Change Hosting

Ungabunga

Hi, I'm looking for some advice and hope you can help,

Recently my friend who took care of my website domains and hosting, sadly passed away. I am now tasked with making sure that my sites are all under control so to speak. He always ensured that I had passwords for the domain registration accounts and also the cPanel so we're okay here, no worries.

Hosting - this is the area I know absolutely nothing about. I don't know when the current hosting is due to expire or who its with as he always took care of that for me. Right now however, another issue is that I can see from my cPanel that our disk space allocation on one of my domains is full, so I need to do something about that - it's just that I don't know what exactly that should be :(

Do I need to be finding out who the current hosting company is for anything? or perhaps should I simply be looking at creating an new hosting account of my own and then moving my site(s) to it?

As you will have figured out, I'm no expert so if anyone has any ideas or recommendations on a way forward or what I should be doing I'd be grateful.

Kind regards

UB

I found that the server for 3 out of 4 of my domains is "NS-.websitewelcome.com" and when I googled that it came up listed on 'Host Gator' website. I'll see what else i can find out. Thks

In case you don't know, NS means "name server" as in where the domain name is hosted. A whois lookup says that websitewelcome is hosted in Kirkland Washington USA which is right next to where Microsoft is located. There are lots of tech boys in that neck of the woods. There's also lots of bandwidth on AT&T's main trunk line. Websitewelcome is an (supposedly) anonymous name of hostgator.com.

Some people with sites get them hosted in Singapore for autonomy from Thailand and for superior international bandwidth. The US works well also.

Try looking up your domain on whois, see what info you can get.

Godaddy is also a good hoster, and will help if you have to move

I disagree about Godaddy. It's has given one of the worst support over the years. Simply awful.

Their virtual servers were sub standard, and each seemed to have it's own, individual setup. Maybe things have changed since I moved my own and my clients servers to the Amazon EC2.

Godaddy email servers block emails every now and then, without possibility to allow emails to come through.

However their DNS service has been working quite well. I still have my domain DNS hosting under GD, but will move them away once Google DNS hosting becomes available worldwide.

What previous posters said is mostly true, but decisions always require detail knowledge.

For example, the choice for the hosting location depends on which markets your websites are targeted at.

Regarding Domains and DNS, you would probably save over 50% of the fees by moving to namecheap which I have been satisfied with for over 4 years.

I could probably make you save more money using my servers for hosting (in a high-reliability secure datacenter with redundant backbone connection in Switzerland)

thanks so far for the comments and info, very much appreciated

I have been in the website for 17 years and I can host for you, as well as help you to recover your websites.

Please contact me by private message if interested.

as yout consideration, I am running my ecommerce (Wordpress) sites with asphostportal.com.

They provide excellent support, amazing performance and reliability. Plus, they also provide multiple locations, which let's me distribute the sites closer to the target traffic for better latency.

If you're not having any problem with your current hosting aside from the disc space, I don't recommend switching to a new one.

You can contact Support inside Cpanel. On mine, it is located on the very bottom of the Cpanel page. It is also accessible at the top right area (the Help icon) and then scroll at the bottom and you will find Contact Support. I'm using Namecheap Hosting so it might vary but I'm sure there is a way to contact your hosting provider from Cpanel.

You can ask them to move you to the next plan with larger disc space or just tell them your concerns and see what they will recommend. That's easier than transferring webhost, to be honest.

Edited by edmartech

If it aint broke, dont try to fix it, if you have been happy where you are, the websites etc performing as they should, there is no reason to complicate things.

Just use the help key on your Cpanel as suggested above explain and take it from there.