month ?

Edited by maxanderson

Why would you be worried about them asking for a pp ? There are no set limits as to the amount $ you can buy, but you do know you will have to declare the $ 30 k if you cross internstional borders and risk getting it confiscated if you cant prove to them how you came by the cash

I dont know should be i worried or not. Thats why i am asking. I am not planning to take all of them out. Having stash of thb and want to exchange them into usd in case further baht devaluation. Thai customs website stated that individual can have up to 20k usd without declaration.

Nothing to worry about.

Even Thai people have to show their passport. I needed to buy currency not long ago and I was close to Super Rich head office. I didn't have my passport with me but I did have my wife and her Thai ID card. The staff at Super Rich flat out refused my wife as she didn't have her passport with her.

There is no limit to what you can buy, although some exchanges may have a daily limit.

i order Dollars and EURos with my bank and always get new crisp bills as if they were printed a day ago.

Thats worrying Naam how close is your bank to koh san road, maybe they were only printed a day ago ? :D Edited by Soutpeel

i order Dollars and EURos with my bank and always get new crisp bills as if they were printed a day ago.

Thats worrying Naam how close is your bank to koh san road, maybe they were only printed a day ago ? biggrin.png

no worries! they must be excellent forgeries because neither my wife nor me had ever problems spending them.

I dont know should be i worried or not. Thats why i am asking. I am not planning to take all of them out. Having stash of thb and want to exchange them into usd in case further baht devaluation.

Why would you need to have your USD in cash in such a case ?

I you live here, just open a foreign currency account in USD

and transfer on it the equivalent of your 30 kUSD from your THB account.

I dont know should be i worried or not. Thats why i am asking. I am not planning to take all of them out. Having stash of thb and want to exchange them into usd in case further baht devaluation.

Why would you need to have your USD in cash in such a case ?

I you live here, just open a foreign currency account in USD

and transfer on it the equivalent of your 30 kUSD from your THB account.

He may be a walt and think he is James Bond or a Columbian drug lord or something